Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Project Akeless

Re: Project Akeless

Have not had a lot of time or money latly but here is what I have worked on the last couple of weeks. The truss got here a little over a week ago and I got it tacked to the axle and pinion guard/support on. Bluetorch did not ship the link tabs so I had to wait on them but they show up last week and I tried to drill them for a 9/16 bolt but my drill bit is toast so I have to bring them to work and have them milled.

I recieved all of my upper link bracket parts and got them welded and the passenger side tacked to the frame. I was going to use Polyperformances brackets but decided I could do my own.

Designed in Solidworks and sent the part files to Ballistic Fab to have them laser cut and cnc bent.

and was able to get on tacked to the frame.

I need to pick up some metal sawzall blades to cut out exhuast and some bolts for the Ballistic Joints and I will be able to laying out the 4 link. I think that my lower links are going to be about 36" long. Hopfully this week (by Sunday I will have the suspension laid out and able to order link material) so I can start working on coilover mounting to figure out coilover length.

Got a little work done the last couple of days. My pitman arm arrived and I got it drilled for a 3/4" bolt.

I finally started to layout the 4-link. I am using 1.5" PVC pipe and used a hack saw to slit the end of the pipe and used a hose clamp to tighten the tube insert.

It actually holds pretty good.

Work a little today. The 4-link is layout and brackets and tabs are tacked in place. I also got the drag link cut and tacked together. All I need is to order tubeing for the links and get them tacked together so I can cycle the suspension to check for clearences and binding. I was able to get the lower link axle brackets level so they wont get hung up on the rocks as easy.

and the drag link.

Nice! Where did you get the pitman from?
    Tom

got it from Sam's Offroad, it was $130 plus shipping. You can prob make you own for way less.

Well here are the pictres I took tonight. At ride hieght the top of the axle is about 12 inches from the bottom of the frame.

At absolute full compression it is about 5.5" from the bottom of the frame.

At full droop it is about 20" to the bottom of the frame.

I jacked up the axle and placed a 6 ton jack stand under one side (close to being fully compressed), and the axle will droop till the spindle rested on the ground. The top of the axle is about 27" from the bottom of the frame.

I measured and thought that the axle was shifted to the driver side but after measuring a different way I am pretty sure that the axle is centered within about a 1/16" so I will think I am ready to start welding it all up. I am ready to order the upper shock mounts so I can get the coilovers ordered.

I have not worked very much since the last post but heres what I got done this week. I got the rear fenders marked last week and cut today. I just need to go back and clean up the edges to they are not so sharp. I ordered my upper shock mounts and coilovers this weekend so I will start working on them next weekend.

I have been kicking around a navigation setup for the Jeep. I have looked into a laptop that would mount under a seat with an external 7" or 8" LCD screen My dad and brother have this setup and it seems to work real good. I was a little worried about getting either of them wet or being able to with stand the amount of dust that it will see. I was poking around on Pirate and noticed that some buddy was using a tablet style laptop in there truck and thought that was a sweet idea. I started looking around for a ruggedized tablet and found a Panasonic Toughbook on ebay for dirt cheap compared to the cost of a new one and got it running. These things are what the military and police use. Here are a couple of pictures of what I ended up with. I am going to get a Bluetooth GPS unit and will be using Delorme Topo USA.

Well finally got some work done the last week or so. My coilovers and springs arrived last week just before we left for vacation. I was able to get things test fitted and tacked.

I thought that I was having some major spring issues but come to find out I didnt have shock extended all the way but once it was everything went together perfectly.

Once the shocks and coils were assembled I was able to install them and put wieght on it.

Some of the front side

and from the rear

and one at full extension

I was also able to get the front fenders trimed and ready for tube.

thats gonna be bad arss
    350 howell inj dana 60 front with a spool and full hydro and cromo stubs 9in in rear with a spool dana 300 tera low 4:1 sm420 with 410 gears and 38in swampers 4 linked all around.oh yeh it was a cj7.it was a jeepthing but all that s**t broke

looks amazing

Lets go Ake, time to got more work done on this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by oakesim2 View Post
    Lets go Ake, time to got more work done on this thing.
    Welcome to the club! Seems like you've been here for a while though. There's a new to the club page where you can post up and say hi and properly introduce yourself and post some pic's of your scrambler. Not many of those on here, but I'm sure you'll get a few comments on it.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101

Give it a try!

YJ - 1994, 2.5 in. Rough Country, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Silent Armors, Stone Soup Metal Works rear swing away tire carrier, hard top, bikini top, no top.

Believe it or not this project is not dead, I just ran out of money (at the time) to dump into it. My wife and I have been talking and decided that if we dont start working on it and finish it, it will never get done. So last week I started ordering some parts again. I ordered a RCI 2161A from Summit and it arrived last night.

Now for the big purchase that took place last week. I went ahead and ordered my axle shafts. I went with the new RCV axles for the non-unit bearing D44. Hopefully they will get here this week so I can finish up the front end. I am going to go with traditional locking hubs since I will be driving on the street every once and awhile. Once I get these in I will post some pictures. Thats it for now.

Nice! Looks killer. What kind of tig are you using? May have missed it.

Not sure the model but its a big Miller that we have at work. I have only used on the one parts everything else is mig.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information