Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Akeless

Re: Project Akeless

who did the cuts on your shackle mount? did you have them cut on a cnc machine or just by hand?
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams

You and I are going to have IDENTICAL CJ's when we are done. Same Jeep, axles, wheels, tires... You're not painting it black are you?
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    who did the cuts on your shackle mount? did you have them cut on a cnc machine or just by hand?

I had circles cut out of 3" wide 3/16 plate then I cut the angle by hand. I could have had the whole thing cut on our mills at work but we are pretty busy and didnt feel like taking up machine time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Schenk View Post
    You and I are going to have IDENTICAL CJ's when we are done. Same Jeep, axles, wheels, tires... You're not painting it black are you?
    My bad Actually there will be some differences. I am going to 4 link the rear with coilovers and my paint is going to be the JK burnt orange color.

Well some things have changed yet again. I am going to get my 14 bolt next weekend and it already has matching gears for the D44 I got a couple of weeks ago. So now I am thinking about leaving the 4.10's in and going with a 37 inch tire.

Made a little progress tonight. I finished the shackle joints welded last Friday and painted and assembled tonight.

First TIG welds.

If anybody does a similar setup I would recomend not welding the cage with threaded piece in. I did and disfigured the the threads on the nut. Got it out and fixed but thought they were toast. Also got my diff cover tacked together.

So I went to work on the front axle and to test fit the new diff cover and found this.

So it seems that I will be doing a gear swap for sure and prob sticking a detroit in the front and steering is going to wait.

that sucks. looks rusty too eh?
    Tom

Detroit and gears should be here begining of next week for the front. I got the front tore down and getting ready to mount the new spring hangers and springs. I try and get some pictures posted soon of the progress.

Here is a quick update. I picked up my 14 bolt a couple of weeks ago. Pictures really dont do this thing justice on the size of it. The second picture is to show the size comparison to a D44.

My bumper parts came in Thursday before we went to the races. I got them all tacked together tonight and will finish welding to this week.

I am hoping to have springs hung by this weekend.

Yeah the 14 bolt is big eh? BTW have fun cutting off those perches
    Tom

Since I am 4 linking it I thought about leaving them if they are not in the way.

I have made some progress last week stunk with very little progress, first welder ran out of wire, then I didnt have tips for the wire I had, went to praxair and got new tips and another spool of wire, and went home to weld and ran out of gas, so I went back to praxair to get air, tried to weld with .030 wire and the welder would not feed right (even with correct contact tips)so I tried to go back to .023 wire and wire would not stay on rollers. I barrowed a Handler 185 from a guy at work and wow what a difference. So here is the progess I made the last week and half.

Rear shackle plate welded to the frame with spring installed.

Got the spacers welded to the shackle.

The front was a pain. The shackle reversal got tweaked during welding (my guess) so I had to use a port a power to spead and hammer on. But in the end all went well after that.

Heres what I got done today. I got the front axle in last weekend and was not happy with the pinion angle (flat and caster was about 10-12 degrees) so I added a pair of degree shims to bring it up (also brought caster closer to 3-5 degrees) so now it is sitting a jack stands at the axle instead of frame. The front axle is ready for new shafts, brakes and steering.

Got my ball joints installed in the outer knuckle and are ready for install. I needed to order a ball joint spanner to remove the old slug and install the new one.

Finished welding the outside of the diff cover for the front. I am going to TIG weld the inside and have the face machined sometime (baseball season started so time is extra tight and the weekends are the only time I have to work on the Jeep).

The front bumper is done for now. I need to do is install winch. There are a couple of things that I need to do, make and weld on d-ring mounts and finish tube work, but both of these can wait for the time being.

I also ordered a few brackets for the rear when Ballistic Fab had their big sale at the end of last month.

Lower Coilover Bracket

Lower Link Bracket (Axle)

and the Disc Brake bracket for my 14 Bolt (installed and ready for calipers and rotors).

The next step is to start taking the rear apart and put the rear under the Jeep so I can start getting the links setup.

Ok so I finally had a chance to work on the Jeep this weekend. Couple of the pics are some stuff that I got done last week.

Here are the rear hubs with rotors installed. I got them cleaned and also cleaned up the bearings. They are now ready to install (once the rear axle is hung).

Picked up the front rotor/hub assembly. I thought these would be a direct swap for the big bearing D44 but the inner bearing is to small so I need to decide if I want to run the bigger bearings with external type hubs or find new spindles and run a smaller bearing with internal style hubs.

My wife got my Sky tall high steer arms and Ballistic Steering kit that uses 7/8 chromoly hiems.

This weekend I was able to pull the old suspension out and get the brackets ground off the 14b put it under the Jeep.

I am now waiting for all of my joints to get here from Ballistic and my truss from Bluetorch. Here is a link for more pictures.

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ect%20Akeless/

I got a little work done the couple of days. The weekend started off with good news. I dont need to get new spindles!!!! After doing some looking and emailing Complete Offroad, I found that GM used two different big bearings, the first design was used in the 70's and the second in the 80's, so all I had to do was buy new inner bearings. So to help clean up I put the bearings and hubs on and put the front wheels on.

I also pickedup some PVC to mock up my steering and 4-link. I got the tierod length pretty good. so tomorrow I will cut the DOM tubing and tack it to the tube inserts and make sure things clear. Thngs are close but I think it all will fit.

Tonight I was able to get the shock bungs welded into the shock towers. And the driverside tacked into place. I need to decide if I want to mount the top of the shock foward a little so when the suspension droops the shock moves foward to a more vertical position or just mount it to the shock is straight up and down.

I just placed the lower mount on the knuckle to give me an idea on location. It looks like with the shock at ride hieght it will be about 24.5 inches long.

All of my suspension joints shipped today so I should see them tomorrow. I am having Ballistic cut my frame brackets (similar to the PolyPerformance upper brackets). And hopfully my truss will be here by the end of the week to I can start mocking up the 4-link this weekend and beginning of next week.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information