Thread: How to wire or hook up fog lights?

How to wire or hook up fog lights?

Mikegb gave me a set of fog lights that I would like to put onto my 80 CJ5. I mounted the lights, but am not sure how to properly wire them up.

I purchased a 2 pole toggle switch (on/off) and a 4 pin auto relay (30 amp I believe).

Each fog light has 2 wires coming from it. I believe that these need to be wired in such a way that they will not work when the high beams are on.

Can anyone tell me how to properly wire these lights? Thanks.
    Currently Jeepless.....

Re: How to wire or hook up fog lights?

Just wire it up...

One wire is ground, one wire is power..

Run the light power wire to the relay, pin 87,
    ground to plane jane ground on the chassis somewhere, both light and relay pin 85
    pin 30 on the relay is batt power be sure to put a fuse between batt and relay
    pin 86 on the relay comes from the switch accy pin
    other side of the switch is batt...

that simple
    Adam

Here's a wiring diagram that might help:

Color coding is for a standard Hella install but you can probably figure out which wire is which. I believe the requirement for fogs is that they only come on with the low beams - driving lights are supposed to be tied into the hi beams.

Thanks to you both.
    How do I know which of the two wires coming from the light is power and which is ground? There is no plug on the end of the wires - they were cut.
    Anything I could use a meter to determine?
    Currently Jeepless.....

Open up the lights and see where the two wires connect. If they are the H3 type then the wire coming off the back of the bulb is the power wire and the other wire is the ground (connects to the mounting plate on the reflector). If you need me to I can get a pic of the inside of my Hellas for you.

Quote Originally Posted by corwyyn View Post
    Here's a wiring diagram that might help:

Color coding is for a standard Hella install but you can probably figure out which wire is which. I believe the requirement for fogs is that they only come on with the low beams - driving lights are supposed to be tied into the hi beams.
    In the above wiring diagram, it states "tap green wire into high beams". For my application, I'll tap green wire into low beams, right?
    Currently Jeepless.....

First of all, using Kevin's suggestion, I took the lights apart and now know which is the light power and the light gound wires.

Kevin, as I look at your wiring diagram, I'm wonder if there are 3 poles on the switch in the diagram? I only have a 2 pole switch (on or off).

Adam - you said "pin 86 on the relay comes from the switch accy pin"
    I'm not sure what this means. Do I connect a wire from pin 86 on the relay to the wire that gives low beam power?

Were in this process to I connect the On/Off toggle switch? for these lights? Or, instead, do I need to get a 3 pole switch like is shown in the diagram?
    Currently Jeepless.....

Quote Originally Posted by vin man View Post
    Kevin, as I look at your wiring diagram, I'm wonder if there are 3 poles on the switch in the diagram? I only have a 2 pole switch (on or off).

Adam - you said "pin 86 on the relay comes from the switch accy pin"
    I'm not sure what this means. Do I connect a wire from pin 86 on the relay to the wire that gives low beam power?

Were in this process to I connect the On/Off toggle switch? for these lights? Or, instead, do I need to get a 3 pole switch like is shown in the diagram?
    OK, the switch shown is a two-pole (on/off) with an extra contact for a power wire to a light in the switch (turn switch on, light illuminates on the switch). Here's another one that might be clearer for a simple switch:

Also if you read under the green wire it says 'for offroad use only - tap green wire to parking lights to operate independent of hi/low beams.' So you would want to tap the power wire (not sure which color wire it is) on the parking light on the battery side of the vehicle and run the other wire from the switch to pin 86 on the relay like ademster said, then whenever your parking lights are on you can switch the fogs on. Better?

Sorry about the wire colors in the second diagram - I snagged it off another site and they had them called out differently. Depends on who makes the harness as to what color wires you get. As long as you know where each one goes it really doesn't matter what color they are...

Quote Originally Posted by corwyyn View Post
    OK, the switch shown is a two-pole (on/off) with an extra contact for a power wire to a light in the switch (turn switch on, light illuminates on the switch). Here's another one that might be clearer for a simple switch:

Also if you read under the green wire it says 'for offroad use only - tap green wire to parking lights to operate independent of hi/low beams.' So you would want to tap the power wire (not sure which color wire it is) on the parking light on the battery side of the vehicle and run the other wire from the switch to pin 86 on the relay like ademster said, then whenever your parking lights are on you can switch the fogs on. Better?

Sorry about the wire colors in the second diagram - I snagged it off another site and they had them called out differently. Depends on who makes the harness as to what color wires you get. As long as you know where each one goes it really doesn't matter what color they are...
    This one is much more idiot-proof - perfect for me.
    So according to this diagram, the white wire is the one that goes to the low beam power (if I want to keep it legal on the road)?
    Currently Jeepless.....

Quote Originally Posted by vin man View Post
    This one is much more idiot-proof - perfect for me.
    So according to this diagram, the white wire is the one that goes to the low beam power (if I want to keep it legal on the road)?
    Yep.

Thanks Adam and Kevin. Got the lights hooked up today and everythign works perfectly!
    Currently Jeepless.....

man without a jeep

Thanks for all your help - they are installed and working.
    Currently Jeepless.....

I'm thinking this will work if I want to wire HID lights into my TJ, right?
    Currently Jeepless.....

Thread Information