Thread: My1stJeep, OHV, Land, Help...

My1stJeep, OHV, Land, Help...

Ok and the nudging of another member I am writing this to help get the word out to all the new people who are rapidly joining our sport and our clubs. It is a short introduction to me, OHV needs, Land Use Issues and a plea for help.

My name is Chris, My1stJeep on the boards. Although this is my first Jeep, I have been off roading since I was an infant, over 40 years now, motor cycles, rails, Samurai’s, trucks, Scouts, you name at one time or another I have enjoyed OHV using one form or another . It has been a part of my family since day one, my wife’s family used to also off road, and it is now a part of our family that we share with our two children. Often with work schedules and family commitments off roading is the place where families come together and have time to bond, to talk, to be a family and I think it is worth protecting our rights.

For many years I always just kept wheeling, did my part in wearing pro OHV stuff, attended some meetings and heard the issues, but never really got involved, often felt I had too much on my plate, or someone else better informed was going to step up. Over the last 6 years I started attending meetings with a purpose of getting involved with discussions, even have been apart of actual meetings where we were negotiating travel a management plans with land management groups and those that oppose OHV at any level. I have been doing my homework on the issues, contacting those that are anti-OHV outside meetings to discuss issues, coordinated having a biologist run a trail with one of the clubs in AZ to document the affects of OHV on the trail. The biologist showed picture of all the oil spills in relationship to her hand held GPS, all were the size of it or smaller, she only found 6 spills, that in comparison to the exagerated number of 20 that one person who would like this trail closed and size of each being larger then a basketball. The biologist findings were that there was nothing on the trail that was having a negative impact to a point where it needed to be closed.

In addition I am now one of the two 4x4 Representatives to the AZOHVC (Arizona Off Highway Vehicle Coalition). We meet quarterly to discuss OHV issues, raising money for the issues, action plans, and work on sustainable alternatives to preserve OHV use just to name a few.

One area we need a lot of help in is to raise funds to keep a lobbyist fighting for our rights. The lobbyist that is currently working on behalf of the OHV people, that is you and I, has been huge in preserving our rights. At one point state trust was going to halt ALL OHV access on ANY state trust lands. As most of you are aware the majority of our trails on not on STL land, but on BLM land, however here is the hitch, we have to cross STL land to get to most of our trails. So by closing STL down to ALL OHV we would lose access to our trails. The lobbyist was in the meetings, caught this, was able to get this corrected and the actual passing was that on “Dust Pollution Days”, not the same as high pollution days, of which we only had I think 6 last year, on Monday’s through Friday’s we could not use our OHV. On weekends and any day that is not a “Dust Pollution Day” we can use the lands. This went from something that was going to be very, very bad for OHV to something we can live with and the state can show they are trying to help with the dust issues. This is just one of the many ways having a lobbyist helps OHV tremendously, if it have not been for him being there we would have lost out big time. As you can imagine fees to pay Lobbyists are not cheap.

We also need help attending meetings, people getting involved with things like OHVAG, people running for the board of AZOHVC, help finding ways to fund a biologist so we can obtain scientific evidence and historical tracking of our trail network, etc… Soon there will be some posts that are more specific on how you can help at upcoming events. In the mean time you can always go to www.AZOHVC.com for information about what is happening in the community. Currently at all events it seems to be the same 6 people, and some are getting ready to retire, we need your help to continue to work toward solutions that will help protect OHV. We nee to get the word out on how everyone can help, by attending things in your area once in awhile it helps to spread things out so not anyone person needs to attend everything. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to email me of PM me or even ask questions in this thread I will be happy to answer them. Please consider getting involved.

Keep watch for the upcoming Drive for 5.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Re: My1stJeep, OHV, Land, Help...

pm sent...
    life is an adventure to be lived, not a problem to be solved

proud member of: ASA4WDC; Tread Lightly; BRC; BRC Moab Partnership; UFWDA; AZOHVC

WalterD Guest

What is OHVAG?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for fighting for our rights as actively as you do i dont want to dump my bank account into a jeep i cant use this isnt jersey desert = visible for miles no more woods to hide in and wheel illeagaly

what can i do to help? where can i donate?

If you want to donate you can go to the www.azohvc.com website and use paypal, if you would prefer to write a check let me know and I will get you the address, and of course the AZOHVC is a 501c3 so it is tax deductible.

Thanks azredneck, your help is greatly appreciated.

WalterD OHVAG is The State Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Group (OHVAG)

Wild Mustang thanks for the PM, will look forward to hearing from you again shortly.

Thanks to all those who responded, I look forward to meeting you and working with you on future events!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Blog Entries

Chris... give me a buzz when you can so we can get together and
    get the...

DRIVE FOR 5

going...

anyone curious as to what that is???

BTW: nudge huh...
    Yeah, I'm a girl drivin a jeep you have a problem with that?

I have a few good ideas
    1. contact all of the motorized tours (pink jeep carefree adventures sedona jeep school etc) and have them add at the end of their tour something like. "As some of you may know the state has been debating rather or not they will close the state land trust. It would be greatly apreciated if you would take just a moment to sign our petition so that we and all other OHV users may enjoy our beutiful state's land."
    i think that most people may not even know this is an issue and also how often do you see someone come off that tour like "well that was OKAY" or "pffft like ill ever do that again"
    everybody loves it and i think that we will get thousands of signatures

2. I'm bored i dont have a job anymore and most of the time I am waiting for parts for my Jeep so suppose I was going to stand outside of a shopping center or something to convince people to sign should i become part of a organization or something also where do i ger a legitimate petition

3 up here in cave creek "Big Earl's Greasy Eats" has a car show every friday that our club has been invited to to present our rigs i have not been there but if there is alot of people why not get a petition in there?

im just throwing out ideas also a question do we need a specific number of signatures? like a deal if you get so many sigs then we will grant acess to the land etc or is it just something we are doing to try and combat it?

Great ideas and in alot of circumstances might work. The main issue, which was brought down at the federal level is the dust, PM10 (just in case you are unsure PM10 is a measurement of the dust partical). If we violate the feds rules on PM10 we lose freeway funds, so all the land management is going crazy trying to find ways to ensure they are meeting it, and yes every state is having issues with over reactions. In the past I used to suggest everyone get an STL permit, to show our numbers, but with the recent increase I am no longer advocating that as much as getting everyone to but the sticker when it comes available and put it on your Jeep so you can cross STL and get to our trails. The sticker will not allow you to stop and recreate, but you can cross it to get to our trails.

The Jeep tours actually contacted the AZOHVC and currently we are in talks on how we can join forces to move forward together and help each other out. Again great idea and it is being pursued.

Our current largest issue is to raise another $5k by the end of the year to pay for the lobbyist. He has been our single best return on investment in helping with the land use in regards to our legislature.

I will take the petition idea back and see if there is anyway we could use it to further out cause, who knows it might just work on at least one angle.

Thanks for the great ideas, keep them coming. Thank you all who have taken the time to read or respond or are thinking about the issues that we need to come together to work on.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

4 Bangers Rule

maybe we can do some sort of donation thing
    like sitting outside of a shopping center (if the shopping center will allow it)
    or the DMV they ussually allow it
    or Earls car show
    5k would be easy if people pitched in
    but like i said im pretty sure many non-OHV users are not even aware that state land could be closed
    im sure they would be happy to throw 50 cents in a bucket to help a good cause

ill try to come up with some new ideas
    try to get an official petition written up so we could start that end of the year is getting close

PS: if anybody acts out on my idea and starts a petition stand somewhere or donation collection PM me because I will go support it but I didnt want to do it on my own till i had a jeep to stand by (mine dont run and looks like hell) so once shes all fixed up ill go out and do it on my own on a crappy day

Funny you should say donation thing.

We are preparing for a Drive for $5 in hopes to raise $5k...

We are picking 5 locations valley wide to do meet and greets, not just Jeeps but ALL OHV, asking everyone to put in just $5 in a 5 gallon water jug. It is our hopes to raise the next $5k to pay for the lobbyist. It is a lofty goal, but why set goals that are easy to reach...

More to come...
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

4 Bangers Rule

Hey Chris... sorry I havent had a chance to post up yet. As we discussed, I am willing to help when and where I can. Now that I think about it, we should have had the kids walk along the parade with a donation jar, instead of passing out candy!

AzRedneck has some good ideas and great enthusiasm... I think its a great idea to get to some public forums and pan handle for some donations. Do you have reciepts that can be handed out? Not a big deal for small donations, just curious...

Anyway, aside from suggestions, let me know what I can do. Post up the meetings, and we will work on some participation. I think we can strong arm quite a few people in here to help out...
    -jason
    '07 JK Unlimited Rubicon
    37" MTR/K, 6" Teraflex long arm, 5.38's, hydro assist, locked, winch, armor, other crap...

same here Chris
    99 Wrangler Sahara 33's, lifted, locked, caged and a bunch of other stuff
    RIP 02/21/10 03 TJ Sport I6
    Silly Boys Jeeps are for Girls!!!!!

Does anyone here have a marketing background?
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

4 Bangers Rule

Here's the email address if anyone wants to send in a donation, azohvc@yahoo.com

I noticed the link to paypal on the AZOHV website wasn't working. Make it a "gift" and pay from your balance and no fee's will be taken out by paypal.

www.paypal.com

azohvc@yahoo.com
    Last edited by RokNRich; 03-24-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    RockKrawling is not a Crime !

Thanks for bringing this back to the top Rich. Chris was saying yesterday that we have lost our lobbyist due to lack of funds. Not good.

We really need financial help from the OHV community
    RIP The Tetanus Shot

Thread Information