Thread: Currie Correct Lynk Steering install (TJ)

Blog Entries

Currie Correct Lynk Steering install (TJ)

OhioTj did a number to his stock steering on several trails running 35" tires. He decided to upgrade like I did to a Currie Correct lynk purchased From Cole@4wheelers.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=1219

Part #: CE-9701

Description: The Currie Currectlync® heavy duty tie rod and drag link system for TJ, LJ, XJ, and MJ vehicles features, a 1 ¼" diameter forged alloy drag link, and 1 ¼" solid alloy steel tie rod bar that is bored and threaded on the ends. All 7/8" thread tie rod ends with boots are included as well as the Currie heavy duty steering stabilizer bracket. This unit is a direct replacement for the stock parts. No modifications or machining to any part of the vehicle is necessary. This unit is rated at 200% stronger than than the stock part.

Tools Required
    ----------------
    Various Sockets and handtools

Tie rod fork and Hammer

Installation Time:45 Min

Get an alignment after the install although the drag link/Tierod come pretty close to alligned from Currie

Secure the vehicle with jackstands, we used 6 ton stands and make sure your brake is on!

Use a neednose plier to remove the cotter pics (4) and use a socket to take off the nuts. On the tie rod ends a swift hit with the hamer will release the tirerods from the knuckle. The pitman arm will need the use of a tierod fork and you must remove one end of the steering stablizer.

Notice the difference in size...Yes size does matter!

Make Sure that these clamps are lined up and the one on the passenger side does not conflict with the draglink

This draglink can be tricky!! Make sure the hole is lined up with the slot for the pin

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Jdemonto@trailconcepts; 09-03-2008 at 05:16 PM.
    Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
    480-788-7245 or Sales@trailconcepts.com
    www.Trailconcepts.com/Facebook/Twitter
    Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Perfomance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Tera Flex

Re: Currie Correct Lynk Steering install (TJ)

Good writeup Jason. And I will attest as to the strength of the Currie stuff, I run it. The only thing I would suggest is the clamps should probably not point forward, the passenger side will probably hit the drag link itself when the suspension cycles. Turn them down or up for good clearance. Also, when you set the bracket for the steering stabilizer, turn the wheels to full drivers lock, and extend the stabilizer fully. Then compress about 1/2"-1" and st the bracket on the drag link there. Then cycle the steering and make sure the steering locks full passenger and the stabilizer does not fully compress and bottom out. That should be your sweet spot. Then cylce the steering to ensure nothing contacts from full turn to full turn on any component. In a perfect world, you would want to flex everything out full stuff/droop and full turn each direction too, but that is what a shakedown run is for, right? Oh, and throw the stock steering in the back on runs, you never know when one of your buddies who has NOT done this upgrade is going to taco his stock steering.
    Last edited by lancetkenyon; 09-03-2008 at 05:45 PM.

HONOR KEVIN-HARNESS UP!!!

Blog Entries

Thanks Lance for the advice, we actually measured off the stock steering for the stabliizer which is 12" from the tierod end on the pitman arm side. We look into your suggestion to make sure all is ok. I am not sure what Ryan is doing with the old steering as it worked but was pretty bent up!

Jason
    Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Perfomance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Tera Flex

I have the currie as well. It has been difficult to get the steering well centered , but it's possible. Overall it's a great upgrade and you did a nice writeup.
    Well I was drunk, the day my mom got outta prison...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joedokes28 View Post
    I have the currie as well. It has been difficult to get the steering well centered , but it's possible. Overall it's a great upgrade and you did a nice writeup.
    Thanks Eric, My steering was straight until the CK run. I am bending the lower passenger CA bracket so we will likely upgrade to a 3/16 boxed Blue Torche fab unti.

Ryans steering wheel was way off even measuring off my jeep which just has an alignment. We had to recenter his steering wheel I will ask to see if it was actaully straight.

Jason

That is the problem with the 'Y' setup, your steering can go out of wack easily and it is hard to get back. I don't particularly like it, but I know on the TJ's the springs get in the way, unless you spend the money and use different knuckles.

The axle stubs & bearings are out of the above Jeep, it wouldn't have been too much harder to change the knuckles and get a good steering system in there. JMO
    Last edited by JamesT; 09-03-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    --James
    '84 CJ7 w/bunch of junk

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Currie Correct Lynk Steering install (TJ)

Here is the BTF lower CA brackets which is a needed upgrade on Tjs esp. when you upgrade the steering and use a front locker they are bound to break off or bend.

http://bluetorchfab.com/store/produc...products_id=23

Quote Originally Posted by JamesT View Post
    That is the problem with the 'Y' setup, your steering can go out of wack easily and it is hard to get back. I don't particularly like it, but I know on the TJ's the springs get in the way, unless you spend the money and use different knuckles.

The axle stubs & bearings are out of the above Jeep, it wouldn't have been too much harder to change the knuckles and get a good steering system in there. JMO

Your right James! We are a fan of a cross over steering and it would have been easy to do. My jeep is running such a small lift that the crossover steering almost made no sense at all. Ryans jeep will see genright highline tube fenders in the future and will be lowered to a 3.5" lift with 37's in the end. So we felt that the currie steering was the answer to our steerig needs.

Jason

Also, with crossover steering and new knuckles, the costs incurred are MUCH greater.

HONOR KEVIN-HARNESS UP!!!

Thread Information