Thread: ESP/BAS Light in '08 Patriot

ESP/BAS Light in '08 Patriot

Hello all! I’m a newbie (new to this board and a new Jeep owner). I bought my 2008 Jeep Patriot on May 31st. I got a sweet deal on my Patriot. Mostly because my significant other (SO) is a SM for DCJ. Let me just say, I really love my Patriot. It’s fully loaded and does more of it than I could ever ask. It has now survived two accidents. I got hit from behind on June 11 and then I hit someone in front of the body shop on June 12th. I was devastated After it was said and done the two accidents did $3300 in damages. I noticed after the second accident that the ESP/BAS light came on and stayed on. I assumed it was from the damage to the front left side and would go away after being repaired. I picked my up from the body shop Friday and omw back to work I noticed the light was still on. SO and I discussed it and he said I need to take it back to the body shop. I agree, but I really don’t want to be without my Patriot again. FYI the reason it isn't going to SO dealership is we live 5 hours away from each other. I have two questions: What could be causing the light to come on and how long does it take to diagnosis and fix it? Thanks in advance for any and all replies. I have the repair information if needed.
    Last edited by luvinmypatriot; 06-29-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Forgot something...

Re: ESP/BAS Light in '08 Patriot

I have an 06 Commander that has the same issue. I took it in for routine service and a recall fix. Lights went out for a day or two, then came back on again. This is the seconfd time I have had it in for the recall and nothing has changed. Cruise doesn't work when the lights are on, fwiw.

Anyone else have any suggestions as to cause and/or remedy?

is your steering wheel centered? when they arent centered the lights come on mine.

It could be the ABS sensor on that wheel. ABS plays an integral part in the ESP system.
    Quote Originally Posted by lancetkenyon View Post
    She must be an MT though, cause she makes a lot of noise when you get her running fast and wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc in AZ View Post
    i don't know what to think... *** is a runicon?

First thank you for all the replies. It turns out several people were right. The sensor did need to be replace, the steering wheel wasn't straight, and it badly needed an alignment. Those repairs went under the existing insurance claim and my is back to normal!

Thanks again!

Glad everything is back to normal..... no a less serious note, remind me to never let you anywhere near any of my vehicles.
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

Thread Information