Thread: Anyone have GPS on the Cell Phone?

Anyone have GPS on the Cell Phone?

How do you like it? I'm with Verizon, and am wondering if it is worth getting this feature. It's like $10 a month. but if it is not used during a month there is no charge for that month.
    A gold miner is just a liar standing next to a hole in the ground.
    RIP Digger B. Trouble, Rilee the Weed and Kodiak Kid

Re: Anyone have GPS on the Cell Phone?

It really depends on what you intend to use it for... If you type "Verizon GPS" in Google, you will find reviews of the functionality including Pros and Cons...

One con... Its pretty good for directions, but it does not have continuously updating maps, so if you want to use it just for location based services, or if you decide to venture off of the directions path given to you, it will not keep up and update the maps. Also, if you are on foot, it is useless... It will always treat you like you are in a vehicle.

I have a Blackberry 8800 via which has its own GPS location chips, is not dependent upon the carrier for location, but it is dependent for the data (i.e. the maps) The provision of maps sucks up data usage, but I have an unlimited data plan, so there is no additional cost for me...

I have Verizon and use the "GPS" on it. Its based not on GPS, but it derives your location from the cell service. So no service, no location. Its NOT good for trails. Its good in town, I use it a lot to find addresses and search for the nearest Radio Shack or fast food. Its like 411, but with directions. The cool thing is you could try it for 24 hours for only like $4 and decide if you like it or not.

i have it also w/ Verizon. and find it very helpful in the city, if thats what you want it for, but out in the Wild, utterly useless.

Thanks for the in-put. Was going to use it, if needed on trails. By the sounds of how it works, I do better sticking with the the location of sun/moon and the moss that grows on the north side of trees.
    Oh and my dogs who seem to always know the way back from which we came!

jeeperapril Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Thanks for the in-put. Was going to use it, if needed on trails. By the sounds of how it works, I do better sticking with the the location of sun/moon and the moss that grows on the north side of trees.
    Oh and my dogs who seem to always know the way back from which we came!
    I noticed that with Mikali already, a couple times I was going to go one way, she pulled enough for me to follow her, and by gosh she was right, I would have gone the wrong way!!! I love my dog We went to Apache trail last saturday it is beautiful with flowers all over...

Do you have UNLIMITED data? You will need it. it uses the web to access the maps for the GPS. If you do try this one http://www.amazegps.com/welcome.php

I use it on my BB and it's FREE. I have unlimited date through work. It takes some getting used to but it gives turn by turn with voice prompts.

Did I mention it's free. used for a month and a half with NO bill from AT&A.

My phone doesn't have a GPS receiver, but it does estimate position using the cell tower location and Google maps. It works great for directions, but it's not ideal. I used it for getting around while visiting my cousin in Florida, and it though it worked I'd much rather have a true GPS unit. It would be all but useless off-road.

ok, everyone...thanks for in-put. I'm not going to get this feature on my cell.
    I'm going to close this thread.

Thread Information