View Poll Results: Do you carry with a round chambered or not?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • One in the pipe.

114 82.61%
  • Not

24 17.39%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

I think we need to remember the scope of the original question Randy asked...

Quote Originally Posted by RandyT View Post
    OK, taking from the #1 shooting thread debate.
    In a defense carry weapon, do you carry with one in the pipe or not?
    Brad B. 2014 FLAME RED JKU SPORT
    KE7SAJ To those who have served THANK YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Larry, as I said had a military backround, trained in firearms, no he wasn't drunk, In life, as I was pointing out accidents happen, they do! No one means for stuff to happen, it just does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe West View Post

My comments were directed towards private citizens who either carry openly OR concealed.
    As usual I only agree.

Many years ago I was dating this young gal and after awhile we started going "steady". Her Dad, a larger man than even myself called me into his office one eve as I waited on her to get ready. He looked at me with those steely blue eyes, leaned over into my face and said "familiarity breeds, DON'T let it".

The point being that as you become more and more familiar with something we sometimes forget about how dangerous it might really be. Larry was reminded.

So do we carry "one in the pipe" or not? Like Digger said, be aware of your situation. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

When I worked for the Sheriffs Dept on occasion I would be involved in uniformed work (not often as it was not my job). The standing rule set by the Sheriff was if and when you pull your weapon out, then that was the same as firing it, think about it. [Sadly what I see on shows like COPS etc is often nothing but a uniformed vigilante committee hell bent on gun play.]

As Joe says its an individual responsibility.

Any insurance assessors on here? They can REALLY tell you about individual Vs group.

Driving is a individual responsibility, think I will watch the 6PM news today and take note of whether or not there are any wrecks.
    Don

17 Oaks Ranch, Boerne, Texas

www.savagesun4x4.com

I realize I have wandered off the "topic", I piped up with comments in hopes that the new hand gun owners are reading this post. To put to mind how serious it is to handle fire arms with highest respect, and with full attention to what they hold in their hand. And that this one in the pipe might not be good practice for everyone. It's what I am seeing on some runs lately. I don't know what all they teach in the CCW class, but I don't think it covers everything as far as safety in groups. My heart would sink to my feet to hear of an accidental mishap to one of our own.
    Sorry for being motherly, I shall back out now. big hug to all
    A gold miner is just a liar standing next to a hole in the ground.
    RIP Digger B. Trouble, Rilee the Weed and Kodiak Kid

Sorry for being motherly, I shall back out now. big hug to all
    Yea Nancy, BACK OUT!!!

j/k

Nancy,
    I guess whatever makes you most comfortable. A weapon not charged is better than no weapon at all, in some circumstances. I think most of us just want to be ready in a moments notice. In my CCW class they showed us how no matter how "Alert" you are the BG's can get the jump on you. It was quite the eye-opener!

Don,
    I have always respected your opinion but is this case I have to disagree and apparently so do about 60 others. We are not talking about Nam or Iraq or the Navy Seals, or the Police or the Sheriff etc. We are talking about one guy who carries a weapon for self defense in the year 2008 in the USA. Perhaps I should have been more clear when I posted this poll. I like your stories and catch phrases though. Directions on the heel..... too funny.

Oooh, burnin red anger face, didn't mean to ruffle your feather's.

guess you are heavy into your opinion on this subject, hope those you influence from this post are a little more even tempered.
    A gold miner is just a liar standing next to a hole in the ground.
    RIP Digger B. Trouble, Rilee the Weed and Kodiak Kid

Quote Originally Posted by RandyT View Post

Don,
    I have always respected your opinion but is this case I have to disagree and apparently so do about 60 others. We are not talking about Nam or Iraq or the Navy Seals, or the Police or the Sheriff etc. We are talking about one guy who carries a weapon for self defense in the year 2008 in the USA. Perhaps I should have been more clear when I posted this poll. I like your stories and catch phrases though. Directions on the heel..... too funny.
    Randy,
    I think you might have missed my point. In fact I fully agree, that said there are some caveats.

1) Its individual vs group dynamics. I fully concur when applied to individuals. But the facts are clear when you view gun owners as a group, meaning more than 1 accidents happen. I know Joe and Antman and like them, but, I also trust them and would have no fear with them present. Some other folks who I know and like and even trust, but not to the extent that I would be comfortable with them running around with a gun, let alone with "one in the pipe".

The facts bear this out. We have gun owners, FBI agents, LEO's at city, county and state level and military guys shooting themselves and others on a regular basis. I would NOT hesitate to bet money that "there was one in the pipe".

"S H I T Happens!" cannot get away from it.

2) Situational awareness.

3) You must remember that almost ANY CITIZEN can own a gun. To get a drivers, divers, pilots license you got to get trained and PASS a test. Joe is a driver, diver and a pilot, he knows and the facts bear this out; even the best get lost, crash and drown.

So we have a situation where almost any Joe Dsheet Ragman can stumble into a gun store and buy a weapon, with NO training what so ever. He has "one in the pipe" too!

That said, and as cold as it may seem, a few deaths as a result of _______ fill in the blank with the gun are well worth the price of admission.

Just for the record, the 2nd amendment (which many mistakenly think it is about guns) is the defining amendment for the rights of an individual. I suspect that some on here are convinced it is about guns. Better think again.

What would be the repercussions if the 2nd amendment was struck down? If you think the only thing would be loss of a favorite firearm you are sadly mistaken.

So Randy I am not disagreeing with you at all, but if what you think were 100% true we wouild never read in the paper about some guy shooting himself in the foot or the fella sitting next to him.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Oooh, burnin red anger face, didn't mean to ruffle your feather's.

guess you are heavy into your opinion on this subject, hope those you influence from this post are a little more even tempered.
    Nancy,
    I said in my post j/k (just kidding) I am not really mad.
    And I agreed with you that it is what ever you feel the most comfortable with. Sorry if my screwed up sense of humor did not carry through very well in text posts.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
    Randy,
    I think you might have missed my point. In fact I fully agree, that said there are some caveats.
    Don,
    You are correct sir, there are many dynamics involved. Thanks for taking time to respond.

I'm still thinking about this. I'm totally used to carrying one up now, and fine with it.

That being said, I don't always have one up. When I'm at home, or a place where I feel safe, I'll leave them all down. On the flip side, when I sense that I am in a place where it might be necessary, I will **** it and be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Duality View Post
    I'm still thinking about this. I'm totally used to carrying one up now, and fine with it.

That being said, I don't always have one up. When I'm at home, or a place where I feel safe, I'll leave them all down. On the flip side, when I sense that I am in a place where it might be necessary, I will **** it and be ready.
    That is the situational dynamics coming into play.

LEO's: Almost always got one in the pipe. Why? Everywhere they go there is trouble, that is there world. LEO's rarely function in groups beyond about 2-3 folks. LEO's have an EXTREMELY high exposure. They don't train much but do receive "on the job training" so to speak.

Military: Large group dynamics anywhere from about 10 to about 5k. They have also learned that the group dynamics state that 10% 100% of the time and are trained to that standard. When you make it idiot proof a smarter idiot will come along. Military folks have it in the pipe and sometimes they don't, they are trained to know the difference and the repercussions are severe even if you do not injure you or someone else with the stray bullet. But let the bullet strike a critical hydraulic line in a helicopter... Military folks do not get much exposure, but are constantly being trained. Remember, if we are NOT fighting a war, then we are training to fight a war.

The rest: They err on the side of protection which puts one in the pipe. Few have any situational awareness. But they are not trained to nor are they exposed to it. Nothing wrong with it, just the way it is. Because of this many will carry one in the pipe, err on the side of caution, play the percentages and get them in your favor and that is fine.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

So what are the thoughts on the difference between carrying an autoloader with a round chambered and a revolver with a full cylinder? Both are ready to fire with a pull of the trigger, so why would the autoloader be considered more "dangerous" to carry in a ready condition than the revolver is?
    Kenneth
    1998 TJ 4.0 MT

Quote Originally Posted by KennethS View Post
    So what are the thoughts on the difference between carrying an autoloader with a round chambered and a revolver with a full cylinder? Both are ready to fire with a pull of the trigger, so why would the autoloader be considered more "dangerous" to carry in a ready condition than the revolver is?
    I personally don't make any distinction, generally speaking....
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phx Cobra View Post
    Your friend should not be allowed to handle a firearm it sounds like. However his negligent judgment should have nothing to do with keeping a round in the chamber, as long as you follow firearm safety rules.
    you forgot to add "AM I WRONG". ;-P F***'n A

I carry one in the chamber and will shoot to incapacitate anyone with malicious intent within a 15ft circle.

If they get my gun, they get me- and possibly innocent bystanders.

LEO training at its best I guess.
    "You just find what you love and you do it to death.That’s it. People looking for, searching for the secret of life, that’s it. That’s all there is." Zaak Wylde

I carry a revolver so the hammer is down on a empty chamber,,,,,but it is a double action, so it's just a matter of "pull the trigger", and it will shoot just as fast as an auto. Keeps me comfortable, and ready. I also carry a speed loader in case five rounds don't get the job done.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information