View Poll Results: Do you carry with a round chambered or not?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • One in the pipe.

    114 82.61%
  • Not

    24 17.39%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 90

Thread: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maricopa, AZ
    Posts
    1,015

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    Perhaps Larry was enjoying a few brewskies around the campfire that night?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    West Valley, lower side
    Posts
    376

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    If I have to pull it, then it's gonna be ready

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    39

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    All i have are revolvers so yes loaded but not under the hammer just in case it gets dropped. Don't need no accidents. My wife and daughters know how and when to shoot also.


    Of course there are the times with the wife afraid I'll hear the click but not the boom! HAHAHAHA only kidding

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    6,288
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    Like many 1911 owners out there... c o c k e d and locked.

    (damn language blocker)

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Edge
    Posts
    5,188

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe West View Post
    Like many 1911 owners out there... c o c k e d and locked.

    (damn language blocker)
    Lmao...Joe got c o c k blocked.
    "The Edge...there is no honest way to explain it
    because the only people who really know where it is
    are the ones who have gone over."

    Hunter S Thompson

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    7,138

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    I am always in-tune and well aware of my surroundings.
    1) X2

    Sorry guys I do not. In the other thread on this I listed several incidents that I have first hand knowledge of of folks getting injured or killed due...of course there was not a lot of comments.

    In addition, those of us who have a career in the COMBAT ARMS know that we don't always carry one in the pipe yet in spite of this and in spite of well trained soldiers who often have years in combat, accidents take place. Or as LtC Ollie North stated, "s h i t happens".

    I started carrying as a kid. I had lots of chores to do and every known species of poison snake in N America is found in the state of Texas. Snake bite is almost a year round problem. I carried various guns but most of the time I carried a Ruger single action 22 on my hip, be it fencing, or clearing the brush around the stock ponds. The rattlesnake will generally rattle, but its all the others that don't. I cannot tell you how many times over the years that I dropped a fencing tool or swing blade, drew and head shot a deadly snake from barn to "back forty".

    Get on a Chinok or C141 in Vietnam or Iraq and you will remove your clip, clear the chamber, release the bolt and reinsert the clip and some will make you insert it it bottom first. NOTE: This was not applied to open Huey's into and out of free fire zones.

    Are there exceptions? Without a doubt, see # 1) above. THINK!
    Don

    17 Oaks Ranch, Boerne, Texas

    www.savagesun4x4.com

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Surprise,Az
    Posts
    7,169

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    sorry Don...

    clips are for hair....

    clips are for loading magazines...

    clips are for pedals....

    clips are for the news...

    clips are for paper...

    clips are for door panels...

    clips are what you do to coupons...(Hi Shannon)

    The only 2 clips that are for firearms are a stripper clip...



    And a enbloc clip to feed a "fixed" magazine..



    And for those who call them clips...it's a magazine!
    Brad B. 2014 FLAME RED JKU SPORT
    KE7SAJ To those who have served THANK YOU.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    7,138

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by AZG23 View Post
    sorry Don...

    clips are for hair....
    Does that change anything?????????
    Don

    17 Oaks Ranch, Boerne, Texas

    www.savagesun4x4.com

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Surprise,Az
    Posts
    7,169

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    for some it changes EVERYTHING.
    Brad B. 2014 FLAME RED JKU SPORT
    KE7SAJ To those who have served THANK YOU.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    6,288
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    Accidentally shooting yourself or someone else is no reason (in my opinion) not to carry with a round in a chamber. If you can't avoid shooting yourself or someone else because you have a round in the chamber; you shouldn't be carrying a firearm at all.

    Carrying with a round in the chamber gives you a bit of an edge should something cause you to need your weapon. It allows you to fire more quickly than if you have to chamber a round AND, if for some reason you find yourself in a situation where you only have the use of a single hand, it allows you to fire MUCH more quickly (those of you who practice reloading your weapon single handed know exactly what I mean).

    Think about it for a second... I won't carry my firearm with a chamber in the round because it is safer that way. Okay... so when you finally DO need to chamber a round... are you saying that the firearm isn't safe? Get my point? In the hands of someone who KNOWS how to use and handle a firearm... it is EXACTLY as safe with a round chambered as it is with the chamber empty.

    When you are carrying...Gun safety starts and ends with the material inside your head between your ears and has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not there is a round in a chamber.

    Joe

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Surprise,Az
    Posts
    7,169

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe West View Post
    When you are carrying...Gun safety starts and ends with the material inside your head between your ears and has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not there is a round in a chamber.

    Joe

    Amen Joe!


    Ill tell you what...with all the force on force stuff Ive done..Ill tell you that you can and will probably get shot or injured in the hands...so to assume you have both hands to charge the weapon is deadly.

    Another aspect in a defensive use pistol is if you are in a scuffle that is on the ground, or about to be..and you are fighting off a knife, or bat/pipe, etc...being able to put that weapon into use one handed can be the difference between a body bag, or surviving the encounter....
    Brad B. 2014 FLAME RED JKU SPORT
    KE7SAJ To those who have served THANK YOU.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    7,138

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe West View Post
    Accidentally shooting yourself or someone else is no reason (in my opinion) not to carry with a round in a chamber. If you can't avoid shooting yourself or someone else because you have a round in the chamber; you shouldn't be carrying a firearm at all.

    Carrying with a round in the chamber gives you a bit of an edge should something cause you to need your weapon. It allows you to fire more quickly than if you have to chamber a round AND, if for some reason you find yourself in a situation where you only have the use of a single hand, it allows you to fire MUCH more quickly (those of you who practice reloading your weapon single handed know exactly what I mean).

    Think about it for a second... I won't carry my firearm with a chamber in the round because it is safer that way. Okay... so when you finally DO need to chamber a round... are you saying that the firearm isn't safe? Get my point? In the hands of someone who KNOWS how to use and handle a firearm... it is EXACTLY as safe with a round chambered as it is with the chamber empty.

    When you are carrying...Gun safety starts and ends with the material inside your head between your ears and has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not there is a round in a chamber.

    Joe
    Joe I knew you would answer back, unlike the snarkling straphangers that will mindlessly will agree with you. I will address these guys in a min.

    Having said that and after reading your post several times so as to be perfectly clear my response to you is: I must agree with you 100%.

    Reading your posts Joe, something comes across loud and clear...your viewpoint is on rights of the individual. And from that perspective you are 100% correct.

    Where this ideology falls down is when the # of individuals goes beyond "1". Lets say the group of us got together and we decided to break out into more groups. I would have my eye on you, Antman and a few others on here as folks I want to join up with. Not because I like you, but rather because I TRUST you to perform with credibility, saftey, smarts and most of all common sense. On the other hand there are some straphangers that the mere thought of them owning a gun sends chills down my spine. There are some folks that, as say in Texas, "couldn't pour p i s s out of a boot if the directions were on the heel.

    You were in the Army, not sure when, but I would not doubt that very early on, like your first few days some big burly DI told you about "The 10%". They usually open with the training schedule will be posted on the Company Bulletin Board and he will point to it in front of the HQ building. He will then tell you that 10% of you will NOT read it 100% of the time and to NOT be one of the 10%.

    I heard it loud and clear that cold January morn in Ft Polk La and in my 40 years in the work force I have seen the 10% 100% of the time. From my time in the Army, AT&T, Lucent/Bell Labs, don't car; reguardless of race, color, creed, origin, education, it makes no difference...10%, 100% of the time.

    And that folks is what a commander of a couple of hundred of 18 year old Infantry soldiers or as the leader of nearly 200 mostly senior level computer engineers will face every day, be it with a gun or lines of code.

    NOT everyone should be allowed to own or even handle a gun or a car or a microwave oven. But like you, I feel so strongly in the RKABA that I voice no opposition.
    Don

    17 Oaks Ranch, Boerne, Texas

    www.savagesun4x4.com

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    8,184

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    This post keeps drifting back into my thoughts of the reasoning behind this "one in the pipe". And this is always, anytime it is on your person right?
    So day to day or I should say as situations come to mind I honestly ask myself "should I be following this reasoning"?
    ok, here are examples and maybe the difference in mind sets, and I am not typing this to say either of us are wrong, just trying to figure why some think it is a "survival thing", for lack of better wording .
    may I post my basics, this might help with the comments I am sure to see from some.
    I spend almost every weekend out of the city and in the "outbacks of Az" been doing this steady for some 20 years. I do run into people out there sometimes one on one, sometimes there are more than one, and just me. I like to walk, and during the work week I do this usually at night, I live in a middle class hood that borders the upper class to the north and well the south is the area that's in the news a lot, Pruit's Furniture Store and crime.
    and as some of you know I am a female of about 50 years old, on the small side. And of course I have dogs, never had this many dogs before, only had 1 or 2 in the past.
    here goes: I carry, out in the wilds but not in city, do not have conceal permit. I have never been threatened in the city, or felt uncomfortable. I have only had 2 situations in the wild where I would have drawn, but the threat stopped, when I made sure these thugs had clear view that I had a piston on my hip.
    When I'm with friends, and these are wheeler's most of the time, I don't see many carrying.
    Have the "one in the pipe group" been through a bad experience of not being prepared and got the tar beat out of them? or not always fully aware of suroundings? or live in real bad hood? or do guys get more trouble than girls?
    Since I read this and now know that their are many people who walk around with one in the pipe, and ready to spring, almost anxious to spring, if they have thought out what they would have to go through if they do shoot someone, justified or not.
    Now a word from my last post on some comments recieved. Larry, as I said had a military backround, trained in firearms, no he wasn't drunk, In life, as I was pointing out accidents happen, they do! No one means for stuff to happen, it just does. What he did do wrong, is to handle a firearm around a group of people -a social gathering - a family group at an outing. Firearms are to be respected for what they are, and when in one's hand should have your full attention, no questions.
    Ok with that said, I must add this: over the past few months, when I was with a group and someone was wearing a piston, I struck up a conversation about it, as I am interested in firearms. Everyone of them who showed me the pistol, handed it to me, saying "careful there is one in chamber or one in pipe". This is something that never used to happen like this. When someone is going to show a firearm, it was always customary to hand it over with clip removed and opened as to show it is unloaded.
    Now don't be coming back at me thinking I am downing the one in the pipe group, I just needed to say what has been on my mind, maybe because I am the one who influenced a few to purchase a firearm this past year.
    A gold miner is just a liar standing next to a hole in the ground.
    RIP Digger B. Trouble, Rilee the Weed and Kodiak Kid

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Goodyear, AZ
    Posts
    403

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    I think that one of the things to consider would be reaction time. Did you know that a threat from 10' away could get to you before you had your pistol drawn - never mind cycling a round to get it chambered. You never know when your, or someone else's life may be placed in danger by the lowlife scum of this day and age - be ready for those moments when all you have is a split second to react, and any situation will be manageable.

    As for firearm handling protocol. I agree that the weapon should be unloaded and cleared before exchanging hands. Those who just hand over a loaded weapon for you to check out are being irresponsible.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    6,288
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Poll - One in the pipe or not?

    Hi Don,

    When it comes to the military, I'm absolutely not advocating having child soldiers carry weapons loaded unless directed to do so; I spent a couple of years in the service and I understand how complicated things are in that environment.

    My comments were directed towards private citizens who either carry openly OR concealed.

    I would expect a soldier in combat to carry a weapon with one in the chamber and a citizen carrying everyday should do the same (you can decide if there are any parallels between the two... I think there are)

    Thanks for the response Don.

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
    Joe I knew you would answer back, unlike the snarkling straphangers that will mindlessly will agree with you. I will address these guys in a min.

    Having said that and after reading your post several times so as to be perfectly clear my response to you is: I must agree with you 100%.

    Reading your posts Joe, something comes across loud and clear...your viewpoint is on rights of the individual. And from that perspective you are 100% correct.

    Where this ideology falls down is when the # of individuals goes beyond "1". Lets say the group of us got together and we decided to break out into more groups. I would have my eye on you, Antman and a few others on here as folks I want to join up with. Not because I like you, but rather because I TRUST you to perform with credibility, saftey, smarts and most of all common sense. On the other hand there are some straphangers that the mere thought of them owning a gun sends chills down my spine. There are some folks that, as say in Texas, "couldn't pour p i s s out of a boot if the directions were on the heel.

    You were in the Army, not sure when, but I would not doubt that very early on, like your first few days some big burly DI told you about "The 10%". They usually open with the training schedule will be posted on the Company Bulletin Board and he will point to it in front of the HQ building. He will then tell you that 10% of you will NOT read it 100% of the time and to NOT be one of the 10%.

    I heard it loud and clear that cold January morn in Ft Polk La and in my 40 years in the work force I have seen the 10% 100% of the time. From my time in the Army, AT&T, Lucent/Bell Labs, don't car; reguardless of race, color, creed, origin, education, it makes no difference...10%, 100% of the time.

    And that folks is what a commander of a couple of hundred of 18 year old Infantry soldiers or as the leader of nearly 200 mostly senior level computer engineers will face every day, be it with a gun or lines of code.

    NOT everyone should be allowed to own or even handle a gun or a car or a microwave oven. But like you, I feel so strongly in the RKABA that I voice no opposition.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Yahoo Messages: 96403-96427
    By blooddrive in forum Virtual Jeep Club Email Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 06:47 AM
  2. Yahoo Messages: 71752-71776
    By blooddrive in forum Virtual Jeep Club Email Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 11:25 PM
  3. Yahoo Messages: 71727-71751
    By blooddrive in forum Virtual Jeep Club Email Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 11:24 PM
  4. Yahoo Messages: 68362-68387
    By blooddrive in forum Virtual Jeep Club Email Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 06:57 AM
  5. 2451-2475
    By blooddrive in forum Virtual Jeep Club Email Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 06:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •