Thread: Slow laptop, please help.

Slow laptop, please help.

Money spent at Best Buy was no help.

When I have email, MY MSN, and Microsoft Office running at the same time, in particular if computer has been on for a while they all run really slow. For instance I have another message to AVJC about satelite radio still has not been sent for over 5 minutes open in another window.

I don't think this is due to my wireless verizion connection because it happens even when the siganal is good. That and even my word processor runs slow when this happens. As in takes more than a minute to notice a mis spelled word.

Best buy said it had something to do with my virus soft ware and suff running in the background. Said they cleaned that up and sold me a different virus protection (trend micro). At first told me my computer was not fast or powerfull enough to do what I wanted as in run email, MSN internet, and Microsoft Office at the same time and not be slow.

My laptop is a Gateway model # MA3. I have not changed how I used it for a couple of years, this is a recent problem.

Any members in the business?
    Tom Roberts, Certified Hyperbaric Registered Nurse and Jeep Nut
    53 Willys Pickup, 59 Willys Wagon, 83 Diesel 4x4 Suburban, 93 Bronco, 4x4 S-10.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Re: Slow laptop, please help.

Sounds like more updated programs are getting the best of your out-dated RAM :x
    Andrew. [ KF7AOK ]
    [ '97 TJ 4.0 ][ Locked Front D30 Chromolys ][ LSD Rear Ford 8.8 ]
    [ RockKrawler 5.5" LA Lift ][ 35" KM2s ][ Winch, Sliders, etc ]

Blog Entries

Do you have acronis system recovery on your computer? if so, it is an easy fix....just restore to the original image of your hard drive (c) that is stored with acronis in a different partition of your computer and all is good
    Rest Peacefully, Joe "SamDog" EglerWe Love You.~the Hodge fam

Quote Originally Posted by Cronoh View Post
    Sounds like more updated programs are getting the best of your out-dated RAM :x

I don't know what that means, and how do I solve it.

This laptop is only a couple of years old.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Blog Entries

Mine is over 8 years old and functions fine - you have a prob if it is broken and only a few years old.

Have you gone into your control panel and deleted any programs you may not use? Have you ever upgraded for more memory? Have you downloaded a lot of things that could be put in zip drives???

Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Do you have acronis system recovery on your computer? if so, it is an easy fix....just restore to the original image of your hard drive (c) that is stored with acronis in a different partition of your computer and all is good

If by this you mean to do a restore to a different date I have done that in the past with success when I downloaded or changed a setting that screwed things up , but now it happens to me every day.

Every day but usually not until I have been online for a while.

Well, depending on what all is on you computer, you might want to consider reformatting your computer. Back up all of the files you need, and programs which you no longer have CD's for, and wipe that puppy. It will run like when you bought it from the store, for the most part. Reinstall your programs and needed files, and bam

You will need a windows CD to reformat.
    Andrew. [ KF7AOK ]

ademster Guest

I wouldnt reformat.

He doesnt have any problems.

He probably is running to many processes at the same time..

one thing is for certain do not do what Amber said. You will lose everything.

and doing what Andrew said same thing unless you have all cds needed to bring everything back to where you have it, but then you will have the same problem of running slow.

Todays software requires more memory Speed to keep up with the demand of the software.

one cheap way to help with this problem is buy a 1 gig stick of memory ( Ram )

Or, splurge on your self and buy a new laptop and use File Transfer to transfer only the stuff you need for business/pleasure.

If you need someone to do it. I can help.

But honestly with out looking at the computer. its hard to say what is causing the problem.

could be your cpu is running to hot, Hard Drive is Running hot and slowing down, Memory insufficient, etc.

Adam

I would back it all up and reformat before buying a new one. For the applications he is mentioning, 1 Gig of RAM is plenty. ( I think thats what his model ships with ) Sounds to me like he has tons of background processes (Small stuff you've downloaded over the years, that now stat up every time you turn on the laptop, and are slowing you down) which would be impossible for him to go through and completely and effectively remove the programs without some help.
    Andrew. [ KF7AOK ]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TRobertsRN View Post
    If by this you mean to do a restore to a different date I have done that in the past with success when I downloaded or changed a setting that screwed things up , but now it happens to me every day.

Every day but usually not until I have been online for a while.
    You can do the option to restore a program to a specific date, but if you start in the start up screen and you choose to restore the entire c drive to original, it magically fixes everything (make sure you put your pics and other stuff on a thumb drive first!!!)

May be infested with spyware also, have you run a spyware detection pogram yet? there are some free ones out there, I use spybot and yahoo anti-spy. Don

I would screen for spyware first. I use a couple of programs to ensure I get all the bases covered.

Also you live out here(east) like me. We had cable america but since COX bought them out our internet has suffered. THey have sent techs out 3 TIMES and each says there is nothing wrong with any of my equipment. The latest one, 2 months ago, told me on his way out that their infastructure is trying to catch up with an overloaded system after they absorbed Cable America's clients. Also that they are having some back-end issues absorbing the cable america system... Maybe you are gettting the overflow, "robbing peter to pay paul."
    Being on a forum does not make you elite.

I cleaned up and defraged the C drive, this was over due. I will see if it helps.

Tom

I agree with others to check for spyware. I personally use Pest Patrol. http://www.pestpatrol.com/ you can try it for free.

I'd also check the knowledge base at Gateway for others with the same problem. I diagnosed a capacitor problem on the motherboard on one of my PC's after reading the knowledge base. I'd never have guessed it, but after reading other posts of the same exact description of my problem, I looked over the motherboard and yup - oozing capacitors. Same Knowledge base told me of the extended 1 year warranty on that motherboard because so many people were having problems with it.

I'm not suggesting that your laptop is having that problem, I'm just suggesting you use the internet to see if your particular laptop is known to have an issue similar to yours and what others did about it.

A link that may prove helpful: http://support.gateway.com/support/default.asp
    Just borrowing Wayco's Jeep

Thread Information