Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooter's World -- unload your firearm

Shooter's World -- unload your firearm

While picking up my gun vault today, I asked the friendly sales person about their BIG signs on the front doors regarding no uncased firearms allowed in the store (LEO exempted). No, a holster does not constitute a case. Did this apply to CCW holders?

Answer...."Yes"

Now I find it somewhat hypocritical that they are more than happy to take your $$ for the CCW courses they teach.....but yet you can't carry in their store.

In my opinion, there is a much higher chance of a ND while someone attempts to comply (unload their handgun and case it). Leaving it parked in one's holster would seem to be the safest place for it.

Am I off base here on my thinking?

Re: Shooter's World -- unload your firearm

I agree, that is crazy.
    There was a firearms dealer I used to give my business to until they did the same thing. Seems kind of two faced.

Blog Entries

Never thought about it before, but I would have to agree.

Did you ask about it?
    I drive a Jeep Rubicon because not all roads are paved.

Hence why I wont step foot in the place.......
    Brad B. 2014 FLAME RED JKU SPORT
    KE7SAJ To those who have served THANK YOU.

Blog Entries

Caswell's in Mesa asks that you unload your weapon before entering the store and they provide a place out front to do it safely. I always ASSUMED it did not apply to CCW holders, now I will have to ask. Sheesh... I sure hope the answer is not; this does not apply to CCW holders.

I'll let everyone know after I check.

Joe

Yeah, Caswell's was that way for years. I was told by the instructor that it also applied to CCW holders. I was told the spirit of this rule has to do with the fact that a large percentage of people that bring a firearm into the retail area of a gun shop are planning on handling the gun while in the store for one reason or another. Because of this greater chance of handling the gun within the store their insurance dictates that the guns be emptied before heading in.
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

im glad i can carry in the scottsdale gun club

Quote Originally Posted by fatboypup View Post
    im glad i can carry in the scottsdale gun club

x2
    We have another Jeep!

sorry for the hijack but i have about 4 guest passes to use by year end for the SGC if anyone wants to check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
    While picking up my gun vault today, I asked the friendly sales person about their BIG signs on the front doors regarding no uncased firearms allowed in the store (LEO exempted). No, a holster does not constitute a case. Did this apply to CCW holders?

Answer...."Yes"

Now I find it somewhat hypocritical that they are more than happy to take your $$ for the CCW courses they teach.....but yet you can't carry in their store.

In my opinion, there is a much higher chance of a ND while someone attempts to comply (unload their handgun and case it). Leaving it parked in one's holster would seem to be the safest place for it.

Am I off base here on my thinking?
    You make a valid point.

On the other hand, I had a girl friend 10 years ago who's father killed himself in Shooters World. He wasn't their first. These incidents may have something to do with it. JMHO, who knows.
    Well I was drunk, the day my mom got outta prison...

Wow, off to thump the gun stores.... Geeze..

How about you look at like this...

Since none of you own (I dont think anyway) a business that has to worry about liablity insurance, then it wouldnt be something to think about. I am sure there might be some issues if they keep everyone from walking around with loaded weapons. Belive it or not, not everyone who owns a firearm knows how to use it safely. I am sure it cuts the monthly bill a lot if weapons are empty

But the biggest reason is theft or robbery. It is a gun store owner's worst nightmare. If a guy is walking around with a loaded gun... how in the heck are you suppsed to who know is going to rob you? Hmm.. the last 3 guys in the store.... or the last 2 guys? if the weapon is supposed to be empty, then it will help weed out the ones who are up to no good.

That is a reason why just about everyone who works at a gun store carries. Now that I think about, I dont think I have ever seen an employee of a gun store not packin'.
    "Evil will flourish when good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Now that I think about, I dont think I have ever seen an employee of a gun store not packin'.
    Yeah....a lot like a shoe store. I don't believe I've ever seen a barefoot shoe salesman.

The difference there is that I don't recall any shoe stores telling me to unload before I come in to lay money on their counter.

I unloaded this morning at Shooter's World. Unless I overlooked the obvious, they had nothing out front to provide a safe place/method to unload. Granted, I've unloaded thousands of times......however, I don't routinely do it in public/outdoors. One would think a clearing barrel might be a good idea. (we have them at work for that very purpose) Since I'm already on their property at that point, it still seems like a liability issue.

Next question.....how many CCW holders routinely (or even randomly) hold up gun stores? I would gladly show them my permit if that would make them feel any better. If you can't produce one, you can unload before entering.

But the biggest reason is theft or robbery. It is a gun store owner's worst nightmare. If a guy is walking around with a loaded gun... how in the heck are you suppsed to who know is going to rob you? Hmm.. the last 3 guys in the store.... or the last 2 guys? if the weapon is supposed to be empty, then it will help weed out the ones who are up to no good.
    Do you honestly think that a person intent on robbing a gun store would change their mind if they saw a sign that says you can't bring a loaded firearm into the building? I really don't think they would. The 10,000 gun laws that are on the books now don't stop the criminals....why would the sign at Shooter's World?
    Last edited by Stu Olson; 12-19-2007 at 11:38 PM.

Yeah....a lot like a shoe store. I don't believe I've ever seen a barefoot shoe salesman.

The difference there is that I don't recall any shoe stores telling me to unload before I come in to lay money on their counter.
    Oh, good compairison. Then again, its been awhile since I have seen a high capicty Nike. I cant even imagine someone trying to triple tap me with a loafer. Heaven knows some could unload a 30 round box of shoelaces and spray the counter

I unloaded this morning at Shooter's World. Unless I overlooked the obvious, they had nothing out front to provide a safe place/method to unload. Granted, I've unloaded thousands of times......however, I don't routinely do it in public/outdoors. One would think a clearing barrel might be a good idea. (we have them at work for that very purpose) Since I'm already on their property at that point, it still seems like a liability issue.
    That is a good point. Just about every place that does not allowed loaded weapons has provided a place to safely clear. Barrel full of sand, etc. I'd make a suggestion next time you go in.

Next question.....how many CCW holders routinely (or even randomly) hold up gun stores? I would gladly show them my permit if that would make them feel any better. If you can't produce one, you can unload before entering.
    As far I know, none. No doubt that you would have no problem with passing out your paper work. But then you would most likely the guy behind you will get irked because someone is standing outside the door asking for ID and CCW paperwork. He will complain that he feels violated that some 20 year old punk wants to see his papers..

And then you still have the whole insurance liability thing. Accidents still happen. Why risk it?

Do you honestly think that a person intent on robbing a gun store would change their mind if they saw a sign that says you can't bring a loaded firearm into the building?
    Not at all. Not for a second. Then again, if I saw you unload your weapon at the door and have it holstered and open chambered, I dont have to worry about you walking up and shooting me either

I really don't think they would. The 10,000 gun laws that are on the books now don't stop the criminals....why would the sign at Shooter's World?

Also a fair argument. I suppose both anti and pro could use that to push forward their case. But if I can do something to help hedge the odds in my favor, you bet I would.
    "Evil will flourish when good men do nothing."

I tend to vote with my feet and wallet in places like these. No carry....no spendy, simple as that. I'm glad my 2 local fun stores don't have that policy.
    1974 CJ5, D30, D20, D44, T15, 2.5" BDS Lift, 33's, Dual ARB's, 4.27's, Front Cage

Just a quick reply....they "used" to have a sand trap and provided cases last time I was there...(the LAST time I was there)

As for not allowing carry for robbery...cmon Hunter...thats about as lame as saying I cant carry in the mall, or anywhere else for that matter...BECAUSE A BAD GUY AINT GONNA UNLOAD AND CASE!

As for the liability..I think you are most correct here...too many have come in for consignment or repair...and pulled a loaded weapon outta their case. OOPS! Sounds more like breaking the 4 rules of gun safety to me...!

And as to the lamo's that have ended their lives there...it was on the live fire range with rented pistols. They are laoded, with purchased ammo...unloading at the door has nothing to do with them.
    Brad B. 2014 FLAME RED JKU SPORT
    KE7SAJ To those who have served THANK YOU.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information