Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: would you support mandatory safety training for a firearm

Blog Entries

would you support mandatory safety training for a firearm

would you support mandatory safety training for anyone purchasing a gun?

think of it like a driving test, you have to pass to get a license, why isnt it the same for a firearm?

Re: would you support mandatory safety training for a firearm

yes.

the more one "knows" about something, the less likely there will be an accident. But same as driving, there are idiots with both.

It isnt the same for a firearm, because driving is a priviledge. Firearms ownership is a right.

I think the accident rate with firearms would be lower with training, but not limited to just safety training. I also dont think passing a test to drive is enough. There should be mandatory driving instruction for everyone. The streets would be safer.
    Brad B. 2014 FLAME RED JKU SPORT
    KE7SAJ To those who have served THANK YOU.

absolutely I would.

Anyone who says they know everything about firearms or firearm safety is more dangerous than those who don't "know" it all.

No ,,,,,,No............NO...

Leave it alone.............

I support training/testing regardless of skill or familiarity with a firearm. I was surprised at how easy it was to get a CCW permit. If your going to own a weapon or especially if your going to carry, it's your responsibility to be intimately familiar with it. That means practice, practice, practice.

Yes I would.

And I am an avid shooter and supporter of NO gun control. This however is not gun control and will only improve the use and support for ownership.

I absolutely would.

Just last weekend a young girl was shot in the neck and killed by accident near where I live.

http://new.vindy.com/news/2007/dec/1...-dead-in-home/

I would as well... I think it's a suitable compromise even though the argument could be made that the right to bear arms is a right unlike driving a car where a care is a privilege and not a guaranteed right. I'd support it because using deadly force is a serious thing and making sure you're properly trained is the responsible thing to do... this responsibility is often ignored.

I'll give two examples:

1) When I took my CCW about 11 years ago there was a gal that couldn't pass the target portion of the test with the 9mm she rented from the retail area of Caswells. They let her retake that portion (while we waited) with a .38. After she failed again she was able to finally pass it with a .32. I was thinking to myself that this woman shouldn't carry a firearm until she was more comfortable with it. If you're scared of your firearm and/or can't handle it the chances of it being used against you or injure someone else is much much higher.

2) My buddy's wife also took the CCW with us. We had the opportunity to use the FATS simulator to simulate shoot / no shoot situations. My buddy's wife came walking up the driveway to see someone climbing through her window. The simulated "guy" saw her, jumped out and ran into the woods. My friend's wife unloaded all 17 rounds from the Glock 17 in this guys back while he was running.

These two scenarios in my opinion are reasons why I'd fully support training before allowing a firearm to be carried.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

Yes I would, and have. I think the more knowledge you have the better. You would hope it would lead to better decisions made by people.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Yes I would,

Not only that but I think we should have mandatory gun safety classes each year in grade school.

Whether a family believes in guns or not, childern should know what to do when the come across one.
    Tom Roberts, Certified Hyperbaric Registered Nurse and Jeep Nut
    53 Willys Pickup, 59 Willys Wagon, 83 Diesel 4x4 Suburban, 93 Bronco, 4x4 S-10.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by TRobertsRN View Post
    Yes I would,

Not only that but I think we should have mandatory gun safety classes each year in grade school.

Whether a family believes in guns or not, childern should know what to do when the come across one.
    very good point.......

I think in order to protect our rights to the second amendment we need to prove that we are somewhat responsible to posses a potentially deadly weapon.

I support the idea of a mandatory safety test.

I am curious what people think of the idea of mandatory gun locks. I know right now the technology to have a biometric grip etc., is still unreliable and as far as I know no manufacturer is producing one in any quantity now. However, say 10 years down the road -- when the technology has been perfected, would you support all new guns being sold having this kind of lock? I am particularly interested in hearing opinions from current gun owners.

ademster Guest

You Bet Your As.s I Would Support It...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    My buddy's wife also took the CCW with us. We had the opportunity to use the FATS simulator to simulate shoot / no shoot situations. My buddy's wife came walking up the driveway to see someone climbing through her window. The simulated "guy" saw her, jumped out and ran into the woods. My friend's wife unloaded all 17 rounds from the Glock 17 in this guys back while he was running.
    Mike
    Did they pass her?
    I drive a Jeep Rubicon because not all roads are paved.

Quote Originally Posted by rubicontrail View Post
    I am curious what people think of the idea of mandatory gun locks. I know right now the technology to have a biometric grip etc., is still unreliable and as far as I know no manufacturer is producing one in any quantity now. However, say 10 years down the road -- when the technology has been perfected, would you support all new guns being sold having this kind of lock? I am particularly interested in hearing opinions from current gun owners.
    ABSOLUTELY NOT

Proper training for the user, and for those around the firearm should be a mandatory issue (I mean if you have a gun, you HAVE to teach everyone in the home what they are, and how to use it-also takes the mystery out of it)

a lock on a firearm is just something else that can go wrong...if you are a sissy about guns in your home take em apart. Every person that has weapons in their home should have a gun safe for such weapons unless on their person, or they live alone.
    Last edited by AZG23; 12-18-2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spellin'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information