Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Hydro Assist

Re: Cheap Hydro Assist

I don't...

But lemme see if I can remember to get some taken one of these upcoming evenings.

Cheap Hydro Assist

Got my hydro assist done this weekend thanks to your write up (and anniversary present of ram and parts from the wife!). Used a longer ram, but the info was definately helpful. Very easy. So far, no offroad testing, but onroad I can turn the wheel from lock to lock on dry pavement with 1 finger. My friend Jason helped me with the brackets and welding. Used the Ballistic Fab collar for 1 set of tabs and the other set we fabbed right onto the HD diff cover. Worked out well.
    81 Waggy,chopped,caged,locked,SOA,37s,OBA,hydro assist...etc etc.

Blog Entries

OK, I say this again,

I just looked on the Burden Sales Surplus site and that ram is listed at $85.95 so it's still reasonable.
    Bill W. K7ANT 97 TJ with modified RK LA 106" WB. TeraLow, Locked, and 37" MTR's
    "May God Bless the Sheepdogs of America!"
    http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/k7ant/150x150_8KB.jpg

Let me preface this by saying I know zero about hydro and if a cooler is needed. I have however been on the trail with someone whose hydro was squealing like a pig and was told it was because the fluid was too hot. So take my unreliable one time account for what it's worth.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jacobson View Post
    So honestly, what's the reason behind the addition of the cooler? I mean, the ram only adds additional volume of total fluid, which would reduce temperature. Does the simple in/out action of the ram really generate more heat in the fluid than stock steering working oversize tires???

I recently added PSC steering box and hydro assist on my YJ, but did not install a cooler. Only one run on it, so aside from FLOVING the performance, it's still "new" and a cooler could be added pretty easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I know zero about hydro and if a cooler is needed. I have however been on the trail with someone whose hydro was squealing like a pig and was told it was because the fluid was too hot. So take my unreliable one time account for what it's worth.

Mike
    I agree Mike, if you going hydro, why not the cooler.
    It at least allows for more fluid.

Hell yea on the cooler IMHO, I've blown hydro lines from heat. I run a large cooler with a SPAL fan pushing air through it and an additional heat sink. This is on full hydro, but cooler is better regardless. .02
    Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers

Bottom line is that you are working the fluid pumps harder with hydro, which stores more energy in the fluids in the form of heat... So an improvement to the steerings fluid cooling is most certianly in order...
    Working for a living is highly over-rated...

Was hoping someone could shed some light on a problem im having. I just installed a hydraulic assist. I had it on jack stands and everything was working fine until I got it on the ground and it seems to steer the same if not worse. My pump still sounds like its gonna die as if I didnt even have a ram installed on there. The rams mounted pretty parralelll to the center link and I have a power steering cooler. Any sugestions.

Sounds like the system is not bled all the way and/or low on fluid. It's a bit of work to bleed the system. If you are running the stock pump, you have to overfill the resovoir due the volume of fluid the ram uses. Fluid level might look fine at rest but turn the tires and it all gets sucked out.

Well, Im not gonna claim to be the smartest peanut in the turd, your right its not blead all the way. If I would of payed attention to the bubble factory going on in the resevior, I wouldnt of had to post . Thanks for the post. Cant wait to get this done and take it out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Well, Im not gonna claim to be the smartest peanut in the turd, your right its not blead all the way. If I would of payed attention to the bubble factory going on in the resevior, I wouldnt of had to post . Thanks for the post. Cant wait to get this done and take it out.
    Let us know how it works!

Hey guys, just signed up here to say thanks on this write-up. I did the hydo-assist on my CJ5 a month ago and took it out on the trails last weekend. This made my steering so easy it was like a totaly new Jeep. Don't overlook a PS cooler, it's a must have. I used a tranny cooler with it's own electric fan for my setup. The bigger the better on this one.

Just an FYI (I think it was covered though) buy 2 taps and where your first one stops, cut the second one down to that size so you can continue tapping. This will get your fittings in deeper and reduce the chance of breakage. I did mine on the vehicle too. If you do that, just be careful not to get any shavings into the system. Use a lot of grease on your bits and taps to catch shavings and use a good magnet to fish out anything the grease didn't catch.

Just wanted to say thanks and I know this is an AZ Jeep club, but maybe I'll make it up there sometime from down here in TX.

Blog Entries

Hey Rttoys, welcome aboard! Glad it worked for you. Still collecting parts for mine.

Thanks a bunch!!

I have about $150 in mine and everything is easily replaceable from Tractor Supply, Northern Tools or a local auto parts place. That's the best thing about this, easy repairs on the trail. I even kept the tags from the boxes so I could send a friend out and get the correct parts while I start repairing in the field.

$$$ vs. outcome, it's probably the best bang for the buck..........HHHmmmm maybe next to the Toyota rear springs to extend the wheelbase.......but that's something else. haha

Check out this video of me one what we called "Rocker Rash" at Shiloh Ridge. It's hard to tell from the angle, but I get bound up on some rocks and watch how easy I steer the Jeep. BTW, this area has kicked our ***** many times over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxw7yC2BSiY

and here's a few pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

where did you buy that cooling fan set up thats trick!
    Adam

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information