Thread: FBI listening thru your cell phone?

FBI listening thru your cell phone?

I just watched this little news clip that says the FBI can use your cell phone to eavesdrop on you even if it is turned off. What do you think about that?
    http://www.break.com/index/are-you-f...kiddin-me.html
    White '94 ZJ on 33's
    "I've been doing so much with so little for so long that I can now do just about anything with practically nothing."

WalterD Guest

Re: FBI listening thru your cell phone?

Not if you take out the battery.

If they focus on the guy that wants to blow up a school or shoot up a mall, I could care less if they listened to me.
    "Evil will flourish when good men do nothing."

600 million cell phones in the world I'm sure I'm safe
    Bill "Pack Leader ...... No Really" ---> http://www.azbordercollierescue.com/ Pets aren't products, rescue rather than buy.
    '98 TJ Barn Yard 2" lift., Warn Winch, on 29" Wranglers, Basic mall crawler with a Bottle opener

Well, number one, they can't when it is off thats just rediculous, number two, do you really have anything worth the FBI listening about on your cell phone conversations (no they can't eavesdrop on you with it turned on and not calling anyone either) and number 3, if you are doing something illegal enough that the FBI wants to listen and you are not smart enough to NOT talk about it on an interceptable cell phone, than you should be caught for your own safety
    USAF Retired
    http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387459_2669080170774_1369170446_33067098_429933240  _n.jpg

The cell phone companies do have the ability to turn your GPS on if you have it turned off on your phone. I also was told that they can remote turn your phone on because the phone, while off, is actually in a very low power receive mode. i'll ask my budy who works for Verison wireless and find out for sure.

There was a lady a couple days ago who was kidnapped and when the guy wasn't looking dialed 911. There was no conversation with the operator and since the phone stays conected to 911 even when hung up, they followed her through the GPS and rescued her.

A few months ago I called 911 and talked to them for a while, when I closed the phone and reopened it to call my wife, the phone said I was still in emergency mode and had to hit stop to exit the mode. What will they think of next.

****EDIT****

Found this today. Enjoy Oh crap I have a Razr phone

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6140191.html
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 07-15-2007 at 05:19 PM.
    Bill "Pack Leader ...... No Really" ---> http://www.azbordercollierescue.com/ Pets aren't products, rescue rather than buy.
    '98 TJ Barn Yard 2" lift., Warn Winch, on 29" Wranglers, Basic mall crawler with a Bottle opener

I don't disagree with any of you. If they want to listen to me, they'll fall asleep from sheer boredom. I just don't particularly care for the slow creep up my butt by obsessed power mongers who could just tail me for a day (or watch on the damn intersection cameras) to realize that I lead a pretty boring life making money to give to them and their buddy corporations. I want this technology to listen to their phones. I want to hear what they talk about. I'm sure they wouldn't mind since they would never be doing anything wrong.
    White '94 ZJ on 33's
    "I've been doing so much with so little for so long that I can now do just about anything with practically nothing."

I agree with David. Nothing I say is worthy of tapping into, I just think this is one more step towards Big Brother.
    Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not.

WalterD Guest

And they say it's a Free Country. Little by little, piece by piece. The thought of " I have nothing to hide " is a prime example of how easily we are loosing our freedom and individuality.

I agree. Little by little it is going away. And the general public applauds it. I almost wish they would listen through my phone. I could have fun with that.

And by the way, yes you can listen in on cell phones remotely.
    Just Empty Every Pocket is a drastic understatement.

If you drop a frog into a pot of boiling water, he will leap out with every bit of energy he has. But if you put him in a pot of cool water then turn the fire up underneath slowly until it comes to a boil, the frog will not leap out and you will have frog stew.

Each little step that is hardly noticeable and easily accepted will add up to huge strides that are unacceptable. I already find many rules, policies and common practices totally unacceptable - things that were non-existant and not acceptable when I was a kid. But with little steps that were not challenged, these things are in place now. I don't know what to do about it but I have at least said something about it.
    White '94 ZJ on 33's

This is nothing new, in "secure" areas where classified information is present/discussed cell phones are usually not allowed, as the "bad guys" could listen in. That is why they still line "secure" rooms with lead.

The phone is always on, when you turn it off it is on at a very low power, but still reachable. Heck most modern electronic devices are never truley off, they all draw some current as long as there is a power source, battery or plug socket.

Don't give the FBI a reason to listen to you and you will be fine, too many cell phones out there.

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    If you drop a frog into a pot of boiling water, he will leap out with every bit of energy he has. But if you put him in a pot of cool water then turn the fire up underneath slowly until it comes to a boil, the frog will not leap out and you will have frog stew.

QUOTE=David C;200881]If you drop a frog into a pot of boiling water, he will leap out with every bit of energy he has. But if you put him in a pot of cool water then turn the fire up underneath slowly until it comes to a boil, the frog will not leap out and you will have frog stew.

Each little step that is hardly noticeable and easily accepted will add up to huge strides that are unacceptable. I already find many rules, policies and common practices totally unacceptable - things that were non-existant and not acceptable when I was a kid. But with little steps that were not challenged, these things are in place now. I don't know what to do about it but I have at least said something about it.[/QUOTE]

David,

I agree with you to a point, as you view does have merit. But on the other hand, this country is not the same as it was when I was young back in the 70's.

But, it is still hypothetical argument, as this country "hasn't been the same and changing" since every major event, from the beginning. 1812, Civil War, WWII, the Hoover Hunt for Commies, Vietnam, Watergate, and most notably 9/11. All of these events shook our country to the core and changed the way we did things or viewed them. Things became a necessity, much like a resident who is 80 years old and grew up in Queen Creek, AZ, now has to lock his doors at night since his little town way of life, has become city living. Things change and evolve. This is another step, I dont know if its better or worse.

But with a rock certainty, I can tell you 9/11 affected me more than anyone I know. It has shaped and changed the way I run my life and my business. ... thankfully. But it still rocked my world. People now, seem to forget about it, or think of it, "back then". But to this day, I still make financial discussions based on what I learned from 9/11. I had spent over 3 years of my life putting every ounce of sweat and soul into my business. As Sept 10, 2001, I was almost on top of the hill. I was close to paying off debts, almost caught up on my rent, and I had a 6 week waiting list with close to 20 customers on my calendar, many from this very club.

All that changed Tuesday morning. With the exception of 2 customers, everyone else pulled out. ONLY 2, showed up. For the rest of the year, my shop was a ghost town. My roommates at the time helped to cover my rent at our apartment. My dad, paid one of my rent checks for me. My landlord, let me slide when by Feb of 02'. I was still behind 3 months on my rent. I can tell you, I literary starved at home since I had no food.... simply couldnt afford. The only thing that really saved me, was my old roomate worked at a restaurant and he sometimes sneak some food out for me. No one came in, no one spent money, by all accounts, I should have lost my business if it weren't for the huge generosity of my family and friends.

Now, I know listening to my phone might be a pain, or a small step toward the loss of my personal rights.... but that is all still a "might"... I recall vividly what DID happen when bad guys attacked our country. If have to do that to help protect my business, my family, and now after 10 years, my career... well, so be it.

I guess I have a different perspective.
    "Evil will flourish when good men do nothing."

Thread Information