Thread: Rocker Knockers

Smile Rocker Knockers

Just picked up Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers for a YJ ( thanks James, 4 wheeler). I'm sure installation is pretty straight forward, any advice before I get started would be greatly appreciated. Before I moved back here< from CA., my buudy and I installed Warn's on his TJ. Thanks all. See ya out there on trail

Re: Rocker Knockers

I just installed rocker knockers on my yj 2 weekends ago.

It is actually very easy to do.

1. Loosen all body mounts on both sides at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch, then remove them from the side your working on to install the rocker knocker.

2. After step one, use your high lift to lift the body off the frame. I used a 2x4 under the body to help support it. You need to lift if high enough to pull the middle body mount out completely.

3. After the body mount is pulled, lower the body. Takes the stress off the body so it doesn't warp

4. Take the body mount and cut 3/16 out of it....I removed and reversed the metal bushing with cap and used a jig saw to cut it off.

5. After cutting it off, raise the body again and position the mount. Lower the body.

6. Insert the rocker knocker and position it. You may need to lay on your back and give it a kick to slide it all the way in flush to the body.

7. Use the high lift at the back end to support the rocker knocker panel level. Then use a large c-clamp to hold the front level.

8. Drill holes to install the bolts.......tighten everything up.

9. The front bolts can be tough to reach. I found that going through the engine compartment made it easier to reach.

I can email some photos if needed.

Mark
    Some day, One Day, my Jeep will no longer need new modifications

Hey thanks Mark. I figure if all else fails to READ the DIRECTIONS... They are usually helpful. Yes on pics..... I'll take a look at them before I get started. I have this weekend off(unusual) so worst case is I'll be driving the wife's XJ...LoL. Thanks again...
    Last edited by Wzzl13; 03-27-2007 at 03:56 PM.

yeah, don't cut you rubber body mounts with a metal cut off wheel and a grinder....it makes a hell of a mess.....but it does work.

In Valor there is hope.
    Water's wet, sky's blue and God love the Infantry!

WalterD Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MadCarlisle View Post
    I just installed rocker knockers on my yj 2 weekends ago.

It is actually very easy to do.

4. Take the body mount and cut 3/16 out of it....I removed and reversed the metal bushing with cap and used a jig saw to cut it off.

Mark
    Instead of cutting the body mounts, couldn't you add a 3/16 spacer to the other body mounts? Some day Poison Spyder will be shipping my CJ Rocker Knockers. It's only been 8 weeks or 9 or maybe it was 10 weeks. I lost count.
    Walter

Walter -

I suppose you could do that...but then there may be some adverse effects of linkage, engine/drivetrain angle etc. Granted it is a small amount but theoretically it could happen or at least it could be enough to tip the scales to a problem.

The directions said to cut off 3/16 inch so I did. Really not that hard to do.

Your only cutting the middle mount on each side of the body.

Mark

P.S. I forgot to mention I am runnin' a 2" body lift aswell. Which would ya cut, the "new" mount or the OME mount. What would ya use to cut it? I havent had time to attempt this because I do work graveyard rotating shift. I plan on doin this "porject" in the next two weeks though. Thanks again for your input.

Since your running a 2" body lift, your going to need to cut that mount if it is a 1 piece mount. If you stacking mounts to build to 2" cut one of the pucks down by3/16" which is the thickness of the rocker knocker. Your not cutting the inner metal bushing.

When you install the rocker knocker, the spacing will be at the top of the mount as the rocker knocker needs to fit flush to the body on the side and bottom.

I used a jig saw with a medium course blade. It was easiet to hold the mount and cut. If you have a vise, place the mount in that to hold it then cut it off.

I tried a cut off saw but switched to the jig saw as I felt the cut off blade was not getting a straight enough cut.

I suppose you could use a hack saw with a more course blade but it will take more effort than the jig saw.

Mark

Thread Information