Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: front lower control arm bolts

front lower control arm bolts

Does anyone know the correct size of a suitable replacement? I'm hacking off my old brackery tomorrow afternoon and welding on new stuff and want to replace the bolts in the front. I'd prefer to buy these bolts before removing the existing.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

Re: front lower control arm bolts

Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    Does anyone know the correct size of a suitable replacement? I'm hacking off my old brackery tomorrow afternoon and welding on new stuff and want to replace the bolts in the front. I'd prefer to buy these bolts before removing the existing.

Mike
    BOLT, Hex Flange Head, M14x2.0x105, LCA to Frame, Mounting

BOLT, Hex Head, M14 x 2.00 x 111.6, LCA to Axle, Mounting

SOURCE: Mopar 1998 Jeep TJ Parts Catalog

I have the Mopar parts catalog for most Jeeps 1981 - 2005

Caster can be adjusted by installing cam bolts and rotating the cams on the lower suspension control arm. You can pick up the cam bolts at the Jeep dealership if you don't have adjustable control arms.
    Last edited by SavageSun4x4; 02-23-2007 at 06:42 PM.
    Don

17 Oaks Ranch, Boerne, Texas

www.savagesun4x4.com

xFallen Guest

Mike
    14mm x 110mm for the LCA at the axle, everywhere else it should be 100 mm. The finer thread bolts (1.5 pitch in JIS) are generally stronger. You may forgo caster adjustment but you may not have had it anyway -- some years do not. No issue if you have adjustable LCAs.

A tip: 9/16" fits slightly snugger and depending on CAs may offer a more precise fit.

Use washers and some sort of locking nut, preferably not a nylock.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by xFallen View Post
    Use washers and some sort of locking nut, preferably not a nylock.

Barry
    What's the reasoning for nylock not being desireable?

Mike, sorry I forgot some info:

SOURCE: Mopar 1998 Jeep TJ Parts Catalog

I have the Mopar parts catalog for most Jeeps 1981 - 2005

Caster can be adjusted by installing cam bolts and rotating the cams on the lower suspension control arm. You can pick up the cam bolts at the Jeep dealership if you don't have adjustable control arms.

again:
    BOLT, Hex Flange Head, M14x2.0x105, LCA to Frame, Mounting

BOLT, Hex Head, M14 x 2.00 x 111.6, LCA to Axle, Mounting
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

If I was going to replace them, I would find the best bolts that you can, make sure they fit tight for your application, etc.

Busting a control arm bolt puts a quick end to the days fun.

[IMG][/IMG]

Renob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RokNRich View Post
    If I was going to replace them, I would find the best bolts that you can, make sure they fit tight for your application, etc.

Busting a control arm bolt puts a quick end to the days fun.
    Agreed but if you always carry replacements, this will not be such a bummer.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think I have some bolts already, have to check the spares bag... but I'll get some new ones just for the heck of it. Afterall, they're new in the back.

I haven't replaced them already because I do have the caster bolts. I've always thought it was regretable that they got rid of these because these at their maximum setting are perfect for a 4" lift IMHO. My Jeep drives better than any Jeep (stock or not) that I've driven... well, perhaps a bit bouncier.

Unfortunately since my stock mounts are toast I'll be switching to standard bolts as my replacement brackets will not work with the cam bolts.

Mike
    I'm an idiot.
    I have no clue...

I have all the stock ones sitting around if you want them...
    Mike Baney
    09 Commander - 5.7L Hemi

xFallen Guest

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think I have some bolts already, have to check the spares bag... but I'll get some new ones just for the heck of it. Afterall, they're new in the back.

I haven't replaced them already because I do have the caster bolts. I've always thought it was regretable that they got rid of these because these at their maximum setting are perfect for a 4" lift IMHO. My Jeep drives better than any Jeep (stock or not) that I've driven... well, perhaps a bit bouncier.

Unfortunately since my stock mounts are toast I'll be switching to standard bolts as my replacement brackets will not work with the cam bolts.

Mike

Good call. 4" should be plenty long but you'll figure that out depending on number of washers. The parts book lengths are not accurate for all years as noted from first hand experience.

The stock bolts are also often necked down causing too much slop in the fitment of the CAs and should generally not be used for after market control arms. I say often because some from the dealer are not necked down. Get them from somewhere that carries grade 8 or JIS equivalent hardware and not the dealership.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by jeepin_in_az View Post
    I have all the stock ones sitting around if you want them...
    X2 (from my TJ)
    --James
    '84 CJ7 w/bunch of junk

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Right before I put new bushings in my CAs I took the different sizes down to ACE Hw and searched around until I found the largest size of G8 bolt that would fit and was of the proper length...worked for me.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Well I ended up not doing this project as I had to move a Tacoma from gilbert to surprise today (on a rented uhaul auto transport). My buddy Brian was with me (it was his truck and we were towing it there to get some work done on it). Right when we were passing the street he shouts, "there's the street". I get on the brakes relatively good and the tire straps somehow slip off the wheels and the whole truck jumps the trailer. The front wheels are now on the ground with the rest of the truck being suspended just behind the front wheels by the rame. The truck jumped forward enough for the front of the truck to clear the trailer tongue jack without damaging it (and the tongue jack was resting in the engine compartment and stopped right before taking out the surge brakes. It's amazing absolutely zero was damaged in this stunt. . To get the truck back on the trailer the right way we had to lift the truck up about 2' to clear the tongue jack and push it backwards...

...to be continued...

Mike
    I'm an idiot.
    I have no clue...

Blog Entries

Well I ended up not doing this project as I had to move a Tacoma from gilbert to surprise today (on a rented uhaul auto transport). My buddy Brian was with me (it was his truck and we were towing it there to get some work done on it). Right when we were passing the street he shouts, "there's the street". I get on the brakes relatively good and the tire straps somehow slip off the wheels and the whole truck jumps the trailer. The front wheels are now on the ground with the rest of the truck being suspended just behind the front wheels by the rame. The truck jumped forward enough for the front of the truck to clear the trailer tongue jack without damaging it (and the tongue jack was resting in the engine compartment and stopped right before taking out the surge brakes. It's amazing absolutely zero was damaged in this stunt. . To get the truck back on the trailer the right way we had to lift the truck up about 2' to clear the tongue jack and push it backwards...

...to be continued...

Mike
    This post is worthless without pic's. Jeez Mike, sounds like a Three Stooges flic!
    05 Rubi., "HYJAK" 5.5" RK X-factor long arm lift, 37" Pro Comp Xterrains, Walker Evans 17" BL, ARB lockers,4:88 gears with alloy axles, 9.5 ti Warn winch. Monkeybars custom roll cage.

Renob Guest

My buddy Brian was with me. Right when we were passing the street he shouts, "there's the street".
    When this happens to me, I usually punch the shouter in the head, go around the block, punch the shouter in the head again and then turn down the correct street, as I now know where it is.
    Last edited by Renob; 04-20-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information