Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy a motorcycle helmet????

Where to buy a motorcycle helmet????

Hey picking up new softail today where in the valley can I find a good selection of helmets at a good price??

Re: Where to buy a motorcycle helmet????

What kind of helmet are you looking for... half, 3/4 or full?

If your getting a new softail start with them. Each new HD I have picked up I was offered a helmet along with the sale.

I have both half and 3/4 helmets still in the box in the garage if you are looking for one of those styles. Let me know, you can have one or both if you like.

I wear a full face helmet, and have found the best selection of brands, styles, and sizes for a full face is at any sportbike shop in the valley.

Good luck,
    Dave

Not to jump on Dave here but it's recommended to replace helmets every 5 years due to weather and use (and non-use).

I'm just wondering how long they have been sitting in a garage (AZ heat) and how old they are.

I got my helmet from www.helmetharbor.com and they are local to PHX, down in Gilbert.

GLEN REAMS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fishingfever View Post
    Hey picking up new softail today where in the valley can I find a good selection of helmets at a good price??
    since you are located in globe, are there any dirt bike shops/ motorcycle shops out there that you could get one at? i know of a hundred places in the valley but how far are you willing to drive?

If you know your size,EBAY. Don
    Gone: 84XJ, 86MJ, 92XJ, 89YJ Current:Jeepless

take into account the pros and cons of each helmet before you make a choice. all helmets are not created equally but all good helmets are expensive. here are a few examples..1/2-3/4 helmets a little less head protection as compared to full faced,no chin or face protection what so ever,now with that said a full faced you cant hear squat they block a lot of perifial vision and if you are involved in a crash and a full face helmet must be removed by paramedics the correct and proper way takes three yes THREE people to remove it one to hold your head and neck while the other two gently pull on opposite sides of the helmet whie removing it from your head.just a little insight to ponder..Jeff oh ya like my doctor told me years ago the human body on asphalt has the consistincy of jello at 70 mph so unless your dressed in racing leathers head to toe that helmet is really for your family (good lookin corpse)
    never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

I picked up the bike in the valley today. Got a smoking deal on it. I had heard about helmet harbor but we were to late getting out of there. I am used to wearing the 3/4 and had an old one. I wore it home thought it might be better than nothing. I agree with getting the best you can afford. I just hate getting gouged over a name. To late tonight but maybe tomorrow I can get a picture of the bike posted.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper05 View Post
    now with that said a full faced you cant hear squat they block a lot of perifial vision and if you are involved in a crash and a full face helmet must be removed by paramedics the correct and proper way takes three yes THREE people to remove it one to hold your head and neck while the other two gently pull on opposite sides of the helmet whie removing it from your head.just a little insight to ponder
    Wow, a lot of misinformation there but hell what do I know....

Name:  crop1.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  54.2 KBHope this works. Finally got it home.

Do not settle for a helmet that is only DOT approved . get one that is snell approved (check the sticker on the back). A snell approved helmet has much more testing than a DOT approved and wil hold up better. I have seen people go away from motorcycle accidents with only a few broken bones wearing a good helmet and some that would of got a way with a few broken bones if the helmet wasn't hanging on the side of the bike or strapped to the seat behind the rider.yes there are some motorcycle acidents that it doesn't matter what you are wearing. same goes for vehicles with seatbelts (that are used) and airbags.
    89yj d/60 axles, detroit lockers, 203/205 transfercase, LT1 motor, 44" boggers, H1 recentered double beadlocks, King coil overs.

I actually liked the full face helmet the numerous times that I have been hit in the head by stones flung up from the road by the car ahead of me.

Seems to me that if I had been hit directly in the face, it may have actually caused me to crash.

I am all for the full face helmet. You can actually hear better with a full face than a 1/2 helmet because you don't have the wind noise whipping past your ears, X2 on what danno said about road debris. Also studies on full helmets that had been involved in crashes showed 35% of them had damage on the chin bar area. http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/swisher.htm
    I would rather spend the $$ on a good helmet than on the hospital bils
    Ron
    00 XJ
    87 XJ
    KD7YEH

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the good responses, you folks are the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind_Danzer View Post
    Wow, a lot of misinformation there but hell what do I know....

not much about helmets and accidents
    never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Blog Entries

A fair percentage of motorcycle accidents include a chin-hit; definitely go with a full-face helmet. Look up the Hurt report if you want the specifics.

A harley rider who wears a helmet; how refreshing! Good job not buying into the "I can't wear a helmet when I ride a Harley cause it aint cool" theme.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information