Thread: Prescott/ Granite Dells Jeep trails?

Prescott/ Granite Dells Jeep trails?

new to the club and live in Prescott. I was wondering if anyone knew where the Jeep trails are shown on this topo map and if they are still open?

http://www.sharlot.org/archives/maps...cott/tn2e2.gif

I've been trying to find trails in the Granite Dells area and this is all I can come up with.

Any ideas?

Re: Prescott/ Granite Dells Jeep trails?

Wow... I have spent a ton of time in the Granite Dells area, and have never heard of those trails. My guess is they are no longer open; a lot of that land is private. If you find out otherwise, please post up, as I would love to run them, too.

What other trails do you like to run in the Prescott area?

Oh, and... Welcome to the Club!

I talked to the forest service, but they couldn't help me since that area is private land or BLM. It shows Jeep trails on different maps, but I'm pretty sure they aren't open anymore.

It might be that they've turned them into hiking trails. The Iron Springs hiking trail that starts on Glassford- just south of 89A goes out towards Glassford Hill and keeps going and the trail is wide enough or 2 Jeeps to do it side by side.

I also went out to Alto and there was the very specific sign of the Jeep with the slash through it- anyone know how long that's been closed to 4x4's?

I've seen picture of people wheeling in there. Specifically, the Embry Riddle 4 wheel club.

I know someone who's lived here for a while and is going to show me some trails, but other than that, all I know of is the forest roads off Senator- the Jerome trails and the ones around Crown King.

You might try the Skull Valley/Kirkland and Camp wood areas. There are numerous areas to explore. Some are more difficult than others. Remember to close the gates as much of these areas are used by ranchers. Get a Prescott national forest map and try a few areas.

Agreed, there are a ton of forest roads in the Skull Valley area. I have spent some time exploring in the area between Thumb Butte and Skull Valley... lots of places to get lost. (Lots of trees down across the roads, too, which makes things interesting.) Most are not too hard, but a few get interesting.

There are also some fun trails around Mingus Mountain as well. Smiley Rock is one of my favorites. There are also a bunch of 2WD trails that are fun to explore out there, east of Chino and north of PV. (Perkinsville area).

And, of course, the Bradshaws have endless forest roads to explore. The area between Prescott and Crown King will keep you busy for a while.

So many trails, so little time. I just love the Prescott area (I am a Riddle graduate myself... 1993), so I spend a lot of time exploring up there. And I have only scratched the surface.

Let me know if you are interested in some trail rides in the area... I'd be happy to join you.

No trails are open in the dells anymore. Califonians. Alto has been closed to 4x4's since last March. There are some trails around, nothing more than a 3 though. If you can drive your rig to Clarkdale, there are 2 canyons over there with a 3.5 to 4 rating.

Talking Re: Prescott/ Granite Dells Jeep trails?

You can always try Mingus Mtn. lots of forest roads to explore and some get pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Alto has been closed to 4x4's since last March.
    1998 XJ RE 3.5, 33s, locked rear, open front.
    2000 Tacoma 4x4 TRD 33s

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    No trails are open in the dells anymore. Califonians. Alto has been closed to 4x4's since last March. There are some trails around, nothing more than a 3 though. If you can drive your rig to Clarkdale, there are 2 canyons over there with a 3.5 to 4 rating.

There are a bunch in that area we need to do more research in!
    The artist formerly known as [COLOR="Blue"][B]XJNATION[/B][/COLOR]

[URL="rockwerks.com"]http://www.rockwerks.com[/URL]

I kinda grew up in the Prescott/Prescott Valley area, in fact my Mom still lives up there. I remember back in High School I would go trailing and exploring all around Senator Highway/Hwy 69 and aroung Hwy 89A. Sorry to hear about the Dells being closed. My Dad and I used to climb and trail all around that area. Let me know if you find any area specific up there to trail--maybe next time I go up there to visit my Mom I'll try and hook up with ya.
    [FONT="Impact"]Brian[/FONT]

[COLOR="Sienna"][FONT="Fixedsys"]'04 TJ Sport Hardtop in desperate want of some upgrades!![/FONT][/COLOR]

Wink Re: Prescott/ Granite Dells Jeep trails?

There are no jeep trials in the Dells. There is a rails to Trails conversion. The old Peavine road bed is now a hiking/mountain biking trail. Other the Iron King trail mentioned earler connects with the peavine, and is also a rails to trails conversion. There are some very good trails around here, but for that one, bring your mountain bike.

Smiley Rock on Mingus Mt is a fun trail... its prob a 3 to a 3.5. I'm actually running it this weekend if you or anybody else wants to tag, along your more then welcome to meet me at the fire station in Jerome around 10am.
    Last edited by Nik2Explor; 04-19-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Thread Information