Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do when BLM doesn't listen???

Angry What to do when BLM doesn't listen???

I'm writing AGAIN on the fact that the Havasu Field Office of BLM doesn't care about the condition of the desert areas here. I think I'm going to go take pics with my digital and bring them to the local newspaper... Knowing the paper here, it will make front page.

I'm so sick of their lack of cooperation and concern. I called numerous times, about a month or two ago, leaving messages with the enforcement division here about the burned up vehicles and garbage dumping out here. I never received a call back. I want to help get it cleaned up. It's just getting worse and worse every weekend.

Sandee... HELP ME!!!

PM me for my cell# and maybe you can help my voice become louder.
    Last edited by BRUZR; 12-27-2006 at 09:03 AM.

Re: What to do when BLM doesn't listen???

Let's all send messages and leave voice mails
    Click me click me!> http://flagada.mybrute.com

Sandee,

Do you have any suggestions? It's truly ridiculous that they have such a lack of response. I offered to drag the burnt car out to the pavement. I'm wanting to help the situation and they won't even return my phone calls.

I'm thinking I need to organize a cleanup and invite the media... I have a friend that works at the local waste removal/landfill, so a container would be easily gotten... I need to find someone with a Bobcat to clear the areas used for shooting of all the "targets" and spent shells.

I wish they would train and grant some civilians the right to cite abusers on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUZR View Post
    I'm writing AGAIN on the fact that the Havasu Field Office of BLM doesn't care about the condition of the desert areas here. I think I'm going to go take pics with my digital and bring them to the local newspaper... Knowing the paper here, it will make front page.

I'm so sick of their lack of cooperation and concern. I called numerous times, about a month or two ago, leaving messages with the enforcement division here about the burned up vehicles and garbage dumping out here. I never received a call back. I want to help get it cleaned up. It's just getting worse and worse every weekend.

Sandee... HELP ME!!!

be careful for what you wish for.......actions like that usually get everything closed.......
    The artist formerly known as [COLOR="Blue"][B]XJNATION[/B][/COLOR]

[URL="rockwerks.com"]http://www.rockwerks.com[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by xjnation View Post
    be careful for what you wish for.......actions like that usually get everything closed.......
    I don't want to get anything closed, I want them to see that there are responsible people that are willing to help, so that they actually get off their butts and help me clean up MY desert.

I don't want to get anything closed, I want them to see that there are responsible people that are willing to help, so that they actually get off their butts and help me clean up MY desert.

thats not how your post read........maybe change your approach.

BTW I grew up wheelng in and fj55 in LHC back in the day
    The artist formerly known as [COLOR="Blue"][B]XJNATION[/B][/COLOR]

[URL="rockwerks.com"]http://www.rockwerks.com[/URL]

I guess it did sound that way... That's what I hate about typing something, rather than being able to speak face to face.

Yes, I was angry in my original post, but I just want some exposure that WE, the responsible wheelers, are willing to help clean up EVERYONE ELSES mess and simply want them to step up and help.

1BLKJP Guest

Dan, I don't know who you have talked to down there, but you might try to get a hold of Tim Smith. He's the field manager and I've talked to him before about some closures that happened out there. Pretty reasonable guy and should at least listen to what you have to say on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BLKJP View Post
    Dan, I don't know who you have talked to down there, but you might try to get a hold of Tim Smith. He's the field manager and I've talked to him before about some closures that happened out there. Pretty reasonable guy and should at least listen to what you have to say on the situation.
    Thanks a bunch Jack. I'll give it a shot.

Sandee... HELP ME!!!

Bruzr........

Sorry for the delay. Didn't see this until just now following your PM. I have another issue with the Havasu office I need to call them about so I'll mention your issue also.

Not to justify them not returning your calls but to support their side a bit............. they are in process of finalizing their land use plans and have been very short handed as several staff members retired recently. ...... sometimes we all simply run out of hours. I'm not sure contacting the LEO's are the ones to contact.

My question to you............. are you sure the lands you're talking about are BLM lands and not State Trust Lands? There are thousands of acres surrounding Lake Havasu that are State Trust Lands......... not BLM. If you can give me a clue of where you're specifically referring to I can try and check out the land status for you.

I will get back to you ASAP.
    Sandee

Quote Originally Posted by Sandee McCullen View Post
    Bruzr........

Sorry for the delay. Didn't see this until just now following your PM. I have another issue with the Havasu office I need to call them about so I'll mention your issue also.

Not to justify them not returning your calls but to support their side a bit............. they are in process of finalizing their land use plans and have been very short handed as several staff members retired recently. ...... sometimes we all simply run out of hours. I'm not sure contacting the LEO's are the ones to contact.

My question to you............. are you sure the lands you're talking about are BLM lands and not State Trust Lands? There are thousands of acres surrounding Lake Havasu that are State Trust Lands......... not BLM. If you can give me a clue of where you're specifically referring to I can try and check out the land status for you.

I will get back to you ASAP.
    Would GPS coords help you?

I do know that you must pass through STL to get to most of the BLM land directly surrounding Havasu. Specifically, the area in question is up at Bison Blvd, and seems (by the BLM maps I've looked at.) to be well beyond the STL borders. There is quite a bit of garbage on STL, so if you have a contact for them as well, I'd appreciate that number.

I'm thinking of organizing a semi-annual cleanup/BBQ, maybe even adopting that area... There's a great group of men from our church that love to wheel. I'm sure I can enlist them, as well as a lot of the teens. Also, I work for a roadside dispatch call center, so I may be able to pull some strings with a local tow company to come out to pull burned out cars and other large debris. Maybe getting the newspaper to come down and spend the day with us and write a story about the different facets of the community drawing together to keep our deserts clean.

Would GPS coords help you?

I do know that you must pass through STL to get to most of the BLM land directly surrounding Havasu. Specifically, the area in question is up at Bison Blvd, and seems (by the BLM maps I've looked at.) to be well beyond the STL borders. There is quite a bit of garbage on STL, so if you have a contact for them as well, I'd appreciate that number.

I'm thinking of organizing a semi-annual cleanup/BBQ, maybe even adopting that area... There's a great group of men from our church that love to wheel. I'm sure I can enlist them, as well as a lot of the teens. Also, I work for a roadside dispatch call center, so I may be able to pull some strings with a local tow company to come out to pull burned out cars and other large debris. Maybe getting the newspaper to come down and spend the day with us and write a story about the different facets of the community drawing together to keep our deserts clean.
    Yes, GPS coordinances would help as we can plug them onto inventory maps to get an exact location but I'm going to forward this message on to Tim as well. He may be able to identify Bison Road as enough. Re State Trust Lands................... most of the help we get for cleaning ASLD lands is through BLM and Game & Fish.

I'll follow up with Tim but you might want to contact Ian Satter of Game & Fish for help also. They have been very helpful in supplying dumpsters and sometimes law enforcement for cleanups.
    Ian Satter
    isatter@azgfd.gov
    Sandee

I decided to start a scrapbook...

The pics linked herein are of just 2 spots off what is known as Red Rock Rd, which is off Bison Blvd...

Beautiful view of the lake, huh?

These are typical "targets"...

More "targets"...

A grander view of the spot...

Another angle of the same view...

This is less than a half mile in from the closest house on the road is travelled daily by trucks going to and from a rock quarry... You'd think someone else would have said something by now.

Up the road a bit

Sickening, ain't it? What can't be seen in these pics are the MILLIONS of nails, screws, and spent ammo casings everywhere at this site...
    Last edited by BRUZR; 01-02-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Dan,
    It is sickening and sadly...all to familiar....ie Table Mesa Road.
    Good luck in getting a clean up organized and even better luck getting help from the BLM.
    Ken
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent - Thomas Jefferson

Here's the email I got today. I spoke with this lady for about 20 minutes today. She seemed sincerely concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Williams, BLM Public Affairs Officer
    Mr. Dan Dennis
    Coordinator of Lake Havasu group "4x4 Him"
    Network Administrator, Coach-Net
    Cell Phone: 928 486-4342

Dan, thank you for your note and conversation today, offering to assist BLM and the community in cleaning up and improving the desert surrounding Lake Havasu City. I have spoken to our BLM Field Manager Tim Smith, Law Enforcement Ranger Michael Dodson, and Outdoor Recreation Planner Myron McCoy, as well as Mr. Dean Barlow - Chairman of the Keep Havasu Beautiful Committee, about your concerns and suggestions for assistance by the newly formed 4x4 Him group.

We are all in agreement and welcome your offer to assist in cleaning up our deserts. Dean will be contacting you soon to discuss involvement in the next Keep Havasu Beautiful Desert Clean Up Day that will occur in March, and some of their other projects. BLM works in cooperation with KHB on the semi-annual clean up projects. KHB also works closely with the City on removal of vehicles and other debris left in the desert.

Your group, like the Havasu 4 Wheelers and others, are the eyes and ears of BLM and other area government agencies in monitoring activities taking place in the deserts and back country in our area. We sincerely appreciate and encourage your efforts to report vandalism and other damaging activities to resources and public lands. As we discussed, it is virtually impossible for most of our law enforcement and public safety agencies to
    witness these activities in such a large area. Unfortunately, limited
    staff and budgets generally do not afford the opportunity to provide
    immediate onsite response except in emergency situations. We do
    appreciate the public's reporting of such activities, and we do investigate and pursue suspected violators reported to every extent possible within our means.

Reporting details of an incident - including specific location, license plate numbers, description of vehicles and individuals, date and time, as well as any other significant information that could identify the violators, is critical to our response and investigation. Again, you and others who are at the scene are our best source to provide timely and accurate information.

We thank you for communicating your interest and concerns to us, and we look forward to working with you in the near future. Please feel free to contact us anytime if you have questions or need additional information.

This message was sent to you from:
    Diane Williams, Public Affairs Officer
    Bureau of Land Management (BLM)
    Lake Havasu Field Office
    2610 Sweetwater Avenue - Lake Havasu City AZ 86406
    Office: 928 505-1250 Cell: 928 412-5007
    Fax: 928 505-1208 Toll Free: 888-213-2582

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information