Thread: Help needed choosing air intake system

Help needed choosing air intake system

I'm installing a Howell TBI kit on my 83 CJ-8 with a 258 engine. I would like to install an air intake system to hopefully improve performance over just putting a filter in an air clearner. Howell recommends a GM 10-inch open element air filter p/n 12342081 or 12342082. Or an open element air K&N 9-inch air filter p/n 60-1120 or 60-1110. Or K&N 7-inch open element air filter p/n 60-1320 or 60-1330. Or Moroso 8-inch p/n 66-310. There are no Air Induction Systems designed for this application from K&N or Airaid. A call to Airaid recommended a generic p/n 200-700 which is the hat that sit on top of the throttle body and the filter that connects to the hat. This might be good starting point for attaching a snorkel system.

I have read comments on other bb's that the K&N does not do a great job of filterning out the fine dust even when using their prefilter. This then brings to question just how effective are these air induction systems in providing clean air to the engine and if some systems are better than others.

THE QUESTION:
    Which brand of air intake system is the best to use for our dusty trail conditions in AZ?

I figured if anyone would know what would be the best would be the folks on this bb. Thanks in advance for any help you can shed on making a selection.

Re: Help needed choosing air intake system

I'm not sure if this will help. I just put a Howell system on and used airaid for my intake system/pn 200-104. Not sure how well it will hold up to our dust. I think this is going to do better than a small air cleaner sitting on top of the throttle body.
    Last edited by Mikegb; 10-19-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Mike,
    It looks good. Since it is resting on the valve cover and looks to be a metal tube, don't you think the tube is being heated up and then passing the heat on to the air inside the tube? The guy at Airaid warned me about using a metal tube if I was concerned about heat from the tube verse just installing the filter directly to the hat.

xFallen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jhpribbeno View Post
    Mike,
    It looks good. Since it is resting on the valve cover and looks to be a metal tube, don't you think the tube is being heated up and then passing the heat on to the air inside the tube? The guy at Airaid warned me about using a metal tube if I was concerned about heat from the tube verse just installing the filter directly to the hat.
    Putting the filter in the engine bay directly on the TB is pribably going to suck more hot air than a long metal tube with the intake getting a source of cooler air. Aluminum doesn't soak up a lot of heat anyway compared to other metals. Ideally there'd be some sort of ducting to allow the filter to get air from outside the engine bay, but I'd rtaher do what was doen in the pictures than the filter right on the TB.

I doubt it'll actually make an appreciable difference unless you can get outside air to that filter.

Maybe you already know this, but don't clean your filter too often and don't clean it with compressed air.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by xFallen View Post

Maybe you already know this, but don't clean your filter too often and don't clean it with compressed air.

Barry
    No I did not know this nor understand the logic behind not having too clean of a filter. Please explain.

I went with an Airaid 200-700 system. Basically it has the top hat and the conical filter connects to it. If that doesn't work or fit well, then I will add a tube to put the filter elsewhere.

Thanks to Simon at 4 Wheeler Supply for quickly getting the Airaid system to me (dropshipped in 2 days).

I had some GREEN filters on the shelf.....

No I did not know this nor understand the logic behind not having too clean of a filter. Please explain.
    Most types of gauze oiled filters do not filter as well when new or when just cleaned. Granted they flow like a mofo, but pass more dirt as well. As the dirt builds up they filter better.

I remember a study having also been done with large fleets comparing wear based on frequency of air filter changes. The finding was that a filter change lets alot of dirt into the intake. So changing the filter before it affected performance was detrimental to the longevity of the engine.
    Craig

The AEM dryflow is supposed to be the best at filtering dust and not impeding the airflow while doing it. I put a pre-filter on mine also to protect against water spray,too.

I'm installing a Howell TBI kit on my 83 CJ-8 with a 258 engine. I would like to install an air intake system to hopefully improve performance over just putting a filter in an air clearner. Howell recommends a GM 10-inch open element air filter p/n 12342081 or 12342082. Or an open element air K&N 9-inch air filter p/n 60-1120 or 60-1110. Or K&N 7-inch open element air filter p/n 60-1320 or 60-1330. Or Moroso 8-inch p/n 66-310. There are no Air Induction Systems designed for this application from K&N or Airaid. A call to Airaid recommended a generic p/n 200-700 which is the hat that sit on top of the throttle body and the filter that connects to the hat. This might be good starting point for attaching a snorkel system.

I have read comments on other bb's that the K&N does not do a great job of filterning out the fine dust even when using their prefilter. This then brings to question just how effective are these air induction systems in providing clean air to the engine and if some systems are better than others.

THE QUESTION:
    Which brand of air intake system is the best to use for our dusty trail conditions in AZ?

I figured if anyone would know what would be the best would be the folks on this bb. Thanks in advance for any help you can shed on making a selection.
    I think you don't need to do all these troubles. You may just buy a Jeep air filter recharge kit. It will ensure that your air filter is functioning at its best. It significantly helps remove the clog in the air filter...

Thread Information