Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about axle setups

Curious about axle setups

I was just curious as to what the most common set up is among everyone on this board. I have wheeled with a bunch of you, so I know that its tough wheeling in most cases, and the setups are put to the test often.

A bunch of the guys in the club I wheel with in NY are building up their rigs, and some have their hearts set on high pinion Dana60s for 35 inch tires (and one or two interested in running 37s, or 38s).

I figured that was over kill for the mud and slop we see out here, and the extra money could better be spent on recovery equipment, armor, etc.

So the question of the day is whats your current setup axles / tires (locked or not?) and while D60s are obviously better, shouldnt the dana44 be enough for the general population?

Thanks,

-phreak
    Last edited by jeephreak; 07-26-2006 at 03:27 PM.

1BLKJP Guest

Re: Curious about axle setups

IMO, the most common setup you will find out here probably is the D30/D44 combo.

You will get as many answers as owners almost.

Here is mine.

53 Willys pickup

Front changed to a Dana 44 with selectable locker planned.

Rear is a Corp 12 bolt with center diff, I was convinced to use it for more clearance relative to a Dana 60.

In hind sight I would have rather gone with a 60 off set to the passenger side like the front to match the output of my transfer. Better gear choices and stronger.

The front axle I would have also made an off set 60 by preference but the Dana 44 was free.

Here is my general rule of Jeep Relativity.

If you are attempting to decide between a less or more expensive modifacation and your friends are going with more expensive your stuff will break and you will spend more money in the long run doing the same or better mods than they did.

E=MC2

where E= Economy build
    M= Modificaion
    C= Cost
    2= Squared
    Tom Roberts, Certified Hyperbaric Registered Nurse and Jeep Nut
    53 Willys Pickup, 59 Willys Wagon, 83 Diesel 4x4 Suburban, 93 Bronco, 4x4 S-10.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

I run a f/r Hi Pinion D 60 setup and I do so for a string of reasons. I also run 37s. That said mud is a whole 'nother game and I have done a bit of it but didn't like the overhead it costs. But a good friend of mine who got me into to it was a serious mudder and I spent a lot of hours in the passenger seat of his rig with him and his buddies. I learned a lot even tho I didn't do much more than get my feet wet.

Mud is much easier on axles as there is a lot of give. In fact I rarely remember anyone shucking u joints or any of the typical carnage we experience. However their tires need to be tall to get them out of the slop and wide to float on top. That does mean big heavy meats and lots of spinning at a high speed. Can be hard on trannies be them sticks or autos.

Limited slips seem to do much better than lockers and strong axles are a great advantage.

Bottom line: Don't show up a a mud fight with a rock crawler and vice versa.
    Don

17 Oaks Ranch, Boerne, Texas

www.savagesun4x4.com

YGOHOME Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jeephreak
    I was just curious as to what the most common set up is among everyone on this board. I have wheeled with a bunch of you, so I know that its tough wheeling in most cases, and the setups are put to the test often.

A bunch of the guys in the club I wheel with in NY are building up their rigs, and all have their hearts set on high pinion Dana60s for 35 inch tires (and one or two interested in running 37s, or 38s).

I figured that was over kill for the mud and slop we see out here, and the extra money could better be spent on recovery equipment, armor, etc.

So the question of the day is whats your current setup axles / tires (locked or not?) and while D60s are obviously better, shouldnt the dana44 be enough for the general population?

Thanks,

-phreak
    for rubicon d44 upgrade, the most often seen axle upgrade is going to chromo axles... alloy usa or superior... I have the Alloy front and rear. a very reasonable upgrade that works great

I recently upgraded to chromoly front axles for my D30. Then I replaced my junk D35 with a super D44. So far..............no problems.!

I run 35" tires 4:88's auburn in front, detroit in the rear.

I believe the Dana 44's are a very good axle for 35 inch tires. While Dana 60 is stronger it hangs down to far for 35's unless you get the high zutting dollar ones. For 37's and above get the big guns out. While some of our club have 30/44 with 37's most are whishing for bigger axles to appear. 5-10 years ago back when 31-33 were big there was a huge jump to the biggest tires possible. Of those two groups appeared either they sold their jeeps or moved on to buggies. So IMHO if you want to keep it a jeep without excessive money Dana 44 combos and 35's will get you anywhere you can go without destroying your jeep. There are a few nice jeeps with 37's around and if that is your wish vist Don (Savage Sun) jeep!

Just my 2 cents
    Don
    87 YJ
    SOA
    Dana 44s
    Dana 300
    35 MTRs
    Locked and Loaded

SR 60's with Detroits and shaved as much as possible.....37" MTR's
    Sy
    85 Syota - 6.0/4L80e/Klune/300/60's/XX/37" PBRR's

D44 front and rear, I'm a slow and technical crawler and never into the throttle much, which has kept me together for the 8 years I've been running this set-up. (w/35's) Considering going to a rear 60 and upsizing to 37" MTR

front - from a fullsize '87 Grand Waggy w/ high steer linkage and Ford F-150 spindles/rotors/hubs.

rear - from a '77 Scout II
    '14 JKUR, 2.5" RK, 35x12.5x17 BFG

First you have to ask, what type of wheeling do I want to do. Do I want to tackle the wild stuff or keep it mild to hard. Evolution is a term that is used extensively with four wheeling. Everyone is constantly upgrading their stuff once the week spot is found. If you currenly own 44's you can upgrade them pretty well, however you max out eventually. So why not start with a stronger set up and have more room to upgrade if needed. The pricing is not a huge difference, but in the long run if you are going to play harder going smaller will cost you more. 35" and a 60 can be a challenge, but you just need to back up and hit it harder, it will hold up Another great thing with 60's or equivelent you can go bigger tires with little concern. My experience is fairly extensive, I have had a D30, D35, HPD44. Built 9", HP60 and 60. I have broken all but the upgraded 60's, oops, until now

Eveyone has there opinions here. What I wanted to do (and had waiting) was run a D44HP front and a D60 full width axles. You can shave the bottom of a D60 to gain 1-1.5 inches extra clearance, close to a D44 clearance. I could be a little off on those numbers. I wanted to run a Detroit in both axles, or a selectable up front until I got an Atlas.

I was going to at least 35's or 36's for starters, an adjust down the road from there.

Things changed though, so I'm still running a D30/D35 stock combo.
    1992 XJ Limited :: Un-Limited Re-build in slow progress.

Your car might be fast, but I can take your girlfriend where you can't.

Petri J. Peace

Right now... Ford 9 Low Pinion 35 Spine Rear, Dana 30 front.

Future... Ford 9 Tru-Hi Pinion 35 spline front and rear with 1550 front joints.

Currently I'm running a new type of axle call "Jack Stands!" They rock! Not the greatest on the trail but you don't ever break anything. Also not much flex.............Drew

Drew Hutchinson
    * 2010 JK Rubicon 4 door * 93 YJ Dana 60/14 Bolt Rear * 49 CJ-3A - STOCK * 51 CJ-3A "Farm Jeep" restoring

DsrtJeeper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DrewDog
    Currently I'm running a new type of axle call "Jack Stands!" They rock! Not the greatest on the trail but you don't ever break anything. Also not much flex.............Drew

Finally someone gets it! Welcome to the Jackstand Club; Drew. Long time; no see.

I vote for Ford 9" axles for a great all around setup.

My locally owned and operated rock crawler has the factory D44's upgraded axles and gears and 35's. 35's seem to top out the 'reliability' factor of a D44. I would go with another axle for any bigger tire, but that's me.

My J300 runs a closed knuckle D44 up front and an old Dana Model 52 in the rear a more cursed axle, I'd be hardpressed to own. I've snapped one axle and replaced the carrier from old age. I run 35's on that set up, too.

I do own a mudder in St. Louis. Its a 78 F350 with Full floater D60's and discs all the way around. I have modified the chasis and the rear axle for mudding. I installed a 'basket catcher' for the axle and the ujoint at the pinion. It helps to keep the pinion ujoint free from debree and destruction when hitting a 'mudpit'. The mudder is set up for high horsepower and high RPM's and I run 44's on it for playing. Its fun truck, but a much different experience than the rock crawler.

Build it, break it, and then rebuild it.
    Repeat as necessary....
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information