Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Phx. AZ
    Posts
    1,385

    BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    Hello to all,

    I just wanted to pass on that the Phoenix District have additional fire restrictions that went into effect yesterday. Many of you may be interested to see that target shooting is at least banned during high fire danger (hey, it's a start!) Please read below... and please pass on to your employees, club members, friends and relatives. If you plan to visit other parts of Arizona, be sure to check out the BLM and Forest Service websites for more information at www.az.blm.gov or www.fs.fed.us/r3/

    Also don't forget to sign up for the Tread Lightly Awareness class if you haven't already, we almost have a full class! It will be held at the Sunnyslope Community Center around 7th Street and Hatcher (north of Dunlap) on June 15th from 6 to 9 pm.

    Hope to see some of you next week!

    Penny



    Fire Restrictions



    Phoenix District Office

    Effective Wednesday, June 7, 2006, additional fire restrictions have been
    implemented on all lands managed by the Phoenix District. Restrictions
    include the Lower Sonoran and Hassayampa Field Offices and the Sonoran
    Desert and Agua Fria National Monuments. These restrictions will remain in
    effect until rescinded.


    The following actions are prohibited:
    1. Camp fires, charcoal broilers or wood stoves (including wood pellet
    fired cook stoves). Propane and petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns or
    heating devices are allowed.
    2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building where the
    area is cleared of all flammable materials.
    3. Motor vehicles off road, except when parking in an area devoid of
    vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway.
    4. All vehicles with internal combustion engines without properly
    installed, maintained, and working spark arresters when traveling on
    roads crossing public land.
    5. The use of explosives.
    6. Fireworks are always prohibited by state law.
    7. The use of chainsaws, and other equipment powered by an internal
    combustion engine.
    8. The use of welders with an open flame.
    9. Discharging a firearm other than hunting in accordance with Arizona
    hunting laws.
    President AZ RockRats
    President of AZOHVC
    1 of the original dirty half dozen AZVJC
    89 YJ Nearly Stock
    Dana 60's front w/ OX Locker and Dana 60 rear w/spool 39.5" IROC's 17" Walker Evans Bead locks
    Links and coilovers @ both ends

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    This should be a sticky for the summer months...

    Thanks for the info Jim.
    Mike Baney
    09 Commander - 5.7L Hemi

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    157

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hackle
    Hello to all,

    I just wanted to pass on that the Phoenix District have additional fire restrictions that went into effect yesterday. Many of you may be interested to see that target shooting is at least banned during high fire danger (hey, it's a start!) Please read below... and please pass on to your employees, club members, friends and relatives. If you plan to visit other parts of Arizona, be sure to check out the BLM and Forest Service websites for more information at www.az.blm.gov or www.fs.fed.us/r3/

    Also don't forget to sign up for the Tread Lightly Awareness class if you haven't already, we almost have a full class! It will be held at the Sunnyslope Community Center around 7th Street and Hatcher (north of Dunlap) on June 15th from 6 to 9 pm.

    Hope to see some of you next week!

    Penny



    Fire Restrictions



    Phoenix District Office

    Effective Wednesday, June 7, 2006, additional fire restrictions have been
    implemented on all lands managed by the Phoenix District. Restrictions
    include the Lower Sonoran and Hassayampa Field Offices and the Sonoran
    Desert and Agua Fria National Monuments. These restrictions will remain in
    effect until rescinded.


    The following actions are prohibited:
    1. Camp fires, charcoal broilers or wood stoves (including wood pellet
    fired cook stoves). Propane and petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns or
    heating devices are allowed.
    2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building where the
    area is cleared of all flammable materials.
    3. Motor vehicles off road, except when parking in an area devoid of
    vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway.
    4. All vehicles with internal combustion engines without properly
    installed, maintained, and working spark arresters when traveling on
    roads crossing public land.
    5. The use of explosives.
    6. Fireworks are always prohibited by state law.
    7. The use of chainsaws, and other equipment powered by an internal
    combustion engine.
    8. The use of welders with an open flame.
    9. Discharging a firearm other than hunting in accordance with Arizona
    hunting laws.
    Does this mean no four wheeling in the White Tanks area right now? I checked the public lands site that Barry posted and it said pretty much everything is still open.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    west phx.
    Posts
    508

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hackle
    Hello to all,

    I just wanted to pass on that the Phoenix District have additional fire restrictions that went into effect yesterday. Many of you may be interested to see that target shooting is at least banned during high fire danger (hey, it's a start!) Please read below... and please pass on to your employees, club members, friends and relatives. If you plan to visit other parts of Arizona, be sure to check out the BLM and Forest Service websites for more information at www.az.blm.gov or www.fs.fed.us/r3/

    Also don't forget to sign up for the Tread Lightly Awareness class if you haven't already, we almost have a full class! It will be held at the Sunnyslope Community Center around 7th Street and Hatcher (north of Dunlap) on June 15th from 6 to 9 pm.

    Hope to see some of you next week!

    Penny



    Fire Restrictions



    Phoenix District Office

    Effective Wednesday, June 7, 2006, additional fire restrictions have been
    implemented on all lands managed by the Phoenix District. Restrictions
    include the Lower Sonoran and Hassayampa Field Offices and the Sonoran
    Desert and Agua Fria National Monuments. These restrictions will remain in
    effect until rescinded.


    The following actions are prohibited:
    1. Camp fires, charcoal broilers or wood stoves (including wood pellet
    fired cook stoves). Propane and petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns or
    heating devices are allowed.
    2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building where the
    area is cleared of all flammable materials.
    3. Motor vehicles off road, except when parking in an area devoid of
    vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway.
    4. All vehicles with internal combustion engines without properly
    installed, maintained, and working spark arresters when traveling on
    roads crossing public land.
    5. The use of explosives.
    6. Fireworks are always prohibited by state law.
    7. The use of chainsaws, and other equipment powered by an internal
    combustion engine.
    8. The use of welders with an open flame.
    9. Discharging a firearm other than hunting in accordance with Arizona
    hunting laws.
    Number 3. Does this mean no runs? This checking
    No Money to Wheel

  5. #5
    xFallen Guest

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    Quote Originally Posted by JCSXJ
    Does this mean no four wheeling in the White Tanks area right now? I checked the public lands site that Barry posted and it said pretty much everything is still open.
    With this information it seems we have a bit of a conflict. I guess I would tend to trust the BLM statement. I suspect they were just a little slower at posting up maybe. It seems to me that the BLM announcement basically says stay on the pavement.

    A muffler is not technically a spark arrestor. Maybe BLM accepts mufflers as spark arrestors...dunno.

    The way I read this, park the rig when it comes to BLM lands. Someone please tell me I am wrong.

    Maybe it is time to start the build after all...


    Barry

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    157

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    That sucks! I was looking foward to wheeling tonight. I'm gonna give BLM a call when they open and ask them. I'll post up what ever they tell me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    157

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    Ok, I just got off the phone with Diana @ BLM and she that that there is no open fires or shooting, but 4-wheeling is still open.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    157

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    BTW, the only area I asked about was the White Tanks.

  9. #9
    twstdtj Guest

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    Quote Originally Posted by xFallen
    With this information it seems we have a bit of a conflict. I guess I would tend to trust the BLM statement. I suspect they were just a little slower at posting up maybe. It seems to me that the BLM announcement basically says stay on the pavement.

    A muffler is not technically a spark arrestor. Maybe BLM accepts mufflers as spark arrestors...dunno.

    The way I read this, park the rig when it comes to BLM lands. Someone please tell me I am wrong.

    Maybe it is time to start the build after all...


    Barry
    Thats why Im doing my build now. That way when its cool again Im all set!! Cant wait to wheel again though I may need to ride shotgun with someone on a few runs to get my fix

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    west phx.
    Posts
    508

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    I also called the BLM they said trails ok but washes are questionable. I feel get your runs in this week, then hold out for the summer rains. Its better to miss a few weeks than to have a fire and miss a few years or longer. Just my 2 cents!

    Jim
    No Money to Wheel

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    14

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hackle
    Many of you may be interested to see that target shooting is at least banned during high fire danger (hey, it's a start!)
    It is sensible to ban target shooting when fire danger is high, but are you saying target shooting should be banned altogether? On public land???
    There are lots of folks out there who would like to ban wheeling on public land as well, so keep in mind the phrase "Sauce for the goose".

  12. #12
    xFallen Guest

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPF
    It is sensible to ban target shooting when fire danger is high, but are you saying target shooting should be banned altogether? On public land???
    There are lots of folks out there who would like to ban wheeling on public land as well, so keep in mind the phrase "Sauce for the goose".
    Hopefully Jim will clarify, but isn't that quote from Penny of the BLM? As you point out, like it or not target shooting on BLM managed land is a legitimate use of the land and therefore should be supported just like our legitimate use.


    Barry

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Phx. AZ
    Posts
    1,385

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    First off that is not my quote but the quote from BLM as they know we have a problem in that area. Note I am a gun owner also and have no problem with shooting. What I do have a problem with is unsafe areas and the trash left behind. If the shooters in the area do not start to clean up and police themselves they deserve to be banned just like we would due to lack of responsible use.

    I deal 4 wheel drive groups and Quad and Motorcycle groups that support responsable use. I have only seen one small group of gun owners step up to the plate to help out and then only at a clean up that was 90% OHV labor.

    If you went on a club run and threw all your trash out on the trail is there any doubt in your mind that you would not get chewed out by the group? The gun groups need to start doing the same peer preasure in the shooting areas.
    Jim F.
    President AZ RockRats
    President of AZOHVC
    1 of the original dirty half dozen AZVJC
    89 YJ Nearly Stock
    Dana 60's front w/ OX Locker and Dana 60 rear w/spool 39.5" IROC's 17" Walker Evans Bead locks
    Links and coilovers @ both ends

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,887

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPF
    It is sensible to ban target shooting when fire danger is high, but are you saying target shooting should be banned altogether? On public land???
    There are lots of folks out there who would like to ban wheeling on public land as well, so keep in mind the phrase "Sauce for the goose".
    Have you been out to Table Mesa lately?

    Have you seen the hillsides at some of the "shooting galleries" out there, completely devoid of any plant life, but littered with bullet-ridden propane tanks, old computers, refrigerators, washers, stolen vehicles, etc, etc, etc......

    Have you sat out there, in the hot sun, on top of a pile of shotgun shells about 10 feet across and a foot deep, picking them up, one by one.

    Have you been out there camping and been woken up at 3 in the morning by the sound of automatic gunfire less than a half mile away, gunfire that lasted a couple hours until they drove away firing their guns in the air.

    Have you wondered where all this crap came from that is shot up, scattered across the desert?? My guess is that the target shooters. Sure people dump trash out there and leave it. I've seen the piles. I've also seen those piles scattered out over a large area, looking like swiss cheese.

    I'm not against responsible target shooting on public lands, I'm against what I see every time I go to Table Mesa road. If banning target shooting on public lands gets rid of this, then I'm all for it.

    And yes, I am a gun owner.

    Rick
    RIP The Tetanus Shot

  15. #15

    Re: BLM Fire Restrictions I just got this.

    Have you been out to Table Mesa lately?

    Have you seen the hillsides at some of the "shooting galleries" out there, completely devoid of any plant life, but littered with bullet-ridden propane tanks, old computers, refrigerators, washers, stolen vehicles, etc, etc, etc......

    Have you sat out there, in the hot sun, on top of a pile of shotgun shells about 10 feet across and a foot deep, picking them up, one by one.
    This is the same situation at Sugarloaf Mtn and upper sycamore.

    When we go target shooting up there in the winter, we take out close to 10 PICKUP TRUCKS full of crap out of there. WHY DO THESE LOWLIFES THINK THAT PUBLIC LAND EQUALS DUMP LAND???! Yet, after all our efforts, it still looks horrible. It's embarrasing, and seems to be the normal behevior for these people. I'm very frustrated with the whole situation. I've never seen a ranger. I've never seen anyone else (shooters) cleaning up.
    Mark c.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Yahoo Messages: 73329-73353
    By blooddrive in forum Virtual Jeep Club Email Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 06:01 AM
  2. Yahoo Messages: 71928-71952
    By blooddrive in forum Virtual Jeep Club Email Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 05:16 AM
  3. Yahoo Messages: 71903-71927
    By blooddrive in forum Virtual Jeep Club Email Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 05:09 AM
  4. Yahoo Messages: 57277-57301
    By blooddrive in forum Virtual Jeep Club Email Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 07:03 PM
  5. Yahoo Messages: 54352-54376
    By blooddrive in forum Virtual Jeep Club Email Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2004, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •