Thread: Willow Springs (4.0)

Willow Springs (4.0)

Willow Springs

Trail Rating: 4.0

Willow Springs is located in Bull Dog Canyon, just outside of Apache Junction. You must have a current permit to use this, or any trail located in Bull Dog Canyon. Permits are FREE and good for 6 months. Please get one before your trip, from the Mesa Ranger Station located at 5140 E. Ingram Street. Mesa, AZ. 85205. Their telephone number is 480-610-3300.

Willow Springs is a wash that winds through a deep canyon that has many different types of terrain. There are bypasses for some of the obstacles. This trail has some big rocks with some off camber ledges that can get your attention if you choose the wrong line. There is also a rock garden at the end of the trail that can offer breakage as well as body damage. When you reach the end of the trail, you must turn around and now run it backwards. The trip out is quite different than the trip in. Where you climb down into the canyon you'll now have to climb out. This trip with a group of 6 rigs and no breakage, can be completed in less than 6 hours.
    There is also an optional area as you start the trail that is called Mini Moab. It is a play area that is made up of red slick rock that you can test your suspension on. It is a fun beginning, or end to your day, depending on your time constraints.

Bring your camera, and plenty of water, along with a good attitude for a trail you will surely enjoy.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by jeep4offrd; 05-22-2006 at 04:38 PM.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B]Bruce
    Learn to drive it before you build it[/B][/FONT]

2. 05-21-2006, 08:16 PM

Reason
    Please use the trip reports or general section for discussing trips.

Willow Springs (4.0)

More Pics from the day...

We stopped at this obstacle and chose which line to take.

Here's where Kenny got sideways. We secured a winch to the front of him which helped get him through.

Here's me breaking in my new Creepy's

Me again clearing the area

Here's where Mike lost his bead

Me getting close to the boulder garden.

Here's where Juston broke his Drive shaft in two. You can see Kenny holding one half of it.

From there, Kenny and I helped Juston out while everyone else helped Matt.

After we got clear, Kenny and I walked back as the other's finished off the trail.

Here's Tom on the tricky ledge.

Re: Willow Springs - Sat 9/15

What else can I say, besides an awesome group of built Jeeps, running through Willow Springs in the 109 degree weather. We started with 6 and nailed just about every obstacle and line from the beginiing of the trail down until the end of the first rockgarden. Everyone did a kik b u t t job of driving and got some !

Jonathan

Jwohl

Ross

John (Life's a Jeep)

Can't run Willow without Dan

John

Re: Willow Springs - Sat 9/15

Hardly a strap pulled all day, this is what we've worked and spent all that money for:

As usual, the camera get's less use as the day wears on, we are on our way back now.

RockKrawling is not a Crime !

desertdawg Guest

Willow Springs (4.0)

Me, Dan, and Mike went out to Willow Springs today to do some wheeling and enjoy the weather. I've been wanting to try that first obstacle for a while now and decided to give it a try today.

The obstacle consists of a series of two waterfalls. The first one is a piece of cake. Here I am going up the first one.

Next comes the fun part, the second waterfall. Here I am lining up on it.

Getting up!

Trying again. Apparently I didn't get high enough on the wall on the passenger side and got my passenger rear tire wedged in between the rock outcrop and the deep under cut.

I just tried to crawl it and Pop! My rear USAlloy Chromo axle broke. This pic was taken after we had to winch my Jeep sideways to get out of the jam.

And there you have it. I had to take the whole carrier out to dislodge the broken piece. It was jammed in there pretty good. It also did some damage to the ARB, but it seems to be working okay. Thanks for everybody's help. Mike you definitely made things interesting out there!

7. 11-06-2008, 06:39 PM

8. 11-25-2008, 06:55 PM

9. 01-16-2009, 04:37 PM

Re: Willow Springs (4.0)

Doubt I'll get a response but I'm curious if willow springs is still open. I was at bulldog last month & every damn thing was closed! Is anyone on this forum hosting/leading trail runs like this? If yes how do I get involved/included? My rig is setup to run a 4.0 trail I'm a member of the bronco club & I've been wheeling hard for about 18 months. I'd like to get out to some of these trails with you guys is that cool?

Thread Information