PDA

View Full Version : Project Scout.

Bama
09-23-2005, 11:29 AM
73 Scout II
I have cut the innner fender wells out on my scout. Mounted a battery holder to firewall. I made a sweet gauge pannel and a Top/cupholder for my center console. The last time anybody here saw the scout wheeling was when i still had the scout axles with the SOA, and 33's. Since then i have Installed a 10-bolt front, and 12-bolt rear to get full-width and more stability. Im also now running 36's. I will have more pics up after I install the Pass. side flat-top knuckle and Cross-over steering. Im building this while attending school, and on a limited budget. So its not gona look pretty untill i save up some cash to rattle can it one color:D I cant complain, i recieved the frame/body 304/727/d20 for free from a buddy. Since then it recieved a 345 from a 77 scout along with a new tranny and t-case. Im trying to keep it from looking like a red-neck mobile, so if anyone has any suggestions, shoot. Thanks for looking.

danno
09-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Im trying to keep it from looking like a red-neck mobile...

Whoops... Too late. AH just kidding. I used to have a 77 Scout. They are great trucks, and I miss mine.

One thing to look into at least from a power perspective is a 392 4 barrel intake manifold from a 392 if you have the two barrel manifold on the 345. You can usually find these on Travel Alls and some school buses. The manifold bolts right up to the 345 because the 392 is just a bored out 345 (a 345 is a stroked 304 so the manifold is not compatible but the heads are.)

I put the 4 barrel manifold on the 345 with a Holley 600 and it really woke up that 345 engine.

When you find the manifold you are going to want to have it cleaned and inspected for cracks (the first one I found was indeed cracked)

Bama
09-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah I know, to late:D Yeah I apreciate the Info, but i actually have a spare 392, 304, and a 345 from a IH truck. When me and my father built the 345 we used the 392 heads, intake manifold, and exaust manifolds. The exaust manifolds are larger and we ground the frame slightly in order to fit them. The only reason we didnt use the 392 in the scout is because it had already been bored 60 over, and it needed to be bored almost 20 more in order to clean the chambers out. Then we would have had to special order pistons for the motor or sleeve it. We didnt want to spend the money on it so we just went with the 345. When we got it running it had close to 300hp, not to bad considering the motor weighs around 720Ibs fully dressed. I only put around 50 thousand miles on it and i am now already replacing the rod bearings in it. That boat anchor doesnt like to be run above 4000 for to long:D I dont do that rock crawling:D just in the mud:D

Linda
09-24-2005, 01:31 PM
We have a parts Scout II in the back 40. We might have a usable hood and some other body parts. What are you looking for?

Bama
09-26-2005, 04:15 PM
I have all of the scout parts i need, and more that i dont need. Thanks though.

My1stJeep
09-26-2005, 04:27 PM
One of the limiting factors of the RPM's is the valve spring set up. With the 345 (you used the 392 heads and I think it will work for them too) you can use Chevy big block valve springs, retainers and retainer locks, this will allow you more RPM's. The Chevy ones are good up to about 6000.

Bama
09-26-2005, 06:32 PM
I was wondering about that. Thanks for verifying it. I will look into it. I dont normally run it like that, especially in the rocks. It only gets run hard in the mudd or when racing small Hondas:D It ran pretty good with 4.10's and the 300 horse motor. Now i have the 1/2 ton chevy axles with 3.07's and 36 inch TSL's, not much umphh. It will cruise at 200 mph on the I-10, but thats not very beneficial for wheeling:( I will soon have 5.13's and spools in front and rear. Im just buying peice by peice, its fun building a project on a college students budget, it teaches you how to fabricate and improvise, but not when it comes to steering components(thats when i buy everything new.)

1BLKJP
09-27-2005, 04:05 PM
It will cruise at 200 mph on the I-10, but thats not very beneficial for wheeling:(

D*mn, that's one fast Scout. :D

Bama
09-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Yeah, it should be in the record books, "Fastest Hunk of Sh*t in the world." :D