PDA

View Full Version : '84 CJ-7 - Possibly a head gasket issue

Bear
06-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Looking for opinions - I know you all have at least one.
I have an '84 CJ-7, original in-line 6, 258 engine. 265k miles. Still runs pretty well. It was down for a while (year or two) needing a new carb. Now that is done, been driving short distances last few months. Now I checked the oil and there appeared to be brown foamy stuff in the oil instead of the smooth brown it has always been. The dip-stick also appears to have rust up near the top. This tells me there is water in there. Posts I've seen elsewhere tell me possibly a head gasket.
Two questions -
1) Any other thoughts about what it could be?
2) Any other tests or checks I should do before tearing it apart?
Okay, three questions...
3) How tough is it to do? (I have no AC and some of the old emissions stuff is removed, so not too tough to get to, but I've never torn apart engine before.)

Looking forward to your thoughts...and opinions.

GilaMtnJeep
07-02-2016, 03:16 PM
If you think there is a head gasket and/or coolant in the oil issue you can always do a cooling system pressure test to see if there is a leak somewhere.

Locked & Loaded
07-02-2016, 09:51 PM
What do you mean by short distances? An engine creates water. If you drive it but not long enough to get to operating temp. it never burns off the water. I would change the oil and drive it. See what happens. 256k is a lot of miles. Head gasket change isn't that hard. But I would get the head rebuilt while I had it off.

Rhino
07-02-2016, 10:58 PM
First, change the oil, then check your coolant level and top off if nessasary , then take it for a long drive of at least an hour or longer. This will burn off all the water in the engine. Let it cool down then check your coolant level. If it is still to the top you probably don't have a gasket leak.
Recheck your oil and see how that looks.
Should be normal and not foamy.
Let us know.

Sent from my K1 using Tapatalk

Bear
07-06-2016, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys! I will make some more efforts before tearing it apart. I appreciate your feedback and will let you know what I find.