PDA

View Full Version : Help needed trouble shooting transmission problem.

phx ranger
09-05-2015, 07:26 PM
I am looking for somebody that can help trouble shoot a transmission problem. I have a 1985 Grand Wagoneer that I had a re-built 360 engine and i installed it. I also eliminated a lot of emission lines and smog pump since it no longer needs to go through emission. The tranny runs good for a while then acts like it is in neutral and will not go until i shift it into lower gears or park and reverse. It is a vacuum operated transmission and will not engage into 4wheel ether. Can any one tell me what i should check or what vacuum port should be ran into ?Does any body know of a website that i may look at? Any help will be appreciated. You can E-mail me directly @ victorjimenezsr@gmail.com I don't get a chance to log on to this web site to often due to my job.

wiley-moeracing
09-06-2015, 02:45 AM
sounds like it is time for a rebuild, heat causing clutches to slip? I would first check the fluid level and make sure it is correct. then if it is I would drop the pan and inspect for debris and clogged filter. install new filter, fluid and adjust the bands. refill with new fluid and try it. if there is still a problem head to a trans shop.

OlneyJeeps
09-06-2015, 08:33 AM
First question is fluid level- check in nuetral (bypass will cause to read 2-3 qts higher than actual)

Will E
09-06-2015, 08:41 AM
An 85 Grand Wagoneer will have a TF727 transmission. The transmission does not use any vacuum operations, it uses a TV lever. The above advice is good.
The Transfer case (most likely an np229) does include vacuum operation. It very likely that while eliminating the emissions you accidently took out some of the lines that operate the TC

Here is a schematic, what could go wrong? ;)

http://www.ifsja.org/tech/tcase/seltrac.html

You should consider joining www.fsjnetwork.com. There are a lot of local FSJ (full size jeep) owners on the fsjnetwork board.