PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been wheelin in the Maricopa mtns?

RufftyTuffty
07-21-2005, 03:40 PM
These mtns are due south of phx and they appear to be BLM land....so anyone been out there? Are we allowed to explore?

~Mike

k7mto
07-21-2005, 04:50 PM
According to this map, there are some BLM Wilderness areas down there. North and South Maricopa Mountains WA, Table Top WA and Sierra Estrella WA.

Unsure if there are also BLM "open access" areas as well, but a call to BLM might be prudent...

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=stateView&state=AZ&map=azsouth

Desert Dweller
12-26-2007, 09:26 PM
I live next to the Maricopa Mountain area. I have been in the Tabletops. Some of the area is Sonoran Desert National Monument with marked and established area. There is some state land in the area with trails. There is also a posted wilderness area with BLM signs prohibiting motorized vehicles. I came across one such area that was fenced with a turnstile gate to allow foot traffic. You will also find some Indian reservation bordering some of the area to the south and to the east. There is an area that goes through Vekol Valley on exit 144 south of I-8 that's a lot of fun.

Let me know when you are looking to go out and I can show you some of the trails that I have been on.

GRUNT
12-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Look at TwistedXJ's thread. BLM announced they are closing that area due to damage done by the cycles and quads cutting their own lines.... :(

Desert Dweller
12-31-2007, 08:50 AM
They are closing the upper third of the area. I live closer to the bottom third. There is also a wilderness area down here where you can't go at all, and there is quite a bit of state land.

jperez
02-12-2008, 05:23 PM
well,

I went to visit my friends memorial at Estrella Sailport turnoff and decided to take the 238 w/b. i ended up on 99th ave and decided to take the turnoff there and follow the dirt road.... i thought i my trip ended at the old mobile ghost town airport, but i just followed the dirt road around and started to follow the powerlines... and follow them i did! they kept going and going and going!
I made a few turnoffs and washes and ended up right up to the estrella mountainside w/ lots of cacti.
finally 2 1/2 hours later i ended up closer to the estrella parkway! i saw the road a school and some houses and was getting worried that i was going to run into a dead end.

and i did.... a fairly large drop off that i made easily... but after that was estrella parkway, oncoming traffic and a SIDEWALK!!!! yep, I had to drive over the sidewalk. I hate the urban sprawl!:dizzy2: