PDA

View Full Version : 7.5 Million acres tied up by the BLM

Linda
07-19-2005, 07:03 PM
From the ASA4WDC trip to DC

... The best one was Congressman Hayworth who asked the BLM rep how many acres of WSA (wilderness study areas) they had on the books. The answer was 14.5 million. He then asked how many of those acres were found to not conform to wilderness areas? The answer 7.5 million. He was then asked with a straight face how these areas were managed? Answer as if they were wilderness. Question what are you waiting for to release these lands back to use? Answer Congressional authorization. Questions when did you send a report to congress asking for that authorization? Answer well in 1991 we sent in the areas that fit the wilderness bill for consideration. They never sent any information to Congress about the 7.5 million acres that could not fit the Wilderness bill, they just thought they would hold on to it. We need to push this it is very out in the open now! We need our 7.5 million acres back!

I think this is probably the most important piece of information that came out of the ASA4WDC's annual trip to DC. How many of those acres are in Arizona? Where? And how do we start the process of getting it back?

Sedona Jeep School
07-20-2005, 07:20 AM
At least they haven't built houses on those 7.5 M acres! :D The only place I can think of right away is a section in Moab on top of the mesa at what is now the end of the Moab Rim trail--it is one of those places that makes one ask "What wilderness?" Does anyone know of any "wilderness study areas" in Arizona? I am all for keeping some places as wilderness, but the "sweeping under the rug" tactic really aggravates me. I like Hayworth's line of questioning!

Hackle
07-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Congressman Hayworth does not like the BLM and I doubt he will let this die at this point. If he is your congressman let him know that you want him to follow up on this. I also hope any letters you write to congressman or senators include a thank you for recieving your representatives while we were in Washington DC.
Jim F.
BTW Linda I think the biggest thing that hopefully will come out of the trip is passing a revision to the ESA as it effects a lot more the 7.5 million acres.

Linda
07-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Jim,

I agree. The ESA is, by far, a worse situation than getting land back from the BLM. The eco-terrorists have taken that act to extremes to get us off public lands. I can't think of a justifiable instance though there probably are a few isolated cases where it was worthwhile.

The BLM is a government entity that, according to your report, is illegally keeping public land from public use. Unlike Arizona State Trust Land, which is held in a private trust and can be treated like private property (which it is), BLM land is public land that generates money for the federal government (us). When it is locked up in wilderness or wilderness study areas it is not benefiting anyone, except maybe a few legitimate scientific studies and a lot of eco-terrorists. So what is the benefit of releasing 7.5 millions acres from the Wilderness and Wilderness Study Areas worth? Quite a bit considering the natural gas and oil development activities in the Western U.S.

Hackle
07-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Linda you are right and I agree that two wrongs do make a right, just wanted to make the point that the ESA was the major issue we needed to tackle at this point. The BLM has no legal right to hold those 7.5 million acres and once the ESA reforms are passed it should be easy to put pressure on them and Congress to get them released. The hearing records on this are now part of the congressional record.
Jim F.

rockwerks
07-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Ya gotta love JD. I would bet if you where to ask JD to find out we would have an answer pretty quick, I will send an email tomorrow to John Kyle and see his response

found this on one of the eco terrorist sites maps of existing wsa in az 2 maps northern and southern AZ. These are interactive maps

northern az wsa (http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=stateView&state=az&map=utsouthaznorth)

southern AZ (http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=stateView&state=az&map=azsouth)

Linda
07-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Jim,
Do you have a link to the ESA reform bill?

Hackle
07-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Linda it is not in bill form yet to my knowledge. It will be coming quickly. I will send out everything I have as soon as I get it.
Jim F.

RufftyTuffty
07-21-2005, 05:23 PM
http://roadless.fs.fed.us/states/az/state3.shtml

Cool site, where you can drill down to view area splits.

Approved road/construction means we can explore?

~Mike