PDA

View Full Version : Too Broke For Sturgis fun

OTR-93YJ
06-17-2015, 02:54 PM
From the Sheriff's log. I can't get details because it's a felony. (unless I want to pay $8.00 for the file)

On Friday evening Deputies respond to a campsite at the Too Broke for Sturgis event on the report of an accidental shooting. According to witnesses an intoxicated adult male took a handgun out of a shoulder holster he was wearing and accidently inflicted a through and through gunshot wound to his left hand. Deputies estimated that after exiting the victimís hand the bullet continued to travel and missed striking a bystander by less than one foot. The bullet came to rest in the tire of a nearby vehicle. The individual who accidentally shot himself in the hand was transported by Guardian Medical Transport to the Flagstaff Medical Center where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries. Deputies and Detectives are continuing this Felony Endangerment investigation

Is shooting yourself in the hand a felony?
Is accidentally shooting yourself in the hand a felony?
Is it a felony because he was carrying and intoxicated?

I'm no expert but this poor ole drunk may have just lost his gun privileges forever, no?

TreeKiller
06-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Negligent Discharge = Criminal Negligence.

ARS 13-105, Definitions

(d) "Criminal negligence" means, with respect to a result or to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense, that a person fails to perceive a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the result will occur or that the circumstance exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree that the failure to perceive it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would observe in the situation.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/avoiding-the-negligent-discharge/

metalman
06-17-2015, 04:05 PM
and you wonder why there are gun laws?

Will E
06-17-2015, 04:06 PM
I think it is because he endangered others. If he had shot himself in his hand in the privacy of his own home the charges might be different. But I AM NO EXPERT.

Yes, if convicted of felony he will not be allowed to carry any more. Fine by me, the guy is an idiot and has proven he cannot be trusted with a firearm.

His actions were reckless and he endangered other peoples lives. He is lucky he didn't kill someone.

OTR-93YJ
06-17-2015, 05:02 PM
I agree in this case he should lose his rights, at least temporarily. But not all felonies result in loss of gun rights.

weasel_ugs
06-17-2015, 08:01 PM
Was this in the city limits? If so isnt there a law about discharging a firearm within city limits?

Bugs
06-18-2015, 08:57 AM
So, how's your hand doing Doug?

TreeKiller
06-18-2015, 09:18 AM
so, how's your hand doing doug?

lol!

JK Slayer
06-18-2015, 09:04 PM

Haha!

ZJROCKRIG
06-18-2015, 09:52 PM

I laughed!!

I doubt in the end he ends up with a felony conviction.

Chili
06-19-2015, 07:50 AM
They should charge the idiot with felony douchebaggery for wearing a shoulder holster. Don Johnson wannabee.

OTR-93YJ
06-19-2015, 10:56 AM

It's sore. And I need a new tire for the jeep.....

Don Johnson was cool. (emphasis on was)

It would cost me 8.00 to get the report and I'm not ready to pay for it just yet. He may have been a felon already and that would lead to a felony arrest. Too many variables at this time. I'll check in a couple months. If it drops to a misdemeanor or drops completely the report will be available on line.

Before we bash on this dude too hard let's remember people make mistakes. I remember this one story where this guy shot his hood.......;-)

(disclaimer- there is a laundry list of chit I've done that ranks up there with this stuff but it remains undetected and private at this point)