PDA

View Full Version : Starter gears and my flywheel - mismatch made in hell.

Kev
02-06-2015, 12:15 PM
Folks, having resolved my transmission problem last year(Hurrah!), I find that I have a recurring problem. While I performed the conversion, I got another flywheel to replace the old one, as the teeth were pretty banged up. I put that down to the wear and tear of being on the vehicle for 29 years. At the time I also replaced the starter with a unit I bought from a local auto parts supply. How nice it was to have a smooth sounding startup! Well apparently the honeymoon is over - recently the old girl was being quarrelsome in starting - right before a tune-up - and the engine kicked a bit while starting, producing the dreaded "RRRatch!!" indicative of a tooth slip. Damn. after that, every start was progressively worse, until last week I pulled and replaced the starter. Quiet again after that - until today. She ground and growled and it became obvious to me that, once again, the damned starter gear is going south; and just a couple of hours ago, the beast would scarcely roll over, making the nasty sound the whole time, at which point the battery said, "I'm done for now. Call the kid." So, a jump start later, the Brick is in the garage awaiting my tender ministrations. Looks like at least a starter replacement is in order. The common factor in all of this: the starter gear, even though it fully extends in the starter body, does not appear to go deep enough into the flywheel teeth to center the bite in the starter gear - the shredding always shows on the leading 7/16" or so of the gear teeth. It's already begun to chew on the flywheel teeth as well. Anyone else ever have this issue? How can I remedy this? It is almost as if the starter that the local supply gives me is close enough to work - sort of - but isn't actually the right fit. Any advice?

Brodie3Az
02-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Hello Kev,

Had a similar issue when my son went to buy a replacement starter for a Chevy. The national parts chaincarried 2 different starters from the same manufacturer. the one they initially sold him would not engage at all, while all was good with the second. Seems that the bolt hole locations on the 2 starters were different leading to a fit or no fit situation.

Another possibility might be that your flex plate teeth do not set the proper distance from the crank shaft to allow the starter to properly engage.

Possibly someone has the same year and engine where the parts can be compared.

"YEEP"
02-06-2015, 06:53 PM
If this is a SBC, you can shim the starter down to increase drive gear to flexplate/flywheel depth. it is not uncommon to do this. if its a different application then tell us what your working with?

FourxDad
02-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Flywheel installed backwards? Just asking.

Kev
02-16-2015, 07:19 AM
That would be, "no." Kinda hard to get a clutch operational on a back'erds flywheel, I suspect...if you could even install the tranny after that... ;)

FourxDad
02-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Somehow missed it was a standard.

Kev
02-16-2015, 12:57 PM
My bad; 258/6 tied to an AX15 & Dana 300 TC, mechanical clutch.