PDA

View Full Version : headlight improvement

TRobertsRN
12-12-2014, 12:40 AM
lookimg toupgrade headlights on willys pickup and wagon ARE THERE LEDs or better choices from where and for hOW much? i have checked the truck-lite site on internet without success. [/U]

thanks,
TOM

Geeepin
12-12-2014, 01:12 AM
Are the headlights just a 7" round ? Seems like if they are there would need to be a custom harness made for the wiring. But if they aren't 7" you might be SOL.

Have you checked Hella, IPF, KC or considered a HID Bulb upgrade. ?

Post up once you find something. I think those jeeps would look awesome with some LEDS in there.

Uniquely crafted from my fat fingers.

Cactus Ed
12-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Are the headlights just a 7" round ? Seems like if they are there would need to be a custom harness made for the wiring. But if they aren't 7" you might be SOL.

Have you checked Hella, IPF, KC or considered a HID Bulb upgrade. ?

Post up once you find something. I think those jeeps would look awesome with some LEDS in there. Uniquely crafted from my fat fingers.

Looks from the description that these would be the ticket; one of the reviewers claims that they'll fit any 7" application as long as you have the correct pigtail (H-13?).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5WJHSI

If you can find some throwaway JK headlights, Rebel makes a drop-in bulb that looks interesting. The Willys vintage lights are no doubt sealed beams - these wouldn't plug and play in the housing.
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-p/ll-h13jljk.htm

Vintage vehicle + state of the art lights = WIN!

67jeepsterguy
12-12-2014, 07:45 AM
On my jeepster i ran a relay to supply power to them. Made quite a improvement the older jeeps get power from the switch. I used the switch to operate the relay then the light power to the battery.relly need to do that anyways if your plan to run high power bulbs just to be safe.

TreeKiller
12-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Jeremy "GreenGrenade" can get you a 55 watt H4 HID kit for a lot less money, that will also put out more light than the LEDs. He's the lighting guru.

Cactus Ed
12-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Jeremy "GreenGrenade" can get you a 55 watt H4 HID kit for a lot less money, that will also put out more light than the LEDs. He's the lighting guru.

Well haill, then. Don't know if that was meant for me, but pm outbound to Jeremy to discuss this upgrade. Will HIDs make me the single most hated putz in oncoming traffic?

BTW, you build sheet is absolutely pimp.

TRobertsRN
12-12-2014, 09:25 AM
TRCK TETR[U]CK[I]TE

TR[U]CK lite has adaptor harnessjustnot sure ifthey haveright size headlights web site not helpfuli will check out greengrenade thank you i garher he is amember here

TreeKiller
12-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Well haill, then. Don't know if that was meant for me, but pm outbound to Jeremy to discuss this upgrade. Will HIDs make me the single most hated putz in oncoming traffic?

BTW, you build sheet is absolutely pimp.

LOL thanks my cacti brother. No it was just a comment about lights in a thread about lights LOL, and the HID conversion is probably half the cost of an LED solution including all parts. I think the single most expensive piece is the housing to convert from H3 sealed beam to H4, but Jeremy can source all of it. I put an H4 HID conversion kit in my YJ and it's probably 5x brighter, whiter light, than the old halogen stuff, but I have none the less never been flashed by a single oncoming driver. Honestly, though, I would have liked to be flashed by a select few of them!!! :)

TRCK TETR[U]CK[I]TE

TR[U]CK lite has adaptor harnessjustnot sure ifthey haveright size headlights web site not helpfuli will check out greengrenade thank you i garher he is amember here

Yes sir, GreenGrenade is a VJC member.

Scott

Jeremy_Rigid
12-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Yes there is some easy options. Since they came with a sealed beam headlight housing. You would have to replace the housing. Then we could do a HID kit real easy.

Estrada
12-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Do not put HID in a housing made for halogen. The light reflects differently and you will be bilnidng others.

TRobertsRN
12-12-2014, 10:07 AM

how do i contact jeremy? my computer not working so well.
thanks, Tom

i wasble to send jeremy a privatessage. so computer working betterthan i thought

IOwnCalculus
12-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Do not put HID in a housing made for halogen. The light reflects differently and you will be bilnidng others.

This. You can get H4 Halogen sealed-beam replacements but I don't know of any reflector-style HID sealed-beam replacements, and a projector-style retrofit will be a lot of work and a lot of money.

Good H4 halogen housings, good bulbs, and a relay-based harness with good connections should be a massive upgrade over vintage wiring and sealed-beam headlights.

Bugs
12-12-2014, 05:08 PM
I ordered these housings more than a year ago along with H4 Bulbs rated at 55/60 watt. This way I could use stock wiring and all was plug and play.
The difference is night and day over stock and I would do it again over HID and the problem associated with HID! Will only switch these out when LED comes down in cost.
I believe I learned of this on JeepFourm?

http://www.busdepot.com/0301600118/

TRobertsRN
12-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Yes there is some easy options. Since they came with a sealed beam headlight housing. You would have to replace the housing. Then we could do a HID kit real easy.

sent yiu a private message

sent you a private message . DAVEAKAAZGPYSYfixed my leaky grahe and raised the entry to fiy my lifted 4x4s. you are welcome to use it for my headlight project or work you do for anyonre else have two swamp coolers for it

jeff krause
12-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Ahhhh my Yj lights sucked..... Replaced them with some 9 dollar bulbs and cleaned up the grounds!!! Done and bright

05rubican
12-15-2014, 07:22 PM
A headlight harness helps out huge. I put ipf ecode housings in mine along with osram nightbreaker unlimited 60/55 bulbs and I love them. Color is similar to natural daylight and the ipf ecode housings spread the light very well with a very sharp cutoff. And I found everything for 140 shipped to my door. I dont even consider running a light bar anymore. I dont need that much light and id rather not crush it when I end up putting my jeep on its lid. Hasnt happend yet but im sure it will one day