PDA

View Full Version : Harley owners, Did you know??

OTR-93YJ
10-20-2014, 02:54 PM
This is my first harley and since i want to keep it as perfectly maintained as i can....

I have two issues that I thought I'd call the shop about and see what they think.

1. The air shocks on the rear seem to lose air. I have to air them up about once a month now. Harley Service guy says..."yea the will lose air when you hit bumps. We recommend you air them up before every long ride". I called two shops and got the same response, except the second shop offered to air them up using a "harley hand pump" and then I could bring it back in a week to test leakage. Both shops said that only a harley hand pump could be used and that any other pump could damage the seals in the shocks. It says in the manual to not go over 50 PSI. I asked how any other pump would damage the seals as long as it didn't go over 50 PSI? The harley Guy said...if the cylinder of the pump is not exactly the same diameter of the Harley hand Pump, it can hurt it.

2. Bike starts immediately when cold, I mean not even two full revs of the motor. Ride it for a few miles- a few hundred miles, shut it off and go inside a store or something for about 10-15 minutes and it cranks longer and seems like it's flooded when it does fire. Harley Service guy says..."Sounds like a battery issue, do you put it on a tender every night?" No, I ride it every day therefore I don't need the tender every night. If it was a battery issue, I say to him, it would have a hard time starting in the morning after not being on the tender as opposed to being after ridden for any length of time. I asked if it could be a leaking injector. "Sounds like a bad battery to me. How old is the battery?". I tell him it's very very old, almost two months now. it's not a battery issue. "Where did you buy the battery? Is it a Harley Davidson battery?" Autozone, Harley doesn't actually make batteries. Can we talk about the issue of the motor flooding after it's been sitting, please? "Did you install the copper washers on the battery cables when you put the new battery in?" I should have bought a Yamaha...goodbye.

Does anyone have a good motorcycle mechanic that i can call? One that hopefully accepts the extended warranty I bought?

62willy
10-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Why? Are Yamaha batteries cheaper?

OTR-93YJ
10-20-2014, 03:32 PM
I don't need a battery. I have a new battery. I need a mechanic that can help diagnose this slow start issue and someone that knows how often you have to air up the shocks.

Huck
10-20-2014, 03:35 PM
I've had the HD air pump, since I bought my RoadKing. The air shocks leak down as much as my tires do. Which is not very much. I check them once every couple of weeks or as needed for a ride. I add pressure when carrying a rider and gear, over what I would normally have the rear shocks set. I never have had them lose more then a few PSI over a month or so.
Not sure what your other issue is, but from your description, it does not sound battery related, to me. Have no idea what extended warranty you bought, so I have no idea of who would honor it. The private shops I know and would recommend, prolly wouldn't. Never bought an extended warranty, as I haven't seen the value in them. Hope yours pays off for you. My least ridden bike will turn 50K in the next month or so. Love my Harleys and am very happy with the purchases, longevity, and value as they age.

Locked & Loaded
10-20-2014, 03:41 PM
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Dorscher/10174970_706941176063274_3552889199768700035_n_zps b2c7e68a.jpg (http://s673.photobucket.com/user/Dorscher/media/10174970_706941176063274_3552889199768700035_n_zps b2c7e68a.jpg.html)

OTR-93YJ
10-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Thanks Huck, that's kind of what I thought on the shocks. I'm going to start keeping a record of how often I have to air them up and how many pounds each time just so it's documented. I've had to air mine up twice in the last month. Both times there wasn't enough air in the shocks to register on the gauge.

I'm sure I have a leaky injector. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and I can recognize the black smoke of a motor that is flooded.

Have you ( or anyone else) used a harley shop for service work and had success? If so, please tell me which one. I'm now a bit hesitant to take it the two i spoke to.

OTR-93YJ
10-20-2014, 03:44 PM
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Dorscher/10174970_706941176063274_3552889199768700035_n_zps b2c7e68a.jpg (http://s673.photobucket.com/user/Dorscher/media/10174970_706941176063274_3552889199768700035_n_zps b2c7e68a.jpg.html)

Change "chubby" to fat and "wolf" to skynard and you've nailed it!!

It's still better than wearing SOA shirts!! Right?

Huck
10-20-2014, 03:44 PM
I don't need a battery. I have a new battery. I need a mechanic that can help diagnose this slow start issue and someone that knows how often you have to air up the shocks.
Regarding the shocks: They only need to be aired up when they are lower than the PSI you like them set at. I check them a little less often, than my tires. Tires get a gauge on them, once a week and my shocks get checked every 3 weeks or so. I will check them and add air if I'm riding heavy. Before any long ride with a passenger or set up for touring dictates running more PSI than when I ride solo. For me, it's all a part of routine maintenance, like I have done with any bike I've owned, be it a metric dirt bike, Italian touring machine or BMW... They all require regular checklist items to ensure rider safety.

Huck
10-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Do you want a dealer shop or private? Don't know if a private shop would warranty it/honor your warranty. Without question, one of the finest shops in the valley is Highway Choppers. They know it and are both pricey and only accept cash. There are also the shops that the 'clubs' use. They have a bit of a wait, but are trusted by those who need to ride when the club calls.

You can PM me and I can try to point you in a good direction. Do not take it to any place that doesn't feel right and that's what I 'hear' in your posts.

OTR-93YJ
10-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Regarding the shocks: They only need to be aired up when they are lower than the PSI you like them set at. I check them a little less often, than my tires. Tires get a gauge on them, once a week and my shocks get checked every 3 weeks or so. I will check them and add air if I'm riding heavy. Before any long ride with a passenger or set up for touring dictates running more PSI than when I ride solo. For me, it's all a part of routine maintenance, like I have done with any bike I've owned, be it a metric dirt bike, Italian touring machine or BMW... They all require regular checklist items to ensure rider safety.

I do maintain my bikes as well, but this is my first bike with air suspension. When I first got it I read to add a few pounds when you're riding two up so I did. I don't let it back down when she's not on board. I tip the scales at almost 250. I'm going to get the Harley pump so I can say that's what I used the next time i talk to them. I want one to carry on the bike anyway.

OTR-93YJ
10-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Do you want a dealer shop or private? Don't know if a private shop would warranty it/honor your warranty. Without question, one of the finest shops in the valley is Highway Choppers. They know it and are both pricey and only accept cash. There are also the shops that the 'clubs' use. They have a bit of a wait, but are trusted by those who need to ride when the club calls.

That's on Glendale, right?

I'll have to look into the warranty and see if I can use any shop or if it has to be a harley shop. My guess is since everything else is so proprietary the warranty will be as well.

Don't get me wrong, I do love this bike. When I mention buying a yamaha I'm just being me.

aroundincircles
10-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Man, I love the look, feel, sound, and ride of a harley, but when I was riding as my DD, I bought a yamaha star. I literally did nothing to it outside of routine maintenance (fluid changes and cable adjustments), and replaced the rear tire. I averaged over 30k/year on my bike, it was my only transportation for 3 1/2 years.

No idea if they work on Harleys, and I know they are a long ways away from you, but Apache motorcycles in Scottsdale Always treated me right for service.

Huck
10-20-2014, 04:11 PM
I do maintain my bikes as well, but this is my first bike with air suspension. When I first got it I read to add a few pounds when you're riding two up so I did. I don't let it back down when she's not on board. I tip the scales at almost 250. I'm going to get the Harley pump so I can say that's what I used the next time i talk to them. I want one to carry on the bike anyway.

Totally understand and your shocks should register some PSI. Truthfully, any air source can be used, but the HD pump, makes it easy. It is too easy to blowout a seal with another pump and tough to get an accurate reading using a pump and separate tire gauge. I maybe lose 3-4PSI, over 3-4 weeks. I know of 2 issues with the air shocks that can happen. You can blow out a seal and the hoses that connect each shock to the one schraeder valve, can leak. There is a kit that removes the hoses and places a schraeder valve on each shock, to prevent that issue from occurring. I air up to 14PSI, when I'm solo and add air if it gets down to 10-11. When I tour I boost it up to 19 or so, depending on how heavy I am running. I am starting off lighter than you, as there is about 75 pounds less of me to haul around. Getting the shock issue sorted shouldn't be too big of a deal. Good luck. A leaky injector is possible. Have not had anyone I know have that issue, but there is always a first time for everything.

Yes, H C is on Glendale, just West of downtown Glendale. Pricey as anything, but you can bank on their workmanship and reputation. All of the bikes in Stubb's museum have Highway Choppers hands on them.

OTR-93YJ
10-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Apache on 38th and camelback has always done me right as well.

If you got over 100K on that rear tire you're my hero! I was lucky to get 8-10K on my road star.

OTR-93YJ
10-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Totally understand and your shocks should register some PSI. Truthfully, any air source can be used, but the HD pump, makes it easy. It is too easy to blowout a seal with another pump and tough to get an accurate reading using a pump and separate tire gauge. I maybe lose 3-4PSI, over 3-4 weeks. I know of 2 issues with the air shocks that can happen. You can blow out a seal and the hoses that connect each shock to the one schraeder valve, can leak. There is a kit that removes the hoses and places a schraeder valve on each shock, to prevent that issue from occurring. I air up to 14PSI, when I'm solo and add air if it gets down to 10-11. When I tour I boost it up to 19 or so, depending on how heavy I am running. I am starting off lighter than you, as there is about 75 pounds less of me to haul around. Getting the shock issue sorted shouldn't be too big of a deal. Good luck. A leaky injector is possible. Have not had anyone I know have that issue, but there is always a first time for everything.

Wow, I was told at the shop to run 40 PSI when alone and 45-48 when two up. There's no way I can run even as low as 25 when two up. I bet i have a shock issue.

Huck
10-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Wow, I was told at the shop to run 40 PSI when alone and 45-48 when two up. There's no way I can run even as low as 25 when two up. I bet i have a shock issue.

Different bike, too... My owner's manual doesn't recommend pressures near that high. It would be like riding my hardtail, at those pressures.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/20/7456f8ad856f42062649948ecee9a7e2.jpg

OTR-93YJ
10-20-2014, 04:28 PM
I just looked up the specs and it says my cargo weight is 474 LBs. I should be well under that, even when two up.

Maybe I'll join a harley forum to ask some questions.

OTR-93YJ
10-20-2014, 04:29 PM
Different bike, too... My owner's manual doesn't recommend pressures near that high. It would be like riding my hardtail, at those pressures.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/20/7456f8ad856f42062649948ecee9a7e2.jpg

I'm going to go look at my manual and see what it says. maybe I shouldn't be listening to people on stuff like this.

OTR-93YJ
10-20-2014, 04:44 PM
Mine says 200-250 lb rider is 50 lbs. It also says riders 250 and above or rider and passenger is 50 PSI as well. I'm going to buy a pump, document the pressure and how much I have to add weekly, then once I have some info I'll give them another call. I would hope the shocks would be covered by warranty if they are leaking.

I do like the idea of moving the schrader valve to the shocks.

Huck
10-20-2014, 04:56 PM
Mine says 200-250 lb rider is 50 lbs. It also says riders 250 and above or rider and passenger is 50 PSI as well. I'm going to buy a pump, document the pressure and how much I have to add weekly, then once I have some info I'll give them another call. I would hope the shocks would be covered by warranty if they are leaking.

I do like the idea of moving the schrader valve to the shocks.

Now you have a solid reference point. They should warranty the shock/s, if they are bad. Pump is a great thing to have. This is what you want...http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/20/59f1f26aab1b8ab993b2e18582ea3a08.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/20/09f271bb4d7b75fc5d2f804a88c35c37.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/20/32c7f7a26f06dede500204dac820710d.jpg

OTR-93YJ
10-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Thanks Huck. I'm going to get one of those pumps this week. The one I've been using belongs to a friends son and it cost a lot more than the harley pump. On his, you can screw the nozzle on first then thread in the plunger to open the schrader valve. I don't see that function on the harley pump. Do you lose any pressure when taking it off?

Also, I just watched a video about the rear air shocks having the air line that connects them together being a bad thing because when you go into a corner the inside shock get's more pressure. The air, supposedly, then transfers through the line to the other shock on the outside turn side of the bike. Sorry if it's confusing, I'm trying to put in into words what the video was saying. Do you think it's true that it works that way? On independent suspensions with the shocks tied together I can see it, but with a swing arm? Wouldn't both shocks operate the same?

JeepPunk
10-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Do you have a fuel box or programmer on the bike that could be messed up at the 0-3% throttle positions at the lower RPM columns?

You can look for a leaking injector by removing the air filter, open the throttle to wide open, look in the runner at the rear injector, cycle the ignition switch on and off operating the pump....if the injector is leaking you will see it during the cycling of the pump coming on and off.

OTR-93YJ
10-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Do you have a fuel box or programmer on the bike that could be messed up at the 0-3% throttle positions at the lower RPM columns?

You can look for a leaking injector by removing the air filter, open the throttle to wide open, look in the runner at the rear injector, cycle the ignition switch on and off operating the pump....if the injector is leaking you will see it during the cycling of the pump coming on and off.

It's stock, as far as I know, anyway. It doesn't do it the first time it's started for the day or even if it's been sitting for an hour or so. It's just after short breaks. makes me think the fuel dissipates after it sits for a while.

I'll try what you said about looking for leaks in the "runner". Not sure what that is, but I shouldn't see any fuel leaking; i do know that.

I haven't looked at the filter yet and I've got over 3K on it now so I can take a peak at it as well.

Thanks.

ZJROCKRIG
10-20-2014, 05:29 PM
The only good Factory Harley mechanics are here in Durango.....

That's aggravating what your being told Doug. Hope you get it worked out soon!

Huck
10-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks Huck. I'm going to get one of those pumps this week. The one I've been using belongs to a friends son and it cost a lot more than the harley pump. On his, you can screw the nozzle on first then thread in the plunger to open the schrader valve. I don't see that function on the harley pump. Do you lose any pressure when taking it off?

Also, I just watched a video about the rear air shocks having the air line that connects them together being a bad thing because when you go into a corner the inside shock get's more pressure. The air, supposedly, then transfers through the line to the other shock on the outside turn side of the bike. Sorry if it's confusing, I'm trying to put in into words what the video was saying. Do you think it's true that it works that way? On independent suspensions with the shocks tied together I can see it, but with a swing arm? Wouldn't both shocks operate the same?

Pump works great and is darn near, zero loss. It has a button to bleed off any overage, as well.

I understand what you are getting at, with your narrative. I've heard folks argue this, but I've not found it to be an issue for the same reason, as you concluded. Both shocks are affixed to the same swing arm and cycle together. It is not like the airbags in my truck which are on separate lines, because if they were tied together, what you wrote above could/would happen. I always figured I would remove my separate airlines and just put new valves on each shock, when mine started leaking. That hasn't happened yet, with 49,250 on the odometer. I've also never had it feel like one shock was working differently then the other, in a corner or emergency avoidance maneuver.
JeepPunk's advice is an easy way to check. Just do it after it has been run for a while and when it would normally exhibit the problem.

aroundincircles
10-21-2014, 07:56 AM
Apache on 38th and camelback has always done me right as well.

If you got over 100K on that rear tire you're my hero! I was lucky to get 8-10K on my road star.

Stock tire lasted 6 or 7k miles, then I switched to a Kenda tire that lasted over 20k, had much better traction in the wet, got far less punctures, and cost a lot less as well. It's the "Kruz" tire. Got pretty good at changing tubes and tires myself. I usually went through 2-3 tubs per tire, then swapped out tires.

OTR-93YJ
10-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Solid advice, guys, Thanks a ton. I'll be picking up my pump first part of next week. Probably do the injector test then as well.

AIC---(for Bugs')--how did you wear out 2-3 tubes per tire?

You're the first person I've ever heard of getting 20K on a rear tire in southern Arizona. Congrats!! Most people who move out here from back east tell stories of that kind of mileage only to see it drop to 3/4 of that.

OTR-93YJ
10-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Stock tire lasted 6 or 7k miles, then I switched to a Kenda tire that lasted over 20k, had much better traction in the wet, got far less punctures, and cost a lot less as well. It's the "Kruz" tire. Got pretty good at changing tubes and tires myself. I usually went through 2-3 tubs per tire, then swapped out tires.

And just to share a semi funny story about tires. When my first rear tire wore out on my first road bike (the road star) about five years ago, I took the rim off the bike and my (then) wife took it to the shop for a new tire. I installed it when I got home. 3K miles later, the tire was junk. Bald to the point is was dangerous to ride. I called the shop and they said bring it in so they could look at it. They determined that there was nothing wrong with the tire and that my riding habits must be some of the most aggressive ever! This made me proud and sad at the same time.

So I leave the rim with them again and pick it up at the end of the day. As I'm paying for it and BS'ing with the guy at the counter, the mechanic (that I know personally) says "I've never seen anyone wear out a front tire that fast, you must be killer in the corners on a cruiser!!" Yep, go all the way back to the first tire change; they installed a front tire on my rear rim and since I wasn't taking the bike in, the next guys assumed it was a front rim. The 2000 RS had the same size tires F&R.

I will say the ME880 performed the best on my road star but you cannot run them lower than posted pressures or they split in the deep tread on the side walls. The dunlop 404 was only good for 8K on the rear of that bike. I'm still waiting to see what mileage I get out of the tire on the harley.

aroundincircles
10-21-2014, 02:39 PM
AIC---(for Bugs')--how did you wear out 2-3 tubes per tire?

You're the first person I've ever heard of getting 20K on a rear tire in southern Arizona. Congrats!! Most people who move out here from back east tell stories of that kind of mileage only to see it drop to 3/4 of that.

Nails. I would patch the tire itself, but then just replace the tube. I could get yamaha brand tubes for around 10 bucks online. Figured it was cheap insurance vs patching a tube. I actually still had a spare tube laying around when I moved last year. I think my wife finally got rid of it this summer. (got rid of my last bike in 2012 just before my first daughter was born)

I didn't ride a very powerful bike, just a vstar 650 classic, but easily one of the more comfortable bikes I've been on, and I weighed a lot less at the time myself. It was my commuter, from maricopa up to phx, so not a lot of 2 up, and not a heavy load and a lot of highway miles, I developed pretty good flat spots on the tires, but they lasted around 20k miles.

OTR-93YJ
10-21-2014, 03:33 PM
(knocking on wood as I speak) I've yet to have a flat tire.

aroundincircles
10-21-2014, 03:39 PM
I drove through an industrial/construction zone daily on my way to work. No way around it. I mentioned earlier, I bought a brand new Isuzu I-290 truck in 07 and got 3 or 4 flats in the first week I owned it.

aroundincircles
10-21-2014, 07:41 PM
OTR, have you posted a pic of your bike? I had a thread a while ago for people to post, but I didn't see it.

OTR-93YJ
10-22-2014, 07:46 AM
I did somewhere because i remember being picked on and bullied for the pictures showing up sideways or something. People can be so mean at times...

I'll see if I can find it.

Oh, and after staying up till after midnight learning to use Itunes and making a CD of the music I want to listen to while riding I find out the CD player doesn't work well when the bike is moving.

OTR-93YJ
10-22-2014, 07:50 AM
Try this. They look right on my puter.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56857&d=1396461975

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56858&d=1396461995

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56856&d=1396461949

67jeepsterguy
10-22-2014, 07:50 AM
Ipod or download to your phone is best

OTR-93YJ
10-22-2014, 07:55 AM
This is the phone I have. How do I download to it? LOL!

http://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2012/04/22/0fe6c6e3-fdc4-11e2-8c7c-d4ae52e62bcc/b4b2d84d150d161168ccec6726d42ff6/SamsungGusto2.jpg

67jeepsterguy
10-22-2014, 09:04 AM
I guess you might be needing a phone upgrade. I dident know people were still using those.do you have a aux port in your stereo or a usb the usb is nice you can download music to a flash drive and plug it in no cords. If you use your phone or a ipod you need a cord to plug into the aux port on the stereo.might not be a good thing on a bike.

aroundincircles
10-22-2014, 09:57 AM
You can also get a helmet bluetooth kit, That's what I used, iPod bluetoothed to headset.

That's a nice looking bike. Really like the color.

OTR-93YJ
10-22-2014, 10:05 AM
There is a place to plug an Ipod in. Up at the too Broke rally a guy in our camp plugged his in to it and it worked. I didn't even know it was there.

I rarely wear a helmet. The radio works perfectly, this is all backlash from losing 93.3. I used to bounce from them to KSLX and KOOL.

OTR-93YJ
10-22-2014, 10:06 AM
You can also get a helmet bluetooth kit, That's what I used, iPod bluetoothed to headset.

That's a nice looking bike. Really like the color.

Thanks, I get a lot of comments on the color and the windshield graphics; both were there when I bought it.

I was told you can't the windshields with graphic like that any more. Not sure though.

aroundincircles
10-22-2014, 10:38 AM
I'm partial to blue bikes myself, and white, I cannot resist a white bike.