PDA

View Full Version : how to keep FSJ cool?

bfgoodrich10
05-15-2014, 08:59 PM
So I have the 360 in a '79 cherokee and I am already having some issues keeping it cool. I do not have shroud, I have read that does make a pretty big difference also what is the easiest electric fan upgrade?

ZJROCKRIG
05-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Shroud is a must for that engine compartment.

Also, an electric fan will not hold a candle to the stock 7 blade thermo clutch fan that is stock.

ob1jeeper
05-15-2014, 11:08 PM
shroud is a must for that engine compartment.

Also, an electric fan will not hold a candle to the stock 7 blade thermo clutch fan that is stock.^ x2…

TRobertsRN
05-16-2014, 01:56 AM
Shroud is a must for that engine compartment.

Also, an electric fan will not hold a candle to the stock 7 blade thermo clutch fan that is stock.

agreed. Also important it the rubber thing hanging down under the bumper. forces more air through the radiator instead of letting it go under the Jeep. Even more important with a lift.

Will E
05-16-2014, 06:23 AM
The stock shroud isn't much of a shroud but it is necessary. It helps build the low pressure so the air is drawn through the radiator. This is really important at idle and very slow speeds. Driving at residental speeds (25mph) or higher the air being pushed should be enough to keep it cool.

I drove a 81 wagoneer for years and now sport a 82 FSJ cherokee. Can you explain your cooling issue in more detail?

People have mixed luck with electric fans. My thoughts are they work well on cooling systems designed for their use. A little less so on ones they are not. Often times they can solve a slow speed/idle cooling issue but then cause an issue on the highways. The shrouds can basically block some of the airflow 'at speed'.

You might check with the guys that did the work for ya. They might be able to make you a custom shroud. It might not go on/off as easy but it wouldn't take a whole lot to improve on the stock design. Let me know if you go this route as I wouldn't mind getting one made for my rig as well. Driving around town and on the trails I don't have much of a cooling issue until we are crawling along on the trail and the outside temps are in the mid 90's or above. I don't overheat but the gauge goes well past where it normally sits.

AZXJ
05-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Scott, I looked over your invoice and we did not replace the fan clutch. is it getting warm at idle or at speeds ? I suggest you bring it in so we can look it over.

Will E
05-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Hey Dave, if he brings it in, take a look at it and see if a custom shroud is something you might do. I don't run the stock radiator, it mounts in the same places but is bigger, but I would be interested to know if that is something you might do.

AZXJ
05-16-2014, 01:44 PM
I'm sure we could build one..

bfgoodrich10
05-17-2014, 10:11 AM
The issue only occurs when coming off the freeway and sitting. I think its more of a vapor lock issue. I do have a fuel pump but it might not be enough. It runs great on the freeway and around town but if I run a few errands where I drive a bit then park, then start up again and drive around it will shut down on me. I had this issue a bit when I drove it a lot back in the day.

As the its only going to get warmer I am just trying to find out the best way to keep it cool. I have a stock radiator that was replaced a few years back, might have to look into that maybe some more.

bfgoodrich10
05-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Dave, I will tell you what that engine rebuild is strong though, the jeep just pulls and cruises at 70 no problem, feels great when driving. We just might have to look at some shroud options since I haven't had one in a long time.

Will E
05-17-2014, 11:09 AM
I assumed when you said, 'keeping it cool' you meant it was getting warm on the temp gauge. But you describe how after driving and sitting for a bit if you drive it again it shutdown down on you.

Can you provide more details? What do you have to do to get it running again? Is the gauge showing warm before/during/after you have the issue?

If you want to know if it is a fuel problem or not, get a can of starting fluid. When it does it again shoot some in the air horn of the air cleaner. About 4 or 5 seconds. Then try to start it. If it 'starts' and runs for a second or two you have a fuel issue.

ZJROCKRIG
05-17-2014, 11:31 AM
I assumed when you said, 'keeping it cool' you meant it was getting warm on the temp gauge. But you describe how after driving and sitting for a bit if you drive it again it shutdown down on you.

Can you provide more details? What do you have to do to get it running again? Is the gauge showing warm before/during/after you have the issue?

If you want to know if it is a fuel problem or not, get a can of starting fluid. When it does it again shoot some in the air horn of the air cleaner. About 4 or 5 seconds. Then try to start it. If it 'starts' and runs for a second or two you have a fuel issue.

(Bang head). My thoughts too Mike. (Bang head)

bfgoodrich10
05-17-2014, 12:03 PM
I does show on the temp gauge that its getting hot (close to the red on the gauge).

Normally when I drive about 15 miles or longer on the freeway, yesterday I drove from Biltmore to the the I-10 and warner at about 1:30 yesterday afternoon, and as I got off the freeway I was lucky that I got a green light but go caught at a red just down the street and as I started going again it started to sputter and then eventually shut completely down just a little bit down the road. I let it sit with the hood open for about 30-45 min then it started right back up and I drove it the rest of the way home. This is more often then not when it happens. Running a few errands and stopping is less predictable but almost always if its over 100 out and I drive on the freeway then have to stop at a few red lights it will start to act up.

Sometimes if I let the fuel pump run a bit then try to start it, it will turn over for a second then shut back down. I will have to get some starting fluid and run around and see if it does it again and try that.

Will E
05-17-2014, 01:55 PM
It sounds like vapor lock. You have not specifically said you have an electric fuel pump but your posts indicate that you do.

1. Where is it located?
2. Did you bypass the mechanical?
3. What kind of fuel lines do you have in the engine compartment?
4. Do you have the 'stock' fuel filter? Is the smaller return line clocked at about noon?
5. What other mods have you done.

Another trick if it is happening is to go into the next gas station and fill up. Did the running issue go away for a short period? If it did you have a vapor lock issue. The cool underground fuel can overcome this until it also warms up.

But you also need to solve the oveheating issue. If it overheats on the freeway it is less likely to be a shroud issue.

bfgoodrich10
05-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Thanks Will E

Its fine when I am on the freeway no issues there, its only when I exit and sit at lights.

It is an electric fuel pump, sorry I should have said that. I will look at the way its set up and see if there is a better way to run the lines and check the set up. I can post a picture of it if that will help as well.

OlneyJeeps
05-18-2014, 03:01 AM
have radiators, fans (elec and clutch) and 30+ years experience, full exhaust (manifolds to pipe), spare parts from the over 30 FSJ's I ahve owned (63-88)... bring beer http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?82896-urgent-help-needed!!!!