PDA

View Full Version : AZ State Land Meeting 5/17/05 1:30 Dust Issues Canceled

Hackle
05-09-2005, 04:35 PM
We need as many to show up to this as possible. I know it is mid week and short notice. This is what the State Land Department is going to use to close areas ie (dust issues).
Jim F.

ARIZONA STATE LAND DEPARTMENT

PUBLIC MEETING NOTICE
MAY 17, 2005, 1:30 P.M.
BASEMENT AUDITORIUM
1616 WEST ADAMS
PHOENIX, ARIZONA 85007

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a public meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 1:30 p.m. in the Basement Auditorium at the Arizona State Land Department, 1616 West Adams, Phoenix, Arizona 85007, to receive testimony regarding proposed rule: R12-5-534. Land Closures for Land and Natural Resource Management.

The rule will enable the State Land Commissioner, under A.R.S. 37-132(B)(8), to close certain urban lands that pose a risk to the public i.e., mine shafts, sink holes, earth fissures, contamination and dangerous dust situations. Such closures will provide for land and resource protection to the Trustís natural resources, thus ensuring that the quality, value and usefulness of those lands will be maintained and improved for recreational users while safeguarding the publicís health and safety. The intent of the proposed rule is not to single out a specific recreational use or user, but to ensure the safety and welfare of any permitted user on Trust land and to protect the Trustís natural resources.

Title 2 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in its public meetings. Persons with a disability may request reasonable accommodations such as a sign language interpreter, by contacting Paulett Baker, ADA Coordinator, at (602) 542-2639. Request should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation.

Acting Manager, Planning Section

blooddrive
05-10-2005, 08:42 AM
They really must not want to schedule those meetings at a time where people can attend :(.

jeepsonly
05-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Geez, a Tuesday at 1:30 in the afternoon? I think I'll call Ms Moody to lodge a complaint. That's (602) 542-3671.

azjeepcjman
05-10-2005, 11:40 AM
I've got a doctors appointment that afternoon that I'm going to reschedule so I can be at the meeting. It really is an inconvenient time for most people. I suppose they don't want the public they are supposed to serve to actually attend.....

Hackle
05-10-2005, 03:40 PM
That is the main point. Set it at a time most of us can not attend. I suggest we surprise them and show up in force. Wear Red.
Jim F.

RickBeer
05-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Trying to get the afternoon off so I can attend

blackeyedt
05-11-2005, 05:51 AM
I'll be there... JuryDuty all day Monday before... I should be primed for civic duty and all that stuff by Tuesday !! Anyone wanna meet for lunch as a group just prior somewhere close downtown ?? Just a thought, or is everyone just rushing to get there by start time?

I agree we need to hammer this one when they don't think we will, time-wise...

Bob J

Linda
05-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Just remember it still has to do with urban land. Most likely the sites are already identified. Chances are they are ones that have already been closed.

jeepsonly
05-11-2005, 10:42 AM
I never did get a call back from Lillian Moodey but the woman who answered the phone said the times will always be during the day during the week and that's why they give us plenty of notice so we can take off or take a long lunch to attend.

Meanwhile the time is most convenient for retirees and unemployed :D

jeepsonly
05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Lillian Moody just called me and suggested she'd consider having a meeting in the future in the evening or in the late afternoon to accomodate those who can't make it during the day. She said the State Land department is just trying to protect OHV users and the land by shutting down sections that are considered dangerous or vulnerable. I mentioned our concern that shutting down land will only concentrate OHV recreationists in smaller and smaller areas where the impact will be increasingly noticeable. She said that the State has no responsibility to keep any of the land open because it's not public land. Plus they only have 4 enforcement personnel. The call was very cordial and professional. Ms. Moody mentioned that the State Land Department has no time to become radical with their environmental policies but closing land is the best and easiest way for them to protect it from those OHV's that don't practice responsible recreation. BTW, she's an ex-Sierra Club member (I am too so that's not automatically an indication someone is an extremist).

So those of you going to the meeting - there is some more info for you. Good luck. Sorry I can't make it.

Oh, one more thing - she did mention we have an opportunity to send written comments and those will be considered and may be read at the meeting.

Hackle
05-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Just remember it still has to do with urban land. Most likely the sites are already identified. Chances are they are ones that have already been closed.

Linda, They state Urban but are talking about Table Mesa Road. That to me is no where near Urban They may not show this area on the web site but it has been under discusion in several meetings due to dust.

jeepsonly
05-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Lillian just called me to say that the meeting tomorrow at 1:30 has been cancelled. Apparently the law requires a 30 day notification of the meeting and their notice in the AZ Admin Register was delayed a week. The date of the new meeting is TBD.