PDA

View Full Version : T5 troubles...again, At least now I have an idea why.

Kev
03-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Kv here. Owner of a 1985 CJ7 with the 258/6 tied to a T-5/Dana 300. Back when I hooked up with you folks in mid 2010, I had an issue with my T-5 blowing up the main gear cluster. After a disastrous out-of-state exchange for a re-man'd unit, I went local to Sun Trans in Peoria, and got a good rebuild. I've put about 25k miles on it since July '11, most of which came on out-of-state trips. After returning from CA three weeks back, the critter was making what sounded like bearing noise, not too loud, and quieting as I used the clutch. Last night upon returning from Tucson the gearbox was making much more noise and I realized that I was about to blow the trans again. Got it home without destroying it, anyway. I have since gotten some info that makes me suspect that the problem all along has been the oversize tires; I'm running 12.5x15x32s on the critter. A pal of mine talked to somebody at 5speeds.com - he heard from them that, the T5 being a light-duty trans, it wasn't meant to handle the torque involved to turn the bigger tires. Makes sense to me. Is there a transmission conversion configuration(that isn't so off-the-wall unique that nobody else runs it) that can be used in my CJ, or should I switch out the tire/wheel config for something a T5 can handle? (In which case, what would be the right tire size?) I'm not into rock crawling, but I am a hunter and the CJ has taken me into some rough country. That being said, I am looking for advice. I just want to get it right this time. I love turning a wrench, but not when I'm doing the same thing time and again...

51willys
03-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Ax-15 is a good swap. Gets you overdrive and the adapter is only $115 from AA

Kev
03-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the input. Is that an automatic or a manual? Just curious.

Kev
03-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Never mind, I got smarter and looked it up...derpderp lol

TreeKiller
03-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Member Mongooseman (Brent) went through the same ordeal with the T5 in his CJ last year. It was a nightmare from what I remember him telling me. He ended up swapping in the automatic out of a Chevy Suburban, which required other mods besides just the tranny swap itself. If you're interested in that, might want to PM Mongooseman with questions. No idea how much it ended up costing him though...

Scott

Kev
03-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Looks like I'm going to go the AX-15 route. Is there a source in town for that trans and an adapting ring for my transfer case? I've already located a source in Utah, but if I can spend my money locally...

mtndew1
03-13-2014, 05:56 PM
If decide to go automatic I have an "amc" bolt pattern th400 case in great shape. You would just need to find the guts from any th400. You would also need an adapter for the Dana 300.

51willys
03-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Th400 is an expensive adapter for D300. AMC 4X4 salvage is a good place, 59th and northern. My buddy and I sourced some donor trannies off craigslist and had them rebuilt. Advance adapters has the adapter ring, $115. Dunno who's a local dealer though.

TreeKiller
03-14-2014, 09:45 AM
Th400 is an expensive adapter for D300. AMC 4X4 salvage is a good place, 59th and northern. My buddy and I sourced some donor trannies off craigslist and had them rebuilt. Advance adapters has the adapter ring, $115. Dunno who's a local dealer though.

You can order directly from advance adapters. Also check with Barry or Simon at 4 Wheelers Supply.

Experienced web wheeler

Kev
08-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Howdy folks, after chasing around and doing some more research, I went with a new AX15/adapter package for the old girl. Installed by me and my little brother Lorenzo over a weekend, and after a little delay getting the driveshafts modified for the new installation, back on the road. Very pleased with the result - much quieter running through all gears and particularly at highway speeds.