PDA

View Full Version : HD Street Glide

ZJROCKRIG
11-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Looking at these pretty hard. Thought I wanted to go with a CVO Breakout for a solo town and back cruiser, but decided I will be doing more long day trip riding with a passenger now than I originally planned on, and I like the Street Glide. Been playing with the build option on the HD site. Heated seats on a bike, NICE!!!! :fashizzle:

So when in Arizona, what Harley dealer between AJ, Phoenix, Chandler and Tempe do you recommend?

Also, why does it seem that HD just now for 2014, is slowly catching up with the times? An example that stands out to me is their audio in the bikes. Anything pre-'14 looks like an old single din radio, and now they finally have double din styles with full screen navigation and bluetooth. What's up with that?:confused:

bigt7872
11-20-2013, 10:32 PM
In mesa go to Chester's. In apache junction go to superstion harley. I would recommend staying away from Chandler, not very good staff there.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Tortured Metal
11-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Superstition HD in AJ.

hubcap
11-20-2013, 11:44 PM
Check out some of the victory stuff. This is the 8 Ball. 106" twin

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/bagger/cross-country-8-ball/photos

OTR-93YJ
11-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Buddy Stubs.

Harley has always been behind the times. It's just a name. If you're looking for precision engineering and top of the line options you'r gonna have to buy a Jap.

Yes, I ride a jap but I'm saving for a harley.................LOL!

wj_brillo
11-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Yeah, Chester's I think has the larger selection. I'm assuming they spent some time riding out their sales, and with Victory picking up it's game it was time for a "re-brand". HD normally doesn't make many changes to their touring bikes because they sell so well on their own already. Assuming they saw sales drop so they made a "big deal" about it. Also introducing bikes to a younger generation because I think they've noticed the demographic changes and that guys who buy Harleys traditionally ride the crap out of them. Plus the used market is pretty strong right now so in order to entice new sales, they stepped it up a bit.

You'll like a street glide, i think they've done quite a bit on handling in the last few years. Ask Tom Winter how well the old electra glides stop lol. I would like to see a review of the Victory vs. Street Glide though....

OTR-93YJ
11-21-2013, 12:06 PM
The Street Glide would be my first choice. Road king second and road glide would be third (stationary headlights don't bother me as much as there being two of them).

The most important thing is getting away from the soft tail. My old fat *** bottoms out way to much on the soft tail design.

ZJROCKRIG
11-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Thank you everyone for the responses!

I stopped by the local dealer, and they had 5 of them! And guess what happens when you decide to sit on one? Thats right, they have to bring prybars and their badass mechanics to get you off of it!!!

Well thats not what happened, but I thought if I sat on it any longer I would start making vroom vroom blub blub blub badom badom badom noises with my mouth and possibly leave a wet spot. So I got off.

I pretty much chose the 2014 Vivid Black Street Glide Special they have tucked away in the warehouse. Talked to the Finance guy then I came home with a Screaming Eagle and 1" thick HD accessory book though.

I have not dropped the hammer just yet. But man that bike is sweet! I felt like I could just run away from everything sitting on that ride.

Oh they did have a CVO Breakout and it was chrome, and I mean the tank and everything. Also looked at an CVO Unlimited $40K!!!

I had to leave before I got in too deep.

OTR-93YJ
11-21-2013, 07:40 PM
My bud bought a 2010 used with only a couple thousand miles on it and he loves it. He says it's made to eat miles. He's been to Pennsylvania three times on it. I've tried to go on trips with him but my bike must not be as comfortable as his. I can't ride 8-10 hours a day without walking like I have......well, you get the picture.

Good luck with the purchase and good luck with the new toy. It's the only thing I like more than the jeep!

aroundincircles
11-21-2013, 08:03 PM
I'm a huge metric cruiser fan. I would recommend the vstar 1300 deluxe.

Sent from my windows dumb phone.

ZJROCKRIG
11-21-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm a huge metric cruiser fan. I would recommend the vstar 1300 deluxe.

Sent from my windows dumb phone.

Thats like suggesting that I buy a Patriot...:laugh2::skull:

ZJROCKRIG
11-21-2013, 10:53 PM
**** man! This HD accessory book is like a Jeep accessory book but better! I did not know you could buy so much stuff! From LED turn signals to Crate race ready engines!

chopped7
11-21-2013, 11:13 PM

http://imageshack.us/a/img715/5669/burnr.jpg

Utah_jeepster
11-22-2013, 12:32 AM
My brother and his wife have four of those toys in his garage. a 98 Heritage a 01 sportie that's been punched and slammed. He is now favoring a 08 streetglide that's decked and polished, his wife is on 10 bobber in basic black. Their always out on them. If your planning long rides make sure to get the electrical hook-ups for the heated vests, gloves and ride pants.

P.S. he's always broke...darn things suck up more money than jeeps do.

aroundincircles
11-22-2013, 06:08 AM

I apologize for having an opinion. I used to ride a bike every day for 7 years. I had no other mode of transportation. I've owned a few bikes including Harleys. My favorites were the Star(Yamaha). They were more reliable, cost less in maintenance, were more comfortable, sounded better (after getting a new set of pipes, a Harley sounds better with stock pipes, but who leaves their pipes stock?), look better, and the only thing they didn't have that was better was a name printed on the side.

ZJROCKRIG
11-22-2013, 09:46 AM
AIC or Karl,

Don't apologize man! I am just giving you crap. You know I have supported you and your Patriot and what you do with it 100% bud.

I am just set on a HD. I don't ride on the road much at all. I am a single track guy with years under my belt. The bike will basicly look pretty in the garage most of the time lol!

I get irritated with the wind blowing on me a the time, I don't like being cold, a and I sure don't plan on it being a DD. Just some day or weekend warrior stuff.

P.S. I sent you a FR.

Thanks man and please never hesitate to comment dude.

aroundincircles
11-22-2013, 10:20 AM
If you plan on leaving the bike in the garage, a HD is perfect!

My next door neighbor had 3 of them, and at any given time at least 2 of them were broken...

I rode 365 days a year, until my 2nd kid was born, and we sold my bike to pay for medical bills. a metric cruiser was perfect, If I get the money again, I have my eyes set on a star stryker...

http://image.motorcyclecruiser.com/f/30023657/1102_crup_03_o+star_stryker_black_beauty+.jpg

throw a windshield and some lower air guards and call it a day. the 1300 deluxe has the same engine which is a really nice ride.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelfeatures/672/0/features.aspx

My last bike had windshield, lower guards, and hand guards:
http://notthemomma.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/DSCN1145.jpg

put 35k miles on it in a year.

Huck
11-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Opinions are like ..... We've all got them. Ride what makes you feel comfortable. I'll put any one of my Harleys up against any metric cruiser for longevity, reliability and for cruising in style. I've got three, including my first bike I built in 1987, my 1962 XL, an ol 1955 Panhead and my RoadKing. Classic looks and sound aside, I've put on more than 150,000 on my scooters and two of them are kick start, magneto powered motors, without batteries, that are over 50 years old. That's longevity in a nutshell. Pull up on your 50+ year old metric cruiser and let's compare.
Enjoy your Street Glide, if that's what you get. I know that I've wrenched on more broken metric bikes, over the years than on my HD's..... I know which bikes hold their value better and just don't go out of style. That's why I've got 3, in the garage... Just can't seem to let some of them go.
From another daily rider.

(For the record, I've owned Honda, Yamaha, BMW and Triumph street machines and a few dirt bikes, back in the day. I still chose to sell off my metric stuff and ride HD)

ZJROCKRIG
11-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Almost, just almost followed me home today. This the second time in a week I sat on it. Took the spouse in to sit on the back and try out different seats (on different bikes) for comparison.

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r534/zjrockrig/IMG_20131123_220204.jpg?t=1385269335

Sephia pic helps blend my way to bright red Moab shirt with this awesome Vivid Black machine in the pic.

Got the options added up today to get a good OTD price. NOT impulse buying....yet....

2014 Street Glide Special. What I love about this bike is the versatility of adding the tour pack to it for long weekend trips and then being able to quick release and remove it all for a quick day or night cruise.

Damn this is a nice bike