PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Cherokee s, I think

anyoldiron
08-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Hi, being relative newby to older Jeeps, I have had an Australian assembled Jeep, build date 1981, sold 1982, 4 door wagon for a few years now and have had no problems with parts just by referring to the year but, I was wondering what the model etc actually is,
originally a v8 of unknown size etc, now a chev 350 on 727 auto, there are a few of this body type about but some seem to have diff housing on the other side to mine.
I have seen no vin code info for Aussie built units on the net, Its mainly trim parts and dash gauges that I am interested in sourcing so it may not matter, then again, anyhow, if you dont ask you dont learn ?
Please feel free to help fill in the gaps in the description below.
Cheers
Dave
1982 Cherokee S ?
350 Chev ex 68 Comaro, 4 bolt mains, manley roller rockers, Fuelly heads, Edelbrock manifold 600 holley, stage 3 towing cam, dual fuel (soon to get rid of LPG), MSD ignition,
727 auto, dana 44 front diff ?, AMC 20 rear diff , ? transfer case ?, Cragar 14 x 8 minilites ?

jkfamily
08-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Don't no much about it but, looks to be in great shape minus the large wildlife killing front bumper, lol. Folks would flip out here seeing someone driving a jeep from the left side of the vehicle, only Postal jeeps have that in the US, very cool.

cmanning9996
08-21-2013, 01:01 AM
If you go to orielly's and ask them to type your vin into their computer. They should be able to tell you year, make, model and original engine size.

azgypsy
08-21-2013, 01:19 AM
hey dave, cjmanning is refering to Orieleys.com Its an auto parts store that wil give a lot of info on line!
Hows the Down under? We got another member over there too. i'll try and dig thru the archives and find his info for ya!
WELCOME to the club with that shiny wagon.
here they are. 2 other members in the downunder area,,,,

alanbarn
aaron22

chopped7
08-21-2013, 01:40 AM
there are a few of this body type about but some seem to have diff housing on the other side to mine.

they switched in 1980. nice lookin' waggy.

Locked & Loaded
08-21-2013, 05:34 AM
Nice Cherokee. Here is a site that will help you. They have alot of info on the Jeep SJs. Great people too.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=full+size+jeep+network&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fsjnetwork.com%2F&ei=IaUUUvqOCeKYyAGqzYHYBA&usg=AFQjCNH1A15qctGir65OIG0M7TJ4CtqivQ&bvm=bv.50952593,d.aWc

Will E
08-21-2013, 09:40 AM
1982 Cherokee S ?
350 Chev ex 68 Comaro, 4 bolt mains, manley roller rockers, Fuelly heads, Edelbrock manifold 600 holley, stage 3 towing cam, dual fuel (soon to get rid of LPG), MSD ignition,
727 auto, dana 44 front diff ?, AMC 20 rear diff , ? transfer case ?, Cragar 14 x 8 minilites ?

That is an interesting engine/transmission, it must have some kind of adapter plate?

It's hard to know the transfer case. You appear to have locking hubs so if it is the stock case it is most likely the NP208. The rear axle, if the cover is nice and smooth and round, is an AMC 20.

The front axle should be a dana 44. Most likely driver drop. Oh, wait, for you it's passenger drop. Wow, that could get confusing... ;)

Welcome!

OlneyJeeps
08-21-2013, 12:40 PM
If orig motor was v8 (some had 258 6cyl), it was a 360
Transmission was 727 (IMPORTANT: check fluid idling in NEUTRAL... pump bypass in park yields 3-4 qt higher than actual)
Transfercase was one of several New Process (219, 229, etc) there is tag in center of case
Different "models" (ie "S" "cherokee chief" "golden eagle" etc) were sticker / option packages. From the ones I have owned, "S" would be on emblem on rear pillar... means nothing

That is an interesting engine/transmission, it must have some kind of adapter plate?

It's hard to know the transfer case. You appear to have locking hubs so if it is the stock case it is most likely the NP208. The rear axle, if the cover is nice and smooth and round, is an AMC 20.

The front axle should be a dana 44. Most likely driver drop. Oh, wait, for you it's passenger drop. Wow, that could get confusing... ;)

Welcome!

Though the front should be a D44, though the conversion was simple (Warn 9790, or 20990 like yours has), after '76 they never (even the ones with d20's in the 70's) came with locking hubs (to the best of my knowledge, but I was wrong once before:pinch:)

Will E
08-21-2013, 05:00 PM
I believe your thoughts on locking hubs is not completly accurate. My 81 waggy had a np208 and locking (manual) hubs. The 82 did not but it originally had a full time TC (np219), I swapped it out for the 208. At some point in time they came out with the vacuum actuated locking hubs but I can't tell you what year.

OlneyJeeps
08-22-2013, 09:09 AM
I believe your thoughts on locking hubs is not completly accurate. My 81 waggy had a np208 and locking (manual) hubs. The 82 did not but it originally had a full time TC (np219), I swapped it out for the 208. At some point in time they came out with the vacuum actuated locking hubs but I can't tell you what year.

the question is: did you buy it new (with locking hubs)? To the best of my knowledge (which includes owning over 70Jeeps, 4 years working at 4Wheeler's Supply), Jeep never produced a locking hub for the post 76 (internal hub) D44, even on the Cherokee/Wagoneer/Jseries that came with part time D20 tcase. I'm thinking I did see some locking hubs in the parts books, but they were references to Warn hubs (option?). Aftermarket (primarily Warn) locking hubs were widely available and commonly accessorized on. 81 or 82 Jeep started using the vac disconnect, but that was at the differential... the same design was later used on XJs and YJs, but the PITA factor of vacuum lines breaking offset the miniscule increase in MPG, so it was discontinued.

Will E
08-22-2013, 11:56 AM
I did get it from the original owner (father in law) and am pretty sure he did not swap out the hubs.

Perhaps I am using the wrong terms? ALso, I don't know what you mean by the post 1976 internal hub. What's the difference between internal and external hub? I will go do some poking around.

All of my experience is with the full size jeeps. (FSJ)

What I am referring to is the manual locking hubs where you get out and turn hub to enguage and disenguage. I do know starting around 83 (FSJ) there were some years where the hub was locked via a vacuum. And with the 219/229 transfer cases (FSJ) I believe the hubs were 'always locked'. My 219 had an assembly that kept the hub locked all of the time, there was no vacuum and the hub just had a cap on the end. It was simple to replace it with a locking assembly when I converted to the 208. But I believe the 208 on the FSJ was available till around 1987 and as far as I know these all came with manual locking hubs.

OlneyJeeps
08-22-2013, 07:38 PM
I did get it from the original owner (father in law) and am pretty sure he did not swap out the hubs.

Perhaps I am using the wrong terms? ALso, I don't know what you mean by the post 1976 internal hub. What's the difference between internal and external hub? I will go do some poking around.

All of my experience is with the full size jeeps. (FSJ)

What I am referring to is the manual locking hubs where you get out and turn hub to enguage and disenguage. I do know starting around 83 (FSJ) there were some years where the hub was locked via a vacuum. And with the 219/229 transfer cases (FSJ) I believe the hubs were 'always locked'. My 219 had an assembly that kept the hub locked all of the time, there was no vacuum and the hub just had a cap on the end. It was simple to replace it with a locking assembly when I converted to the 208. But I believe the 208 on the FSJ was available till around 1987 and as far as I know these all came with manual locking hubs.

pre 76 had 6 bolts holding the locking hub to the drive hub
post 76 had assembly that slid inside hub
vac assembly was on differential, not hub
all had drive flange (splined inside and out) so was full lock at drive hub