PDA

View Full Version : Sedona permits in effect 3/28/05

Sedona Jeep School
03-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Although it is expected that an immediate lawsuit and injunction will be filed by (at least) one of the big outfitters, as of March 28, the Sedona area U.S. Forest Service intends to begin enforcing permit requirements for commercial outfitter/guides.

The Forest Service called a meeting this morning that outlined a plan to begin enforcing permit requirements, which actually went into effect August 12, 2004, but due to administrative processes, had been left alone until now. Temporary permits will be issued under certain restrictions until the NEPA process is completed and a normal operating permit system established.

It may be of interest to the club that the Forest Service indicated plans to quantifiably restrict all access (commercial and public) on several highly popular Sedona trails in the near future.

Happy trails.

skruize
03-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Nena,

I'm sad to see the end of an era. :( I can't count how many times I've enjoyed a relaxing afternoon on any of a number of the trails that used to be open to the public. It brought me great pleasure to relax among the scenic red rocks in the comfort of my own Jeep.

Sedona Jeep School
03-15-2005, 06:24 AM
Scott,

Currently, no public access is being restricted, other than normal weather-related closures. It is the commercial operators only who will be affected March 28. However, this is a precursor to public access restrictions (not necessarily outright closures) which we will be seeing in the areas which are of special high traffic concern--shall I name names? Broken Arrow, Soldier Pass, Oak Creek Homestead/Cliffhanger, Diamondback/Pipeline/Greasy Spoon...

There will be two more public comment periods during this process, within the next 6 - 8 months. I will keep everyone posted.

skruize
03-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Nena,

I have another question to ask you. As you may or may not know, street legal ATV's with insurance can legally run just about any trail or forest road that Jeeps can. Do you know if there are any specific restrictions on Sedona trails that would disallow an insured, street legal 4x4 ATV?

Thanks.

1BLKJP
03-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Nena, Make sure to keep us informed on when everything is playing out up there. I am sure there are several of us that will make the trek up there for meetings or whatever is needed. I don't really run many of the trails up there any more, but I enjoy the right to do so if I desire.

ScoobyDoo
03-15-2005, 04:57 PM
First the will close the trails for commercial use, then for public use.
divide and conquer.
Arnt you glad all these california transplants moved to Sedona, now they can screw it up too. :eek:

Sedona Jeep School
03-20-2005, 07:09 AM
Nena,

I have another question to ask you. As you may or may not know, street legal ATV's with insurance can legally run just about any trail or forest road that Jeeps can. Do you know if there are any specific restrictions on Sedona trails that would disallow an insured, street legal 4x4 ATV?

Thanks.
Scott,

Currently, they make no differentiation between Jeep and ATV, but they are beginning to pose width restrcitions, which will affect the Hummers, and eventually Jeep before ATV's. BUT I have heard rumblings about restricting ATV's on the point of mufflers (?). There is a Forest Rule in the works on the national level with regard to designated roadways which may interest you, as it seems to indicate an increased management of TYPES of vehicles.

Find info about it here:
http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/