PDA

View Full Version : Martinez Canyon

Lifes A Jeep
02-24-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm considering running Martinez Canyon this weekend. Does anyone have any thoughts or concerns on why not to head out there? With all the rain we've had, I'm concerned the trail may be inaccessible or too dangerous.

k7mto
02-24-2005, 11:42 AM
I received some pics from someone who went up there the day after some of the heavy rains about 2 weeks ago. They only got as far as the old mill. At the time, water was still running pretty good in the washes. It had washed out some of the bypass areas around the washes above the cabins and did some rearranging of the boulders. No telling what the canyon/switchbacks above the mill are like, but from the pictures it appears the rain only increased the trails difficulty level. I can't wait to get up there and run it myself, but I'm already engaged this weekend.

Maybe others here have been up there recently and can provide first hand descriptions.

jzpapa
02-24-2005, 08:00 PM
I too, am concerned with the box canyon trail. It doesn't look like my lifted Liberty would make thru the Canyon now. Looks like alot of people will be going there for the clean-up March 5th. Maybe they will flatten out some of the rough edges?

Bill

XJ Un-Limited
02-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Box Canyon shouldn't be problem, it's a relatively easy trail most stock vehicles can do. As far a the clean up, that's for trash, unstacking rocks and what not. Not so much for making a trail easier to traverse, except for the eyes. I'm actually looking forward to what the rains have done to change the trails, and hopefully offer new challenges.

k7mto
02-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Typically, Box Canyon is one of the easiest trails in the area, thanks in part to those who drive through it and "pave" it by stacking rocks to get their vehicles through. Before the rains, I could drive my stock ZJ through it, no problem.

If anything, we hope anyone who does a 'cleanup' of Box Canyon will unstack any ramps that the floods did not disassemble. The idea is not to make the trail suit your vehicle, but vice-versa. I haven't been through Box Canyon since the rains, but unless the floods did some major rearranging, you could likely get through in your Libby easily. Just don't go alone and if you need to stack a 'few' rocks to get over an obstacle, please unstack them before you continue along the trail so the next guy who comes through (looking for a challenge) doesn't find himself driving over a "paved" road.

rvisokey
02-25-2005, 07:19 PM
I was thinking of running Martinez on Saturday. Hate to drive alone! If your still interested... let me know and we can find a time to meet up? I sent you a PM with my #

I just can't seem to make the 9:00am runs on Saturday's!!!!

Lifes A Jeep
02-28-2005, 03:24 PM
A few of us headed out to Martinez Canyon on Sunday. Out goal was to make the loop and be back before dark. We started off through Box Canyon. It was different with water flowing through.

As we approached the entrance to Martinez Canyon, we came to the point where the trail has washed away. Our group went through the washout and proceeded to the cabin. The way to the cabin takes you through a minor rock garden that requires some patience and skill. We took a short lunch at the cabin. The day was flying by.

As we started for the mill we discovered the trail is completely washed away. You have to go through the creek bed. The creek bed is fairly tame until you get within an eye's view of the mill. From there, it's a rock and boulder field. We had to take our time and spot each of us through. It was very challenging. We got to the mill late in the day and decided to attempt the canyon another day. We felt like it was an accomplishment just getting that far.

Just getting to the mill took a major portion of the day. The rains have dramatically changed the trail. We were curious how the rest of Martinez Canyon would be after the rains. I'm hoping to head back up there with more time. Here's a link to my pics.

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=10jpfpv9.auyjky85&x=0&y=-wpnbp3
Just click 'View Photos' to see them. You don't need to sign in.