PDA

View Full Version : "A date which will live in infamy."

USAFC5Aircrew
12-07-2012, 06:37 AM
Dec 7, 1941 - Sunday morning - 0749 Hawaii time - 72 years ago today - 48 states at that time.

Good Morning Everyone,

I just want to take a moment and thank the Pearl Harbor Survivors and their families for their service and sacrifice. What they went through was a hell on earth that 99% of us can never imagine.

I had the honor of being at Pearl Harbor 2 years ago and got to talk to and shake the hands of a few of the survivors, there are not a lot of them left.

The US Navy's salvage operations lasted for years after the attack recovering most of the ships that were sank during the attack ... those accomplishments are in itself amazing.

Thank you to all of you that have, are, and will serve in this great countries defense ... your sacrifices will not go unremembered.

bustingrocks
12-07-2012, 08:38 AM
I would like to first echo your sentiments, and to secondly thank you for your service.

Clay
12-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Horrible day indeed. Thank you for the reminder.

NVRSTUKTJ
12-07-2012, 01:30 PM
It was a proud moment for me 31 years ago lowering the flag during the retreat ceremony on the 40th anniversary of the attack on Hickam AB......plus, it was the actual flag that was flying over Hickam at the time of the attack......

USAFC5Aircrew
12-07-2012, 01:59 PM
It was a proud moment for me 31 years ago lowering the flag during the retreat ceremony on the 40th anniversary of the attack on Hickam AB......plus, it was the actual flag that was flying over Hickam at the time of the attack......

I am a huge history buff and just to have that flag in your hands and not behind glass ... a little lump in my throat.

sjkimmel99
12-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Here are a few pictures of the salvage work from http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/events/wwii-pac/pearlhbr/ph-salv.htm

Truly an amazing effort.

(below)
USS West Virginia (BB-48)

View of her port side amidships, seen from the floor of Drydock Number One at the Pearl Harbor Navy Yard, in June 1942, as patches were being removed. Note the massive damage to hull plating inflicted by several Japanese Type 91 torpedoes that struck this area during the 7 December 1941 air raid. The battleship's side armor belt, at the top of the hole, is seriously distorted.
View looks aft, with a patch still in place at the far end of the damage area.

The USS West Virginia was repaired and went on to participate in shore bombardment during the re-capture of the Philippines, ship-to-ship engagement with Japanese battleships during the Battle of the Leyte Gulf(with Perl Harbor survivors USS Maryland, California, Tennessee and Pennsylvania,) shore bombardment at Iwo Jima, shore bombardment during the battle for Okinawa and was one of the ships present on 2 September 1945 for the Japanese surrender ceremony in Tokyo Bay.

(below)
One that did not leave Perl Harbor.

Members of the diving crew emerge from water-filled compartments of the sunken battleship Arizona (BB-39), at Pearl Harbor, 25 May 1943. They are removing elements of the ships armament and other items for reuse.
Arizona had been sunk in the 7 December 1941 Japanese air raid. Her hull was left where she sank, after removal of most of her superstructure and salvage of her after 14" gun turrets and other guns.

mingoglia
12-07-2012, 08:55 PM
My grandfather was a Pearl Harbor survivor.... he's been gone for many years now though. Dec 7th was always a big day in my family growing up.

USAFC5Aircrew
12-08-2012, 05:39 AM
sjkimmel99 - Thanks for shareing ... and mingoglia - a special thank you to you and your family.

katvans
12-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Thank you for this thread and for your service.

How sad there are so few comments on this thread as Pearl Harbor is slowly forgotten. I always looked forward to watching the war movies on Dec 7th as a way to remember what actually happened where I stood when I visited Pearl Harbor and this year there were practically none.

God bless all who gave the ultimate.

ob1jeeper
12-09-2012, 08:39 AM
A visit to the Arizona is a VERY sobering moment... Not a dry eye on the boat coming back... Still gives me chills ...

Thanks to all who serve or have served...;)

NVRSTUKTJ
12-12-2012, 07:13 AM
I am a huge history buff and just to have that flag in your hands and not behind glass ... a little lump in my throat.

when I left HI, it WAS behind glass again in a display in the PACAF HQ foyer.......

katvans
12-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Juat wanted to bring this thread up again cause it looks like most everyone has forgotten all about it. Very sad.

Thanks to everyone who gave what they could and to those who gave everything. Never forget.

sjkimmel99
12-07-2014, 09:04 PM
http://104e.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/pearl-harbor-hawaii-3.jpg

Clay
12-08-2014, 04:00 PM
I went to see the Memorial in October. Very sobering experience.