PDA

View Full Version : Computer Geeks, need help

Wind_Danzer
02-12-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm so frustrated. I have a Systemax computer 1.7 GIG 700+ of RAM and now two hard drives, 120 and a 60 (that came with the computer a few years ago).

My computer started acting up recently in the last few months and after someone came over today for about an hour looking at it saying there was nothing he could do, I ended up getting the new hard drive, transferring stuff to it and then going back to the original system restore to the factory settings.

At first it was fine but now, and I think most of it started after SP2 was installed, it is now back to its old self. The main reason I wanted to do this was to fix my burner issue and also fix some sound issues. I never got a chance to test the burner issue but the sounds were working for a while and now they have stopped.

The worst part about this is that the "backup" drive that was originally on my "C" drive is now gone, basically taking the windows back up with it so now I can't fix any issues or wipe clean and start over.

Any one have any ideas??? :( :mad: I so just want to throw this thing threw a wall right now and just get a new one. :(

Sigh...

Anyone that can fix it without me losing my files, will get a buddy pass to fly anywhere Mesa does for free (excluding Canada or Mexico ~ there are minimal fees for taxes). I'm serious, I need this ****ing thing up and running.

jeepin_in_az
02-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Sounds like SP2 didn't like your computer, and did not complete correctly leaving it corrupted... Try redoing the system restore, and do not do the SP2 upgrade using Windows Update, download it directly to your hard drive then install it. Also, your best bet is to format the hard drive first, then do the system restore. If you are trying to do the system restore and trying to save the files, it most likely bombed there too.

Unplug the second hard drive that you backuped too so you don't loose information.

Wind_Danzer
02-13-2005, 08:07 AM
That's part of the problem, I can't even restore it now because the computer cannot locate the backup files that were on the computer. :(

I get "System backup partition not found" when opening up my Tech in a Box and when I click on restore original factory setup I get "The factory backup of this system is missing or has been deleted. You must preform a user backup restore or use your System Restore Driver CD's to return this computer to a working condition".

I've tried using both the Recovery CD's and the Driver CD and it's not working and I can't use a user backup cause I didn't not do one right after I reinstalled it the first time.