PDA

View Full Version : 1-30-05 harquahala peak & mines

bgwhtjp33
01-31-2005, 10:13 PM
My son (Shane) and I took a trip to the observatory on top of Harqu. Peak, we went by ourselves which really isn't the smartest thing to do,
but everything went great. Uneventful trip up and back down but it is
very high(3800 ft. above trail head) and steep. Can't go in the observatory,
it's fenced. Kick ***** view from the top, when we weren't in the clouds.

After we came back down we went to explore some of the trails in the surounding area. Came across a mine that is about 400-500 ft. square, goes
straight down 50-60 ft. then 10-12 shafts going in diffrent directions and
almost all of them connect to each other. Check the pics.Peak & mines (groups.msn.com/bgwhtjp33/shoebox.msnw)

Wind_Danzer
01-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Pretty neat pics. Where were these surrounding trails? Just off Eagle Eye Rd. or was there other dirt roads off of the Harq. Peak road?

I need to get out there soon. I'm glad you had fun and I love the first pic with the cloud and it's shadow. :)

bgwhtjp33
02-01-2005, 05:07 PM
The trails are off of Eagle Eye Rd. The road to the mine was very easy
never had to use 4wd. There are lots of mines in area, some I will not go in
because of rotting timber.

Stu Olson
02-01-2005, 08:38 PM
About 5 years ago, the road to the top was still fun to drive and there were spots were 4WD in a stock or near stock vehicle were needed. The last time I was there (several years ago), I came around the corner and found they had poured cement on the trail. That was the last straw....the out houses and kiosks at the bottom of the trail was bad enough.....but to pave the road was simply too much....that and the parking lot they installed at the top of the mountain.

That use to be a great trail to take people who had never been to AZ and had never been 4 wheelin'. Too bad our tax money was used to ruin it.

T.C.'S TOY
02-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Thats True Stu And I Could Not Agree With You More But Theres No Sence In Grieving Over It As It Will Send You To An Early Grave Wishing It Were Different, By The Way Need To Ask You A Question Who's Got The Better Trails You've Done Them Both Rubicon Or Moab ?......see You In May At Moab ........t.c. Campbell.....t.c.'s Toy