PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Block, Missing 7-25-12 near Show Low Arizona around 4pm.

timgtndrty
07-31-2012, 05:14 AM
******NEW MEETING AREA FOR SATURDAY!!!!!!!*********
Saturday Staging Area with Commander Robert Cooper.
8:00am
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Show Low AZ
1401 W Deuce of Clubs Ave
North East Corner of Hwy 60 and Hwy 260

Updated to Site 08-02-12 5:30amUpdated to Site 08-02-12 11:30am

Sorry about the delayed update. So much going on today with new leads last night.

A white wolf was spotted by a hunter between McNary and Vernon last Saturday morning. He knew nothing of the missing person case, and by accident when telling the story of this rare sighting to some kids at a birthday party was overhead by someone who was aware. She immediately made the connection and notified us. New information received last night identifies a possible reason for Jeff to go to the Show Low area to collect on a debt. I do not have the exact location to where Jeff might have been heading, but we are working on that. All I know is that it would have been on his way back from Vernon. I sent the hunter Blue’s picture and talked to him on the phone. He said he had no tracking collar, seemed unafraid of him, and he was 90% sure it was Blue.
Lots of logging activity in the area right now so SSR plans to drive/hike in and interview loggers to see if they remember seeing the vehicle or dog.
SSR is manning a ground search up from AJ to town limits of Globe checking over roadways on both signs for signs of vehicle. There are other people local to the area who are drive the trails and roads to help out. Animal sighting was between McNary and Vernon. He originally traveled on 224 road from McNary towards Vernon and was only a few miles from Vernon on 3 road headed towards 5 road when he saw the white animal he described as a wolf.
SSR contacted their pilot who has made himself available today (was previously unavailable until tomorrow). He will fly the entire corridor up 60 from Globe to Vernon, do a thorough search over the Vernon area where white animal was spotted, then fly the other side of 60 on his way back.
I do not want all efforts to be concentrated on this new lead, but anyone in that area please concentrate your efforts in those areas. Last week there was lots of water going on up there, easy for Jeff’s 2-wheel drive to get stuck, or slide off road.
Show Low PD have been notified along with Apache County Sheriff.
I’ll continue updating as time permits and new information is gathered. We are concentrating our efforts on that area now, but also fully searching from Globe to the area. While the traffic cams in Globe and Show Low show no record of Jeff’s license plate, he would have gone untraced if he was riding with his tailgate down which he sometimes did to save fuel.
Again, 1000 times over, the success of this mission has been because of every one of you doing what you can to help. The response has been incredible. We will never forget any of you.

Updated to Site 08-01-12 8:30pm

Sorry about the infrequent updates guys. We continue to get new leads, which of course require hours of phone, email and internet search time. Here is what I know, then signing off till early morning.

Superstition Search and Rescue (SSR), headed by Robert Cooper, continue to pour hours of time, money and equipment into the efforts to find my brother. Thank you Robert and Crew. Drinks on me when I get back to Arizona until the bar closes.
Have another volunteer pilot (David). The world is full of incredibly kind and generous people. All flights are being made at the cost of fuel only by this pilot and the SSR group as well. Again I am brought to tears by the generosity of total strangers. Or maybe it’s because I miss my brother so much. No, it’s both.
The Pinal Cnty Sheriff has contact with Show Low cell phone company that claims Jeff’s last call went thru their system. Have not heard back, but this could help narrow the search. Their territory stretches as far west as Payson.
We have decided not to use David’s generous offer for his plane tomorrow due to the aircraft type, but will instead concentrate our efforts (SSR efforts that is) with a thorough ground search of the area between Apache Junction and Globe.
We will do another aerial chopper search on Friday of the same area, and the road to Show Low as well.
Please consider donating funds to the Volunteers at the Superstition Search and Rescue team. What a great team; a service the State of Arizona is fortunate to have.
And if I could, I would buy every one of a round for your efforts. Thank you ever so much. We will not quit; we will find Jeff. He is surviving wherever he is.
Lastly, discovered a new way to lose weight. But don’t worry Mom, I’m taking care of myself as best I can.

Updated to Site 08-01-12 3:30pm

- Team 1 chopper of S&R searched entire area from Payson to Show Low, concentrating on the first 20 mile stretch as well. Re-fueled and went back for more intense search of the area we suspected he might be going. They continued search below Rim then followed 87 to lake turnoff where team two was. Spoke to chopper crew, said visibility is excellent, barely needs glasses; good view of area so Jeff’s truck should pop out if out there.
- Team Two searched Usery Pass to Hwy 87
- Team of experts from three different sources trying to trace where Jeff’s last call from (for a week now) with no success. The fourth expert, my Sister Nancy, has located a carrier out of Show Low where the call came through and we are following up on that which may reveal the area we need to concentrate on. Pinal County sheriff office following up on that as I type. Hopefully we get a clue so we can better search the right area.
Del (and someone else I think) reported Star Valley had camera systems. I called and they have no record of Jeff’s truck passing thru that town, or any other town on their system. ANd Globe is on their system. So if this information is correct, Jeff never drove east of the Christopher Creek area (where Star Valley is) nor did he drive through Globe on his way to Show Low. This is critical information. Thanks Del.

Updated Search Map!!

Updated to Site 08-01-12 9:00am

GREAT NEWS! Robert from Superstition Search & Rescue called. He has a chopper pilot lined up to fly today and friday if need be. He has two spotters being picked up as we speak and they should be at the search area before 11am. Weather permitting they will search as long as needed. Starting with the area I marked on the latest map and extending down Hwy 260 if necessary.
Also have friend attempting to do what Pinal Sheriff could not, triangulate the cell phone position of last call based on ESN number. If successful, we will have a better idea of where to start searching and may redirect the search crew accordingly.
Will execute small plane search along all highways tomorrow if today is unsuccessful. Once we find his vehicle, the county has promised to release full blow search and rescue efforts.

This Map has the GPS coordinates for the trail head he like to take his dog to.

Updated to Site 07-31-12 11:30am

NEW LEAD: Jeff was walking his dog with a friend Tuesday night, said he was sad he couldn’t take Blue with him. Said “maybe I’ll just take Blue up on the Rim and let him run free one last time before I leave him for 5 days”. The RIM is the Mogollon Rim halfway between Payson and Show Low, and just as his last phone call stated, is directly West of Show Low. So we have a new search area. I have contacted Gila County sheriff’s office and they are sending patrol cars out to check the roads and trials for his truck. They cannot instigate an aerial search unless they find the vehicle and know where to search.
I beseech anyone in the area to please help in our search. I want to start with an aerial fly of the highway between Payson and the Rim. It is very wooded and remote so not sure if it will be revealing but worth a try. DPS has helicopters (anyone know someone in that department?). Anyone else out there with the Civil Air Patrol, private pilots, etc.? I am calling around but we are so time critical here I am reaching out for all the help I can get.

-- please share/cross post --

Posting this up for some friends... move to proper location or change priority as needed. Please feel free to PM me here, or send me a text/call four 8 oh, two 6 nine, seven 5 oh six, with any information.

45603 45602 45604

Here is a link to the site where all of the search efforts coordination and Q/A is http://jeffblockismissing.wordpress.com/

There hasn't been any activity on any of his bank accounts or credit cards since 7-18.

Jeff Block, Missing 7-25-12 near Show Low Arizona around 4pm. Had large white male wolf mix dog with blue eyes named Blue with him at the time. Vehicle 2005 White Dodge Ram SLT; Arizona Plate 975-SNR

58 year old, Jeffrey Block, has been missing, under strange circumstances, since late Wednesday afternoon, July 25th. His last known location was somewhere west of Show Low, AZ. He was traveling to Show Low from Apache Junction in a white 2005 Dodge Ram SLT pickup truck, license number 975-SNR, along with his dog, a large white wolf-mix with blue eyes, named Blue.

Jeff was planning a trip to Colorado early the following morning with his father, who lives in Phoenix. Jeff phoned his father at 3:00 pm to tell him that he was on his way to Show Low and would not be able to meet him at 5:00 pm for a planned dinner, and couldn’t be back before 7:00 pm. He said he would call back later because of intermittent cell phone service. He hasn’t been heard from since, and we don’t know the purpose of this sudden, last minute trip.

We filed a missing person report with the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office, who has jurisdiction at Jeff’s home address, late on the evening of the 25th. We have also contacted all local police, jails and hospitals on the route. We are desperate for any leads and would appreciate your help in getting this information to as many people as possible. A photo of Jeff is attached.

If you have any suggestions for how we can spread the word to local residents I would appreciate. Posting photos in post office, billboards, banners, whatever you can suggest would be very much appreciated. Thanks you for taking the time to consider any options we may have.

45603 45602 45604

BKTJ_LJ04
07-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Sad to hear. Hope everything is ok.

BillB
07-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Sad news, hope he returns safe

snksknr94
07-31-2012, 10:54 AM
I'll be up there this weekend doing some hiking and such. I'll be sure to keep an eye out.

My Green Jeep
07-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Posted on FB... hope all is ok with him!

My1stJeep
07-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Prayers sent for his and Blue's safe return.

asjazwa
07-31-2012, 01:41 PM
posted on Facebook as well. thoughts and prayers for the family and everyone involved.

ROKR8TD
07-31-2012, 04:52 PM
I thought that I seen on the news last night that he went to Showlow for a craigslist deal?

Not that I believe that the news always gets their stories right :rolleyes: But it might change the search peramiters.

I hope he's alright and its just a simple case of getting stuck somewhere and not some "foul play".

lancetkenyon
07-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Again, I'll be the dic# here.

How was his personal life/marriage/job/health? Depressed lately (besides not being able to take his dog to CO)? Did he take a firearm with him? Money issues? Drug or alcohol use?

Friends in the area? Have you checked his computer? Is the CL deal true?

asjazwa
07-31-2012, 05:18 PM
arent you always the person that has to ask the hard questions lance!! but they did cover some of that on the site they have set up.

badfish2
07-31-2012, 06:19 PM
I would Not want to be lost with No food in the woods with a Hungry Wolf! Ever see that based on a true story movie, "The Grey"?

jesse wright
07-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Posted on face book as well such sad news hope all is well

YJunk
07-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Again, I'll be the dic# here.

How was his personal life/marriage/job/health? Depressed lately (besides not being able to take his dog to CO)? Did he take a firearm with him? Money issues? Drug or alcohol use?

Friends in the area? Have you checked his computer? Is the CL deal true?

Lance, I know Jeff - our dogs play together out here in AJ. My understanding is he had recently lost his job but when I saw him Monday night (last week) he was in good spirit's. The trip to CO was a fishing trip with his father and was something he was looking forward too - I really don't think suicide is on the table right now. Doesn't really make sense especially given how fanatical he was over Blue. My concern right now is Jeff got injured on the hike - broken leg or something, or worse - met up with a bear out on the trail. I don't know, I'm wrenched up right now, I love that dog and Jeff is a really good guy. Pretty much the opposite of me.

The CL deal was actually misinformation, according to his brother who accessed his account, there was nothing current happening there.

My heart really goes out to his family. So much time has passed, it just can't be good at this point.

The wordpress site is locked down to keep things consolidated, the facebook site is the one being updated.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/409914169065304/

This group always makes a strong showing for people - I know his family will appreciate anything you do.
I know I do.

Blue was the only local dog big enough to play with my girl. He is 85lbs she's 105lbs. I wish there was a way for me to tell her...

RaneMan05TJ
07-31-2012, 09:53 PM
Sorry to hear this. I am in Payson and work right off of 260. I will keep an eye out and spread the word. I know someone that works the main roads for ADOT up here and I will see if he can keep an eye out for the truck. I can't get out to search until Friday but me and my wife were planning a drive for Friday so we will head in the direction on the maps. Hope everything pans out and he is located.

Is anything missing from his house? Camping gear? Firearms? Hidden cash? Equipment? Anything else unusual?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

djui5
07-31-2012, 10:56 PM
Sorry to hear he went missing, and I hope he is found soon. Yjunk it's good to see you're still around.

JLabr2
07-31-2012, 11:12 PM
I really don't think suicide is on the table right now. Doesn't really make sense...

Speaking from experience, suicide rarely makes sense. Having said that, I hope for the best for all.

RaneMan05TJ
07-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Submitted the info to the Payson Roundup

timgtndrty
08-02-2012, 05:38 AM
Based on a suggestion on the FB site, we are looking for Volunteers to run OLD RIM ROAD from PINE to WOODS CANYON LAKE. Please post up or contact me directly if you are available to do this. If no one is available before Saturday, I will be leading this trip myself.

Penney Millett "...here is a suggestion , they say the camera did not get his truck in star valley or globe , but yet show low tower picked up his cell this doesn't make sense if the tower reaches only to west to payson and his fav -spot to run the dog is just past christopher creek , THIS is a long shot but , I don't know why he would go that far to run his dog if he was leaving next day for colorado but , say he drove bee line to payson and kept going through pine to strawberry then to old rim road (300 rd) it would be a long trip across the rim if road is bad bumpy could take 2 hrs to cross he would come out on 260 by woods canyon ,then e to christopher creeek where he likes to take his dog, this is a long shot but would explain how the tower got his call to his dad, there is service in and out across the 300 rd, and would explain how he got to that area with out the cameras getting his plates ."

Thanks to everyone for taking time to follow this.

--TIM
Four 8 oh, Two 6 Nine, Seven 5 oh Six

offroadaz
08-02-2012, 05:59 AM
wondering if any dog food, toys etc were missing from his house? Did he take enough for a multi day trip?

timgtndrty
08-02-2012, 06:12 AM
Good question. I know they checked his house, computer etc, but not sure they checked for that specifically. I'll ask.

wondering if any dog food, toys etc were missing from his house? Did he take enough for a multi day trip?

Digger
08-02-2012, 06:42 AM
If he or his dog isn't located by Friday night, I'm going early Saturday morning with my dogs to help with search. Let me know if there is a certain section of the area you want me to concentrate on.
Would anyone know if used some kind of sound training with his dog, such as a certain whistle tone, dog whistle or clicker? Not to be negative, but if he should have tripped or fallen and broke his ankle while hiking with his dog, and if we can get his dogs attention, I'm sure he would lead back to this gentleman.
Please contact me with any instructions or information that would best help in the search. six02 nine20 2763 Thank you

Digger
08-02-2012, 06:59 AM
I have a few questions:
Does he like to hike the dog along side of creeks?
Given the fact that he was to meet up for a trip, he might have chosen a hiking area closer to shorten driving time, and allow more hiking time with his dog. Any known favorite areas that he would have went to, such as the Draws that might having running water south of the Rim?

timgtndrty
08-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Hey Digger,

Would love to team up with you on Saturday, if possible. I am in Chandler, but planning on heading up 87 to Payson, Pine and across FR300 or 260 depending on today's results. I'll send a message to Yjunk to see if he knows about any dog training Jeff's done with Blue with whistles, etc.

If he or his dog isn't located by Friday night, I'm going early Saturday morning with my dogs to help with search. Let me know if there is a certain section of the area you want me to concentrate on.
Would anyone know if used some kind of sound training with his dog, such as a certain whistle tone, dog whistle or clicker? Not to be negative, but if he should have tripped or fallen and broke his ankle while hiking with his dog, and if we can get his dogs attention, I'm sure he would lead back to this gentleman.
Please contact me with any instructions or information that would best help in the search. six02 nine20 2763 Thank you

timgtndrty
08-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Good thoughts on these questions. I'll ask. That is similar to the logic that led the group to the Christopher Creek area.

I have a few questions:
Does he like to hike the dog along side of creeks?
Given the fact that he was to meet up for a trip, he might have chosen a hiking area closer to shorten driving time, and allow more hiking time with his dog. Any known favorite areas that he would have went to, such as the Draws that might having running water south of the Rim?

timgtndrty
08-02-2012, 02:14 PM
bump

BillB
08-02-2012, 04:46 PM
I just read something on facebook that a hunter found his dog Blue? Is this true?

Digger
08-02-2012, 05:22 PM
I just read something on facebook that a hunter found his dog Blue? Is this true?

Waiting to hear of any truth to this.

Digger
08-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Hey Digger,

Would love to team up with you on Saturday, if possible. I am in Chandler, but planning on heading up 87 to Payson, Pine and across FR300 or 260 depending on today's results. I'll send a message to Yjunk to see if he knows about any dog training Jeff's done with Blue with whistles, etc.

Ok, and I would travel the Beeline Hwy to get to Payson typically, but would gladly go up from AJ to show low if this would be the best route to look. There isn't a person on this planet that cares or understands dogs more than I do, and I am ready to go, can hardly sit still, want to see if I can get off work with half day vacation tomorrow and head up by 3pm to start searching. Camping and cooking some kind of meat might get the dogs attention if we can get a good guess at possible location. Hope some kind of news with a sighting of the dog surfaces. If so, I'm on it.

Digger
08-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Sorry for all the posts, but I'm wondering about 1 more thing. He wasn't going to take his dog on the fishing trip to colorado, so does anyone know what his plans were for boarding the dog,? There wasn't any mention of family besides his father and brother, who would watch the dog? Has anyone checked to see if he had dropped the dog off at planned location? Could be he is closer to town than we think. ?

teddyearp
08-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Well, I can't help much from here in WA, but I do have two friends on Facebook that still live in the area and just messaged them via FB giving the link to the Facebook group page and asking if they know about it and could they help. One is a Captain for Show Low fire and the other was (hopefully still is) a member of the White Mountain Posse who do search and rescue work up there.

And it seems as though there has been a bit of searching along the Vernon-McNary road and contacts made in McNary, I just wanted to point out a couple things I know about that road from my experience. It is a very good road and fairly well maintained, so the likelyhood of him getting stuck in a 2wd truck on it are just about nill. Not only that but most of the side roads off of it are just as good. There _might_ be only one or two side roads where after a good monsoon one could get stuck, but they would still really want to get stuck and then it would probably be very near the main road. I have probably traveled just about every road there is to travel at least once in that area.

Finally, the way I remember the area, foul play _shouldn't_ come into play along that road and/or into Vernon for the most part. Most of any mis-creants live on the north side of US60/SR61 from Vernon.

Good luck and God bless.

snksknr94
08-02-2012, 09:45 PM

Any verification on this info? I'm in Payson right now, headed to Show Low for the weekend. Probably have some time tomorrow to head out and check around a bit.

snksknr94
08-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Any verification on this info? I'm in Payson right now, headed to Show Low for the weekend. Probably have some time tomorrow to head out and check around a bit.

Edit: just saw the update in the original post with the location.

teddyearp
08-02-2012, 10:02 PM

AFAIK, it was just a sighting by a hunter. The hunter was 90% sure that what he saw was the dog Blue.

teddyearp
08-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Also, the Facebook group page mentioned trying to get the local newpaper, the White Mountain Independant to run this story. I subscribe via a non-paid email subscription to this paper. I have yet to see this story in it. Mayhaps, if I can, I will email the editor to see if they can run it tomorrow.

For those of you faster than I, the website is:

http//:www.wmicentral.com

Az.thewolf
08-02-2012, 10:17 PM
My brother is heading up tomorrow to our property off concho. He will be checking that area as well. It is In between showlow and concho.

We did get some good storms this past weekend when I was there.

Digger
08-02-2012, 10:18 PM
I saw a comment on facebook, but I don't follow facebook, and really don't know how to navigate it. Where was the hunter when he saw the dog? The comment didn't have any details.

EDIT: found information. Hunter saw the dog last saturday on Vernon Rd., this is located between Vernon and McNary. I will have to look this up on google map. His brother pleads to not go looking alone.

LittleBurro
08-02-2012, 11:07 PM

Gonna try to head down that way too Digger... I'll check in with you Fri night. You may know this though, if you got hurt out there, seriously, how long would your dogs stay with you?? That dog running around out there is very curious to me. Although I guess it's been days, the dog may have stayed with him for quite a while...

Days like this I wish I didn't have a job. I'd love to pack up and head out there right now

RaneMan05TJ
08-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Available tomorrow and plan on taking a drive from Payson towards Christopher creek or wherever might be a good area to search nearby. Let me know if there is a specific area needed to search or I can meet up with anyone planning to go tomorrow.

asjazwa
08-03-2012, 12:46 AM
really wish i could help out but my rig is down for the count at the moment. but if another pair of eyes is needed for a search or some feet on the street is needed i may be able to assist.

timgtndrty
08-03-2012, 02:13 AM
Working to organize some Jeeps and folks for this Saturday to help with the search efforts for Jeff Block near Show Low. I'll be posting the meeting times and sites as soon as we find out who's in and where they are coming from.

Hoping to get some help getting the word out.
Need to do what we can to get Robert from Superstition Search and Rescue a rough headcount by tomorrow evening if possible.

Here is a link to the current Search area (Do NOT go searching alone!!)
http://jeffblockismissing.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/08-03-2012-search-area.jpg

Here is a link to the latest flier. Feel free to print it out and post it up anywhere you think will help.
http://www.computapole.com/dan/Jeff_Block_is_Missing_flyer_with_truck.pdf

Here is a link to the latest efforts page.
http://jeffblockismissing.wordpress.com/latest-efforts/

Please reply here with comments and questions or give call/text me at four 8 oh, 2 six nine, seven 5 oh six

Thanks,

Tim

timgtndrty
08-03-2012, 02:51 AM
GREAT NEWS!! The latest Search Map is available here 45638 http://jeffblockismissing.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/08-03-2012-search-area.jpg

Please DO NOT go searching off-road alone. At least let us know when and where you go, and when you return.

Awesome Thanks!! :)

Available tomorrow and plan on taking a drive from Payson towards Christopher creek ...

Gonna try to head down that way too Digger... I'll check in with you Fri night. Days like this I wish I didn't have a job. I'd love to pack up and head out there right now

My brother is heading up tomorrow to our property off concho...some good storms this past weekend when I was there.

Also, the Facebook group page mentioned trying to get the local newpaper, the White Mountain Independant to run this story...Mayhaps, if I can, I will email the editor to see if they can run it tomorrow. http//:www.wmicentral.com

See the top of this post for the search area map

I saw a comment on facebook... Vernon Rd., this is located between Vernon and McNary. ...up on google map. His brother pleads to not go looking alone.

Awesome! Thanks!! Please feel free pass along my contact information as well. timfruitman at gmail or four 8 oh, 2 six nine, seven 5 oh six

...two friends on Facebook that still live in the area and just messaged them via FB giving the link to the Facebook group page and asking if they know about it and could they help. One is a Captain for Show Low fire and the other was (hopefully still is) a member of the White Mountain Posse who do search and rescue work up there....Good luck and God bless.

Digger, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and ideas on this. :) I believe the dog was to be dropped off with a friend, and that was already checked out, but I'll ask for sure. There were some thoughts about his being closer to town and there was a large search done between AJ and Globe on 8-1.

...He wasn't going to take his dog on the fishing trip to Colorado, so does anyone know what his plans were for boarding the dog,? ... Could be he is closer to town than we think. ?

Digger, If you do get out early, would you be willing to distribute fliers up the 87 North of Ussery Rd, and at the stops along the way through Lakeside, Pinetop, etc. (Alana is taking care of Fountain Hills, and Michele and I covered 87 from 60 North to Ussery Rd tonight). I'll be at Rio Salado Sportsman's club at 87 and Ussery Rd after 3pm (8-3-12) maybe we could meet there on your way out?

Ok, and I would travel the Beeline Hwy to get to Payson typically, but would gladly go up from AJ to show low if this would be the best route to look. ...if I can get off work with half day vacation tomorrow and head up by 3pm to start searching. Camping and cooking some kind of meat might get the dogs attention...

timgtndrty
08-03-2012, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the offer. I'll be posting up the timing and if you can go, we'll find a way to get you there and back.

really wish i could help out but my rig is down for the count at the moment. but if another pair of eyes is needed for a search or some feet on the street is needed i may be able to assist.

Digger
08-03-2012, 06:54 AM
I dought if I can get off work early, but I will try. I will print flyers and get them out as often as possible, I have spread the word and have many interested people who will keep their eyes open this weekend, as they drive through the area. I am not real familiar with the area of vernon/mcnary, and I know I shouldn't go off alone. Anyone willing to hike with me and the dogs in hopes of them picking up on any scent of the dog Blue and or Jeff would be appreciated. If anyone has access to getting something that has the dogs scent on it please bring it, I think my dogs would catch on to what I'm looking for as far as another dog. We haven't looked for a person yet, and don't know if the dogs would understand this, but bring something with Jeffs scent on it too, if possible. The dogs and I are not trackers, but we do play a find it game often. I have to get ready for work now, will check in to see what the plan is for meet up and teaming up when I get home. feel free to call me any time. 602 nine20 2763

BKTJ_LJ04
08-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Any more information on this "debt" he may have gone to collect? Did he even leave said location of debt pick up area? Not to be negative but maybe he never made it from the debt location...deal gone wrong?

teddyearp
08-03-2012, 09:28 AM
I am not real familiar with the area of vernon/mcnary, and I know I shouldn't go off alone.

You can stop at the Ranger station in Lakeside and get a Apache Sitgreave NF map for about $6-8 I think. I sure wish I still lived down there. I knew that are like the back of my hand. . . .:aagh:

snksknr94
08-03-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm currently in Show Low. I need to find some place to print some fliers then I'm gonna head out to put some up. I was planning on checking out the Los Burros camp ground and saw that mentioned on Facebook, so I'll be in that area anyway. Also gonna try to get the humane society locations up here to post the flier in case Blue turns up. I'll be on cb channel 4. I'll post back up this afternoon when I get back into Show Low.

Az.thewolf
08-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Depending on how my server migration goes tonight at work, I may have to push going up North to Sunday. I hope he is found by then.

If I can not go, is there anything I can do from the ground here in phoenix? Organize? be a point of contact for meetups? Directions via google maps? contact for updated news? Here is my Google Number if anyone going up wants to call me for updates and does not have internet access while on the road, anything else I can do from here... let me know. 602-492-7399 Take the number with you.. call anytime 24/7 for this. Feel free to share.
Don

timgtndrty
08-03-2012, 11:22 AM
8-4-12 Meeting 8:00 AM at Kmart
750 West Deuce of Clubs, Show Low, AZ
(928) 537-3192

Please call me if there is anything I can do for you. Four 8 oh, 2 six nine, seven 5 oh six.

We've also reached out to Albert Poe the ACSO Posse President in hopes to link up with the Apache County Sheriff's Office.

Hey Digger, Robert Cooper the SSAR Leader is heading up there today with a few folks that may be able to accompany you. If we can get the Sheriff's Posse involved, they have dog teams...but until/if that happens we are very happy to have the assistance of you and your K-9's.

I dought if I can get off work early, but I will try. I will print flyers and get them out as often as possible, I have spread the word and have many interested people who will keep their eyes open this weekend, as they drive through the area. I am not real familiar with the area of vernon/mcnary, and I know I shouldn't go off alone. Anyone willing to hike with me and the dogs in hopes of them picking up on any scent of the dog Blue and or Jeff would be appreciated. If anyone has access to getting something that has the dogs scent on it please bring it, I think my dogs would catch on to what I'm looking for as far as another dog. We haven't looked for a person yet, and don't know if the dogs would understand this, but bring something with Jeffs scent on it too, if possible. The dogs and I are not trackers, but we do play a find it game often. I have to get ready for work now, will check in to see what the plan is for meet up and teaming up when I get home. feel free to call me any time. 602 nine20 2763

No confirmed information on this yet.

Any more information on this "debt" he may have gone to collect? Did he even leave said location of debt pick up area? Not to be negative but maybe he never made it from the debt location...deal gone wrong?

Thanks for the info! Working on getting some maps printed up for tomorrow as well.

You can stop at the Ranger station in Lakeside and get a Apache Sitgreave NF map for about $6-8 I think. I sure wish I still lived down there. I knew that are like the back of my hand. . . .:aagh:

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know.

I'm currently in Show Low. I need to find some place to print some fliers then I'm gonna head out to put some up. I was planning on checking out the Los Burros camp ground and saw that mentioned on Facebook, so I'll be in that area anyway. Also gonna try to get the humane society locations up here to post the flier in case Blue turns up. I'll be on cb channel 4. I'll post back up this afternoon when I get back into Show Low.

Az.thewolf
08-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Based on the location of the dog sighting, I would run the road between Vernon and McNary, I believe it is Vernon McNary Rd, it splits into two, and if you stay east from Vernon it can be bad on tired and get a bit muddy. My 2 cents. I hope to join on Saturday or Sunday.

snksknr94
08-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Just got back into Show Low. I posted flyers at several locations in Lakeside, including the Ranger Station, White Mountain Humane Society, circle k's, and an outdoor outfitter. Several had the flyer already. I then ran up to McNary and posted one at the mini mart there before heading toward Vernon on FR224. I went back to the Los Burros campground and posted flyers on the bulletin boards and handed them out to all the campers. Didn't make it all the way to Vernon, however the ranger in Lakeside gave me a map of the area Blue was spotted in. That area is West of the 224/3140, South of Vernon. Head west on 5/655A to 6 which goes South to 3. The area is called McKay Spring and is East of Wolf Mountain.

teddyearp
08-03-2012, 03:17 PM
. . . I believe it is Vernon McNary Rd, it splits into two, and if you stay east from Vernon it can be bad on tired and get a bit muddy. My 2 cents. I hope to join on Saturday or Sunday.

Yes, that is what it is called and if you take that east fork, you can go all the way to Green's peak and Canaro Lake, and then reconnects to SR 260 east of the Greer turnoff. That is if you stay on that road. That's why I suggested someone getting a Forest map if they're not familiar, heck even if you are. There's tons of roads up in there.

@snksknr94, nice job!

Digger
08-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Just got home from work, so I'll be heading up early tomorrow morning.
I see they might use some hounds to look for him, if so they will not want distractions from my dogs, I'll be sure to get detailed info. of their search area, and avoid this, will look elsewhere.
The question of "how long would a dog stay with the person"? The dog being part wolf might cause him to act differently, but typically a dog would wonder off after a day or two, but would most likely return to what it feels safe with and familiar with and that's the truck. Night time brings out coyotes, and a dog would seek the safety of the truck.
I plan on leaving real early, if anyone wants join, good. I'll check back for update in an hour or two, after I see if there is anything new on facebook.

teddyearp
08-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Hey folks, I had another thought. Since he was not spotted by the cameras in Show Low, he _might_ not have gone through there at all but detoured through Whiteriver and then to McNary to the Vernon-McNary road.

http://goo.gl/maps/nRYjJ

RaneMan05TJ
08-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Took a drive out to Christopher creek. Drove mostly the main roads into Christopher creek, Tonto creek and FR284. There is a trail system off of 284 that we took back a few miles back but it at a certain point I don't think he would have taken that truck farther than where we were.

Digger
08-03-2012, 07:06 PM
From the information on facebook: he has been laid off from work, and had money owed to him from a sale of air conditioner. He was to go on 5 day vacation with his father to colorado the day before the trip, he turned up missing. I would bet he paid the guy who owes him money a visit, to help fund this trip to Colorado, and from the missing person picture with his dog, I have the feeling Jeff is an outdoor person, and it is known how much he loves his dog Blue. This is very strange and would want to search and question the guy he went to collect the money from.
Maybe some fliers should be posted in the area of Show Low with the missing Jeff and Blue along with question of ; if anyone has noticed or knows anyone who purchased a an air conditioner recently. If Jeff had that beautiful unique dog Blue with him when he delivered the air conditioner. someone would remember seeing him.

asjazwa
08-03-2012, 07:12 PM
but the a/c sale was a while back the guy owed him $700 but he was going to collect $350.

Digger
08-03-2012, 09:22 PM
If they could locate the air guy, to find out if Jeff made it far, would help to narrow the search. Hope that connection happens. I'm heading up there early tomorrow morning, hopefully will connect with other searchers, there's going to be a bunch up there tomorrow. I left a message on the Jeff Block facebook page to identify myself and xj, so they know and will gladly welcome me into the search. Probably will partner up with another vehicle there, if not, I'll be careful and won't go very far from main trails. Probably spend time by running creeks looking for the white dog. Will be home Saturday night or sunday morning. Will post I'm back. Have GPS and several good ol paper maps of the area. Will be glad to partner up with anyone here that is going. 602 nine20 2763

timgtndrty
08-03-2012, 09:29 PM
******NEW MEETING AREA FOR SATURDAY!!!!!!!
Saturday Staging Area with Commander Robert Cooper.
8:00am
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Show Low AZ
1401 W Deuce of Clubs Ave
North East Corner of Hwy 60 and Hwy 260

teddyearp
08-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Tim, just want to point out that there are two intersections of US 60 and SR 260 in Show Low. Your meet-up would be at the west end of Show Low/SR 260 intersection (aka S Clark Rd.) and US 60 (the Duece). Either way, if one is coming in from either Payson (Sr 260) or Globe (US 60) , this will be near the first intersection of SR 260 and US 60, just past the Victorian style real estate building.

The other intersection of SR 260 and US 60 is at the Duece and White Mountain Blvd and on the south east corner is the Branding Iron. Just sayin'

Good luck and God bless.

azgypsy
08-03-2012, 09:50 PM
ive just been silently keepin up with this! its an aweful situation! i will pray for him and his family and friends,,,, they must be in shock! prayers said! and asking for a blessing! dave

djui5
08-03-2012, 11:27 PM
I wish I could go. God bless to all of those who are looking for this guy. Depending on how this weekend goes I might be able to help search on Monday.

Az.thewolf
08-04-2012, 10:40 AM
FYI, just spoke to Digger she is on the way and handing out many fliers, she said she is going slow and not to worry that she did not make the meet at 8:00am

timgtndrty
08-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Awesome! Thanks we saw her pull in a little bit ago.

FYI, just spoke to Digger she is on the way and handing out many fliers, she said she is going slow and not to worry that she did not make the meet at 8:00am
Thanks Randy

I wish I could go. God bless to all of those who are looking for this guy. Depending on how this weekend goes I might be able to help search on Monday.
Thanks Dave! Thanks for keeping watch on the family, too! Also thanks for the offer to help pick up he pool fence. Will probably take you up on that when we get back! :)

ive just been silently keepin up with this! its an aweful situation! i will pray for him and his family and friends,,,, they must be in shock! prayers said! and asking for a blessing! dave

Thanks that's great info! I'll post it up ASAP!

Tim, just want to point out that there are two intersections of US 60 and SR 260 in Show Low. Your meet-up would be at the west end of Show Low/SR 260 intersection (aka S Clark Rd.) and US 60 (the Duece). Either way, if one is coming in from either Payson (Sr 260) or Globe (US 60) , this will be near the first intersection of SR 260 and US 60, just past the Victorian style real estate building.

The other intersection of SR 260 and US 60 is at the Duece and White Mountain Blvd and on the south east corner is the Branding Iron. Just sayin'

Good luck and God bless.

aribelin
08-04-2012, 08:34 PM
I have been following this thread and certainly pray for a good outcome. I administer the Arizona Loggers Association and have sent a request to our membership to watch for him/his dog/pickup. Many of our membership is in the White Mountain region and spend their days in the forest around Show Low, Heber, Pinetop, Lakeside, etc.

Digger
08-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Just got home. Doubled back to Rim then down to Payson stopping along way to check camp sights/trails. A good many are still closed due to Bear Activity in the area, so the signs said.

asjazwa
08-04-2012, 09:21 PM
good job digger glad you had safe trip.

Digger
08-05-2012, 07:28 AM
On the way to Show Low, I stopped where ever I saw posted camp areas, and passed out fliers. Most of the sights are closed for camping because of Bear sightings, but are still open for picnics between the hours of 6am till 6pm. The timing was good, because I ran into many Forest Service people at these sights, both in trucks and in service golf cart type vehicles, I also stopped at gas stations and handed out fliers to people, and the fire Station at Herber area. Everyone was real nice, and sincerly interested listening to the details of what I knew at the time (the white dog had been spotted by a hunter in the Vernon area, but could possibly travel in any direction). When I finally made it to the meet up point at the Church the Commander Mr. Cooper of the Superstition Search and Rescue was there, everyone else was out on the search. He directed me to there area where the dog was spotted and some search parties were. I found their truck and trailer, and waited there. The area is a place I would not venture off to by myself, it is very unforgiven. Very remote, the terrain is rough with thick brush and trees, the ground is cinders and dirt. One of the teams had come across a black bear and within a mile came across a cinnamon colored bear, that is a bad sign, knowing bears are territorial. Don't go in that area alone, ever. It was good to meet the fine people of Superstition Search and Rescue, they are very Proffesional and serious at the task they are dealing with. My prayers are with Jeff Block's family in hopes of finding him.

Digger
08-05-2012, 07:33 AM
I have been following this thread and certainly pray for a good outcome. I administer the Arizona Loggers Association and have sent a request to our membership to watch for him/his dog/pickup. Many of our membership is in the White Mountain region and spend their days in the forest around Show Low, Heber, Pinetop, Lakeside, etc.

Good job, this is the best thing to do right now, get the word out to people who spend time and are familiar with the area.

Digger
08-05-2012, 03:50 PM
I was just reading on the efforts update page for Jeff Block, that a couple spotted a white pickup truck parked in the middle of nowhere. Saw it through bonoculars, and it is close to the area searched yesterday. Weather is preventing any air support, but a Search is underway in a vehicle. My Hopes are high, so lets all pray for the best!

Digger
08-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Not Jeff Blocks truck.

teddyearp
08-05-2012, 09:59 PM
The info for this search is spread far and wide.

Digger, you went above and beyond the call of duty in your efforts yesterday and I have applauded your efforts. But the thing that bugs me about this whole search effort is that I have yet to see anyone who actually knows the area post here, or on the facebook page or even the wordpress page. You posted that when you went out to meet with the S&R team (I assume south of Vernon) you said the area and roads were very rugged and would not advise anyone to go alone, expecially with the recent bear sightings. My answer is that I have explored most if not all of that area alone, however I always went loaded for bear while doing so. I know most of the whole search area like the back of my hand.

I have two gut feelings about this

The first (and might be most likely) is I am thinking almost like the dic# that Lance was in his post. The last phone call at 3PM on July 25 stated not to wait for the 5PM meeting, nor the 7PM one. Why? Irregardless of the money collection, if I had really planned on getting with another party on 4AM the following day to head out of state, I (my old arse is 52, this guy is 58), I would have made those commitments. Yet he said not to. Hmmm. . . . . To continue with my dic# post, where I work I see lots of folks older than I and see what's ahead of me. It doesn't look good. Even now I wish I would have gone, because I don't like what I see; but for me that's still in God's hands for now. So I hate to say it but he might have taken Blue for the last long walk and for himself . . . . . . . . . and that is why nobody can find him.

The second and probably less likely solution is for me to travel the 1200 miles down there and be a real man on the ground. I have no guarantees that I could find him, but I could guarantee that I know the area like the back of my hand. I would have comms the whole way with every technological means to stay in touch. Yes, this is the most stupid (in a way) method, but I know I could canvass every single back road from Green's Peak to Payson. From McNary to Vernon. Concho to Snowflake. Pinedale to Aripine. Heber to Show Low. And every other path not mentioned. However, I cannot do this on my own funds and have no vacation pay to support this.

I don't know, I'm in the cups, but that is all I have to say about this tonight.

BKTJ_LJ04
08-05-2012, 10:20 PM
I realize this is none of my business but I couldn't agree more with the last post...just saying. There seems to be a disconnect. Nothing makes sense. Why find someone who doesn't "seem" to want to be found. You'd never find me!

Someone needs to step up with some realistic thought at this point.

LittleBurro
08-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Not Jeff Blocks truck.

That's too bad, it was promising ....

You've done great work Digger!!

My1stJeep
08-06-2012, 08:51 AM
I realize this is none of my business but I couldn't agree more with the last post...just saying. There seems to be a disconnect. Nothing makes sense. Why find someone who doesn't "seem" to want to be found. You'd never find me!

Being that there is some speculation that he was going to meet someone there in order to collect a debt, we can't really make the judgement call yet that he does not want to be found. If for some reason the debt collection went bad that is different then just disappearing on your own. JMO

I applaud all those making such an effort, no matter the reason, helping the family to find closure is a nice for thing for you all to do.

ROKR8TD
08-06-2012, 10:18 AM

Being that there is some speculation that he was going to meet someone there in order to collect a debt, we can't really make the judgement call yet that he does not want to be found. If for some reason the debt collection went bad that is different then just disappearing on your own. JMO

I applaud all those making such an effort, no matter the reason, helping the family to find closure is a nice for thing for you all to do.

This!

You must first exhaust every possible scenario. Wasnt it not too long ago that a young lady in N. Cali. or Oregon who ran off the road. she was found a week or more later still alive trapped in her car. If everybody had given up early she would most likely still be there. This kinda thing does happen all the time.

And if (heaven forbid) Jeffs dissapearance wes due to "foul play" then the person(s) responcible need to be brought to justice.

Digger
08-06-2012, 05:22 PM
I wasn't going to respond to the recent comment, but it's pretty clear that he has a loving family. Why would anyone think he "took the dog for their final walk" or how ever to put it. I dought he was in dire straights, with the newer truck and living on his own in his own home.
So let's just drop that train of thought and focus on other senerio's that might have happened.
I would like to keep the search strong and positive, I'm not about to let this fade away. I'll be heading up towards the area again next weekend, if for no other clues to search out, then it will for the fliers I have taped to the windows on my xj's, in hopes someone will recognize the truck, dog or Jeff, and new clues.

timgtndrty
08-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Digger thanks so much for your efforts!!! I'll post the email from Commander Cooper here in a few. Sorry it is taking me a while to get caught up. Stayed yesterday as well to continue the search near Greens Peak after the white truck was reported.

Just got home. Doubled back to Rim then down to Payson stopping along way to check camp sights/trails. A good many are still closed due to Bear Activity in the area, so the signs said.

X10

good job digger glad you had safe trip.

Thank you is not nearly enough for all of your efforts Digger!

On the way to Show Low, I stopped where ever I saw posted camp areas, and passed out fliers. Most of the sights are closed for camping because of Bear sightings, but are still open for picnics between the hours of 6am till 6pm. The timing was good, because I ran into many Forest Service people at these sights, both in trucks and in service golf cart type vehicles, I also stopped at gas stations and handed out fliers to people, and the fire Station at Herber area. Everyone was real nice, and sincerly interested listening to the details of what I knew at the time (the white dog had been spotted by a hunter in the Vernon area, but could possibly travel in any direction). When I finally made it to the meet up point at the Church the Commander Mr. Cooper of the Superstition Search and Rescue was there, everyone else was out on the search. He directed me to there area where the dog was spotted and some search parties were. I found their truck and trailer, and waited there. The area is a place I would not venture off to by myself, it is very unforgiven. Very remote, the terrain is rough with thick brush and trees, the ground is cinders and dirt. One of the teams had come across a black bear and within a mile came across a cinnamon colored bear, that is a bad sign, knowing bears are territorial. Don't go in that area alone, ever. It was good to meet the fine people of Superstition Search and Rescue, they are very Proffesional and serious at the task they are dealing with. My prayers are with Jeff Block's family in hopes of finding him.

This is the truck we looked for yesterday.

I was just reading on the efforts update page for Jeff Block, that a couple spotted a white pickup truck parked in the middle of nowhere. Saw it through bonoculars, and it is close to the area searched yesterday. Weather is preventing any air support, but a Search is underway in a vehicle. My Hopes are high, so lets all pray for the best!

X2

That's too bad, it was promising ....
You've done great work Digger!!

Amen!

This!
You must first exhaust every possible scenario. Wasnt it not too long ago that a young lady in N. Cali. or Oregon who ran off the road. she was found a week or more later still alive trapped in her car. If everybody had given up early she would most likely still be there. This kinda thing does happen all the time.
And if (heaven forbid) Jeffs dissapearance wes due to "foul play" then the person(s) responcible need to be brought to justice.

Good Points.

timgtndrty
08-06-2012, 06:18 PM
From Commander Robert Cooper:

"Here is a email I sent out to my team this morning,

Thanks Team for the great turnout yesterday in Show Low. We set up Base Camp at the LDS church and deployed 9 field teams and several street teams. Based on the debrief records we cleared 22 square miles of land South of Vernon (Hwy60) and 15 miles to the North. One team confirmed that there was a white K-9 in the area by it's prints and where it crawled under a fence leaving its white hair on the barbwire. Another team followed a unconfirmed large 5 inch K-9 print to get a direction of travel in case needed. We chased down 2 leads on Dodge pick-ups parked in remote areas. Teams drove from Show Low to Clay Springs via Hwy 260 clearing dirt roads, residential areas, business parking lots while hanging flyers and talking to the locals. A team cleared the Hwy from Springerville to St John and from Show Low to the Concho turnoff. There was a festival off the highway that was hit twice in the day talking to everyone and handing out flyers. Flyers were left at about every business in the area including group mail boxes and the post office. I was really impressed when I learned that the street teams were approaching every person to inform them of our emergency, this alerted the town first hand and got the word out. Jeff's family has now issued a Reward and with your impact on the area the leads are coming in.

Great Job Every One!!"

djui5
08-06-2012, 10:42 PM
I have two gut feelings about this

The first (and might be most likely) is I am thinking almost like the dic# that Lance was in his post. The last phone call at 3PM on July 25 stated not to wait for the 5PM meeting, nor the 7PM one. Why? Irregardless of the money collection, if I had really planned on getting with another party on 4AM the following day to head out of state, I (my old arse is 52, this guy is 58), I would have made those commitments. Yet he said not to. Hmmm

I had a fried that committed suicide when I was young. He called his girlfriend, who he was in a fight with, and told her to come pick up her stuff and not to look for him, he didn't want to see her. She did as he asked and his parents found him later in the barn.

I'm not trying to say that is what happened here but it sure seems like that is the case. Either way I hope someone finds this guy soon so his family will know.

If anyone talks to Robert Cooper tell him Randy from the Lost Dutchman Rendezvous says hello.

knockonit
08-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Yep, whats above or he drove off one of the edges of the road and is lost in the vegetation, it happens, hunters may find something come fall.

teddyearp
08-07-2012, 05:54 PM
And yes, I didn't mean to get too negative by throwing out the 'S' card. But the other posts on the FB page about folks who have been found after this amount of time were those lost while in the snow. There is no snow up there now and if he was able and got stuck it wouldn't take long to walk to pavement.

But something is wrong here and as the last poster said, we might not get an answer until the hunters are out in the field this fall. Or (shudder) worse.

This whole thing is killing me. As I said in my last post, that was my stomping grounds for almost 8 years. I lived on Poplar Drive in Pinetop and drove a Jeep. There aren't too many roads up there I haven't been on.

I pray that he is found and soon, because I am really wishing right now that I still lived there so I could canvass the area like nobody else's business!

timgtndrty
08-08-2012, 05:12 PM
From the latest efforts page, "My brother Jeffrey was found at the bottom of Salt River Canyon after a fatal truck crash. No word on Blue yet but it was not survivable by anyone. Please do not call family yet. I wanted everyone to know. Iíll update you later"

Thanks so much to everyone that helped in this search! Your efforts are so appreciated!

vin man
08-08-2012, 05:14 PM
I've been following the thread. Sad ending but I'm glad there is closure for his family.

jkfamily
08-08-2012, 05:24 PM
We're so sorry, your family is in our prayers.

Az.thewolf
08-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Prayers sent.

Digger
08-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I am saddened by this news, my heart goes out to his family. I didn't know Jeff and his family, but I know the family is a loving one, and they all will be in my prayers.

My Green Jeep
08-08-2012, 06:08 PM
My thoughts and sympathies go out to his family and friends... :bigcry:

djui5
08-08-2012, 06:17 PM
:( Godspeed

cmanning9996
08-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Prayers to you and your family. Glad he was found now rather than later.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

yummi
08-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Tragic thread. Digger you should proud of yourself for stepping up and doing all that you did.

I hope his family can find peace in the days and weeks ahead taking comfort from his life and not sorrow from his passing.

David C
08-08-2012, 08:49 PM
My heart goes out to all affected by this loss. My deepest condolences.

Article on AzCentral:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/pinal/articles/2012/08/08/20120808arizona-missing-man-block-truck-found-abrk.html

LittleBurro
08-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Horrible... So sorry

Tim, Digger and everyone else who put so much into the search efforts, thanks for being amazing ambassadors for our community.

RaneMan05TJ
08-08-2012, 09:28 PM
I am so sorry! It is good to not have to wonder anymore but it is a sad ending to a long and stressful search for your family. You all are in our prayers and I am sorry for your loss. :(

For the wonderful people who took the time out of their own lives to help this family, you are amazing and God bless you.

snksknr94
08-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Condolences to the family,

ROKR8TD
08-09-2012, 04:14 AM
My deepest regrets to the friends and family of Jeff. May the joy of your memories of him soon outweigh the dispair of his loss.

My1stJeep
08-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Prayer for the family and friends as they go through this time. So sorry for your loss.

Great job by all those who stepped up and did what they could to help.

OlneyJeeps
08-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Condolences to the family
Props to those who helped look

Hardline
08-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Sad news. However....what about the dog?

vin man
08-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Sad news. However....what about the dog?
http://jeffblockismissing.wordpress.com/latest-efforts/

Presumed, but not confirmed, that Blue did not survive the crash. SAR will look for dog during recovery operations. If Blue did survive and is found, he is chipped and contact info has been changed to Jeff's brother Danny.

snksknr94
08-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Blue was found today. He did not survive the crash.

Digger
08-09-2012, 06:07 PM

knockonit
08-09-2012, 06:43 PM
bummer fer sure, that canyon has taken a fair share of good folks, ole blue is living large forever.

OTR-93YJ
08-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Prayers sent.

That's all I can type without tearing up...........

teddyearp
08-09-2012, 07:37 PM
bummer fer sure, that canyon has taken a fair share of good folks, ole blue is living large forever.

Yes a tragic end, but at least they both have been found and that part of the agony is over.

And in the past I have stopped at most of the lookouts over the Salt River Canyon to enjoy the view, but have noticed all the vehicles that have gone over, bad bad indeed.

My Green Jeep
08-10-2012, 08:17 AM
My thoughts go out to his family and friends :*(

azgypsy
08-10-2012, 07:32 PM
im heartbroke for the family! my prayers will focus on jeff AND blue in church this sunday,,,, and for his family and friends too!

timgtndrty
08-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks to everyone in the club that posted and helped. It meant the world to Jeff and Blue family.

timgtndrty
08-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks to VINMAN for bringing this to my attention. I have re-opened this thread to post this.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/EJMontini/170226

E.J. MONTINI'S COLUMNS & BLOG
E.J. Montini is a columnist for The Arizona Republic.
Jeff Block, buddy Blue are leaving their mark

Earlier this month, I wrote about the death of a good man who was also a good son and a good brother. It's the kind of story we often do in the news business. What we don't often do is cover the aftermath, in which the victims of such a tragedy seek, and sometimes find, grace.

This is about the aftermath.

Sometime in the late afternoon of July 25, while driving south on U.S. 60 out of Show Low, 57-year-old Jeff Block lost control of his Dodge Ram truck, leaving the roadway and plunging several hundred feet down the embankment.

The truck's wreckage with Jeff's body inside finally was discovered two weeks later, a few hours after I'd spoken to Jeff's anguished father, Sherwin.

"To have a child be missing without any clues, without any rhyme or reason, it's just ... just a terrible thing," he told me. "It surely is."

Jeff was traveling with his all-white, blue-eyed wolf-mix dog named Blue. The dog had not been found when I initially wrote about the accident. The next day, Sherwin called to tell me that a team from Superstition Search and Rescue had returned to the crash site and located Blue's body.

The day Jeff disappeared, he telephoned his father to say he was driving outside of Show Low and would be unable to get back to Phoenix in time for their scheduled dinner. The two of them were planning to drive to Colorado early the next day on a fishing trip.

When Jeff didn't show up, his brother Dan flew in from California. He and his father drove the steep, treacherous stretch of U.S. 60 between Show Low and Globe.

"My father, brother and I were on that road in late May," Dan told me. "Our father took us up to Greer for a fly-fishing get-together. It's something we do regularly. My dad and my brother were heading out the next morning to go fly-fishing for my brother's birthday. We drove the road to see if we could spot any signs of a truck going off. We saw some wreckage but it wasn't his. You're thinking maybe he was hurt, surviving and needed our help. But it's extremely difficult to spot things."

Even from the air.

Dan organized private flyovers of the area before the Civil Air Patrol got involved in the search. But Jeff's truck isn't the first vehicle to have gone off U.S. 60, and a number of the old wrecks are still visible. One of the volunteers searching for Jeff suggested the old wrecks should be marked so that spotters in airplanes can more easily find a recent accident.

"Then someone suggested painting big X's using the color blue," Dan said, "because of Jeff's dog and because it's not a color you see in the desert. Another friend said we could call the effort Project Blue, something we figure Jeff would like."

(You can read more about it or make a donation at jeffblockismissing.wordpress.com.)

In an e-mail after Jeff's dog was found, Sherwin wrote to me, "Jeff and Blue will be cremated together and their ashes strewn on the Frying Pan River in Colorado, where Jeff and his brother Dan loved to fly fish. We'll do that next year on July 30th."

Jeff's birthday.

"This has been a terrible ordeal for our parents, my sister and me," said Dan. "Jeff was a great guy. Our family is close. But people have been very kind to us. We've made friends out of this, and we wanted something good to come out of a terrible experience. We have that with Project Blue."

In Norman Maclean's great novel "A River Runs Through It," a father and two sons are bound together by faith, family and fly fishing, sort of like the Block boys and their dad.

At one point, the narrator of the novel, one of the brothers, says: "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things -- trout as well as eternal salvation -- come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy."

Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 08:48 PM

vin man
08-26-2012, 06:47 PM
I just thought it was so fitting that all the known wrecks will now be marked with a blue X in memory of Jeff and his dog - BLUE. It will certainly reduce the amount of time SAR spends in future cases.

YJunk
11-11-2012, 09:11 AM
project blue has an official website now. it will be a while before everything is launched but if you're following along... http://www.projectbluex.com/

Digger
11-11-2012, 05:42 PM
thanks for update and info.!