PDA

View Full Version : Sedona trails update

Sedona Jeep School
01-15-2005, 05:31 AM
Just in case any of you are thinking about Sedona this weekend, the trail conditions are awesome--amazing what a few days of sun will do!

Broken Arrow: normal

Soldier Pass: normal

Diamondback: better than it has been in years--all of the dirt ramping has washed away on the big hill, with some 2-foot V-grooving, water running in all the low spots (nothing above hubs), not much mud.

Schnebly: open to Merry-go-round (about half way to the rim). The volcanic rim trails are all closed through April 15.

Oak Creek Homestead: open, though Dry Creek is not yet fordable--water is moving way too fast. I didn't have time to go all the way to the bottom, but I know that the entire Oak Creek basin flooded up to the cabin--probably some quicksand in there now, and the picnic site is devastated.

Vultee Arch (FR 152) is the only road closed, but mostly just renta-cars use that anyway.

Happy trails!

Sedona Jeep School
01-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Update on the update: the trail maintenance guys already hit Diamondback :mad: So, it is still better (as in worse) than it was before the storms, but some of the bigger holes got filled in today.

If I get irritated at smooth roads, does this mean I have a problem? :D

T.C.'S TOY
01-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks For The Update Nena We Don't Like Paved Roads Over Here Either,
T.c.'s Toy Over Here In Payson.right Next To The Pyutte Draw

rvisokey
01-18-2005, 03:37 PM
I was in Sedona over the weekend and Greasy Spoon (Diamonback) was great. Loved the mud and the rock climbs on 'telegraph' were perfect. I must have gotten there before they 'fixed' the trail.

I did pull one jeep from a mud hole at the start of the trail on Saturday evening. It was buzzing with p-jeep tours but I ran it again on Sunday and never saw anyone along the entire trail.

ActualReverend
01-20-2005, 02:10 PM
I have never heard of these trails, where can I find directions to them?

--Bryan

Just in case any of you are thinking about Sedona this weekend, the trail conditions are awesome--amazing what a few days of sun will do!

Diamondback: better than it has been in years--all of the dirt ramping has washed away on the big hill, with some 2-foot V-grooving, water running in all the low spots (nothing above hubs), not much mud.
Oak Creek Homestead: open, though Dry Creek is not yet fordable--water is moving way too fast. I didn't have time to go all the way to the bottom, but I know that the entire Oak Creek basin flooded up to the cabin--probably some quicksand in there now, and the picnic site is devastated.

Vultee Arch (FR 152) is the only road closed, but mostly just renta-cars use that anyway.

Happy trails!

Sedona Jeep School
01-20-2005, 05:09 PM
I have never heard of these trails, where can I find directions to them?

--Bryan
Uh-oh, here we go--directions are a hot topic around here! :D

Bryan, with the exception of Oak Creek Homestead, they are all relatively easy to find. The Charles Wells book has most of them. I would be happy to give you insight into any of the trails. What type of trail are you looking for? What are you driving?

I believe there is a Broken Arrow & Soldier Pass trip scheduled for Saturday, which you could join. Check the AZVJC.org site or Yahoo messages.

Happy trails!

Crawldit
01-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Yeah, when my wife and I did Oak Creek Homestead back in June we thoroughly enjoyed driving behind all those houses :D I'm sure they love seeing Jeeps going past there backyards all day long. Fun trail though. We actually ran into a horse group and the head guy was much nicer than most of the pink jeep guys that we ran into. Of course I think that he was impressed that I actually pulled off to the side of the trail and turned the engine off so the horses wouldn't spook. Sedona is a beautiful place to wheel ;)

Sedona Jeep School
01-20-2005, 07:00 PM
Sorry to hear you ran into the unfriendly side of pink--most of the guides are great folks. The Oak Creek Homestead trail has changed considerably since the Wells book was written, though, in many ways, it is easier to navigate now. I usually take the old highway in, and come back out behind Michael's Ranch, so it is more of a loop. I went down there Monday--no more Oak Creek crossing thanks to mother nature.
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=739&stc=1
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=740&stc=1

But the Dry Creek entrance was anything but dry--it was a whole 6" deep!
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=741&stc=1

Happy trails!

ActualReverend
01-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Uh-oh, here we go--directions are a hot topic around here! :D

Bryan, with the exception of Oak Creek Homestead, they are all relatively easy to find. The Charles Wells book has most of them. I would be happy to give you insight into any of the trails. What type of trail are you looking for? What are you driving?

I believe there is a Broken Arrow & Soldier Pass trip scheduled for Saturday, which you could join. Check the AZVJC.org site or Yahoo messages.

Happy trails!

I am the one "leading" the BA and Soldier pass ones, but I dont know where the other ones are. One of the people that has "signed-up" for Saturday morning has asked me if I want to go on greasy spoon, but I dont even know where that is.

I am *now* driving a 05 TJ Rubicon.
I like all trails, except for the AZ pinstriping and body damaging ones. :)

--Bryan

k7mto
01-21-2005, 12:18 PM

Do these trails exist? I don't think I've been on a trail yet that hasn't scratched or dented my rig :D

AZDesertXJ
01-21-2005, 12:45 PM
I am the one "leading" the BA and Soldier pass ones, but I dont know where the other ones are. One of the people that has "signed-up" for Saturday morning has asked me if I want to go on greasy spoon, but I dont even know where that is.

--Bryan

Bryan,

Greasy Spoon is off of Boynton Pass Rd, just past Dow Mtn.

Aren't the trails without scratches and body damage know by another name? I've heard them called roads. :)

I'll probably make it on tomorrow's run. I'll show you were it is.

Kent

BRUZR
01-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Bryan,

Greasy Spoon is off of Boynton Pass Rd, just past Dow Mtn.

Aren't the trails without scratches and body damage know by another name? I've heard them called roads. :)

I'll probably make it on tomorrow's run. I'll show you were it is.

Kent
Yeah, I think they're called "pavement". :p :D

Sedona Jeep School
01-21-2005, 02:28 PM

--Bryan
Bryan, you will be happy to know that Greasy Spoon (this is the name of the easy access road to the Diamondback, but the whole trail has come to be known as Greasy Spoon lately), Soldier Pass, and Broken Arrow are all trails that can be easily accomplished with no pinstriping or body damage. If your Rubi is stock, you will likely kiss your skid plates a little on all three trails. All of these trails are 3.0 at the most right now.

Crawldit
01-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Hey Nena, what's the name of that really short trail that comes out at a cabin? It's actually kinda like two cabins with a pass through and there's a golf course on the other side. I wish I could remeber the name. The cabin is in beautiful shape and the trail is probably one of my favorite "short" trails in the state. I'll look it up when I get home, but I highly reccommend it if your in Sedona. It's actually kind of funny because on one side of the cabins you have pristine wilderness and 100 yards on the other side there is a fairway for a golf course :eek:

pitch
01-21-2005, 07:34 PM
what's the name of that really short trail that comes out at a cabin? :

That sounds like the VanDeeren cabin trail. The access road (FR 152C) to that trail has been closed since around October, so you have to hike in for access to that area now.

Bryan, I am going to be taking a group of 4 Jeeps (ZJ, WJ, TJ, CJ) through Greasy Spoon, and possibly Soldier's pass tomorrow as well. We are also meeting in Flag and driving down. We'll throw you a wave if we pass.

Crawldit
01-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Yup, that's the trail. Bummer the access road is closed :( Is it just for the winter or permanent????

Sedona Jeep School
01-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Pitch is right--it is the Van Deren cabin. The access road is FR 152, which is usually passable by rental car. Although usually open year-round (it is about the same condition as Schnebly Hill Road) the USFS still has it closed for all of the flooding that occurred there. Since it is impassable for rental cars right now, they think they must close it and keep everyone out--I guess they get tired of pulling rental cars out of mud holes! :D

The cabin was built c. 1925. Actually, the north cabin was disassembled from the Purtyman ranch, and reassembled like Lincoln Logs where it sits today. The newer cabin with the fireplace was built later--c. 1929, when Earl Van Deren married Leah. You can see the cabin in its heyday in the movie Blood on the Moon (1938). It is maintained by the USFS now, who rebuilt the roof a few years ago. There are many local stories surrounding that cabin--romance, adventure, murder...I used to love doing tours there, until the golf course was built.

The golf course is another story. In an area where water usage, waste water management, and historical preservation is highly sensitive--where in the surrounding forest, we can't even stop for a P without the USFS permission, how the F*&% did that golf course get built? They have drilled 7 wells into our water table, even though residents of Sedona ran out of water several times in the last 10 years, from the same water table. They have completely ignored their agreement to use effluent from the city. It is a private club, so it is not even an asset to the community, like Sedona Golf Resort and Oak Creek Country Club are. And, if you go to the cabin these days, note the putrid green water draining from the golf course, past the cabin, and into Dry Creek, on public land. :mad: Oh, my gosh--I just sounded like a greenie! :eek: :confused: End of rant--I have to go drink some beer and shoot at some road signs or something... :D

ActualReverend
01-25-2005, 10:07 AM
I was wondering if there is a book somewhere that has the history of he trails in sedona. My wife and I have been tempted to take a pink jeep tour, just so we could hear the history lesson. (But that will never happen for 50 bucks a person).

So back to my question, is there a book I can pick up that gives all these wonderful details about the surrounding areas and trails?

--Bryan

Sedona Jeep School
01-27-2005, 01:41 PM
I was wondering if there is a book somewhere that has the history of he trails in sedona. My wife and I have been tempted to take a pink jeep tour, just so we could hear the history lesson.
A book? No. I suppose that would be because then tour guides would be accountable for the truth. :eek: :D

I have some written stuff on the Van Deren cabin, and personal notes from discussions with old-timers and local historians--maybe I should write a book! The USFS put up a plaque at the Van Deren cabin. I have not been able to find definitive info on the cabin on Cliffhanger. There is a great resource at the Sedona Historical Society at the end of Jordan Road. The library has out-of-print history books, "Those Early Days" is an entertaining local tome, but not trail specific. I would be happy to hook up with you sometime for a "history run"--oooh--idea!--THEMED club runs!

Crawldit
01-27-2005, 02:14 PM
I'd sign up for one of those in a heartbeat. Knowing the history behind what your driving through is half the fun :D

ROCKFAN
01-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Nena -
Great idea, a "themed" run through Sedona (and other places, as well) - one of my first runs was at the ASA Jambo in 2002 after the 101 course. Gunny and Sheepdip had some good stories to tell about Reymert as we went out there - made the run a lot more fun.

I'd join in (and pay the guide a nominal fee)...

roger
01-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Hey Nena, how long have you been in Sedona? My grandparents were the original owners of the original Sedona Ice Cream Parlor. That was back before Sedona became the touristy place it is now. Back then, it was common for movie stars to come into their parlor. I remember being there one time when Walter Mathau came in.

Last time I was in Sedona, there was a smaller, more trendy ice cream shop where my grandparent's parlor used to be.

-Roger

Sedona Jeep School
01-29-2005, 05:21 AM
Roger--Since 1979. The parlor on the east side of the highway in the middle of uptown? In some ways, Sedona has changed a lot, in other ways, it has stayed the same. I'll bet you have some good stories! We still see a lot of movie stars, but they blend in more easily when there are 3.5 million people here.

I'll post a history run this Spring, when the trails all open, after April 15! Are Sundays good for most people?

DsrtJeeper
01-29-2005, 08:37 AM
Sundays are great for me. I'd be up for such a run.

1979!? :eek: OMG! I'll shut up now. :D

Sedona Jeep School
01-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Yes, back when we had to walk to town 12 miles uphill both ways in the snow... :D

Proof:

Saturday, January 29, 2005, 1:00 PM
The Seven Pools (or, currently, The Falls), Sedona AZ (with Coffee Pot Rock in the background)

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=798&stc=1
Dios mio de mi vida! Are the polar caps melting? Did the earth roll over on its axis? I can't believe the winter we are having!

roger
01-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Roger--Since 1979. The parlor on the east side of the highway in the middle of uptown? In some ways, Sedona has changed a lot, in other ways, it has stayed the same. I'll bet you have some good stories! We still see a lot of movie stars, but they blend in more easily when there are 3.5 million people here.

I'll post a history run this Spring, when the trails all open, after April 15! Are Sundays good for most people?

Yep, middle uptown I believe. Although I think of it as being on the north side of the highway - not the east. There was a book store at one end of that shopping center and to the other side there was a grocery store and a bar with a big stuffed bear standing on its rear legs. I remember staying at the Brook Haven Hotel which was down on the creek somewhere below uptown, I believe.

I witnessed Sedona get popular, crowded and littered. :(

-Roger

DsrtJeeper
01-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Yes, back when we had to walk to town 12 miles uphill both ways in the snow... :D

Well I must confess; I rode on a bus. It was a very old bus though..... ;) I did have to get up 4:30 each morning to milk the cows before school though. :rolleyes:

Vamos a la playa? La playa es muy bonita con caliente senioritas. :D Well anyways...it's better than snow! :p

Sedona Jeep School
01-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Yep, middle uptown I believe. Although I think of it as being on the north side of the highway - not the east. There was a book store at one end of that shopping center and to the other side there was a grocery store and a bar with a big stuffed bear standing on its rear legs. I remember staying at the Brook Haven Hotel which was down on the creek somewhere below uptown, I believe. I witnessed Sedona get popular, crowded and littered. :( -Roger
Me, too--but tourist season is right around the corner, which means we can cull the herd, right? :eek: :D

Okay, the place you are talking about is now the Black Cow Cafe (sorry, west side, not east) next to the Cowboy Club, which used to be the Oak Creek Tavern--it had the polar bear back by the fireplace, and it was a bit rowdier (weren't we all). In the movie The Rounders (Glenn Ford and Henry Fonda), the bar brawl was filmed there. Wow, I don't remember Brook Haven, but I remember a lot of the old stores and pastures. I do feel old driving around town with people saying "I remember when..." :) You will have to reminisce with me when we do the "History Run".

Eric-- Las palabras mas importante: "Da me mas cerveza" y "Donde esta el bano?" :D

Quasimotor
02-03-2005, 10:22 AM

Proof:

Saturday, January 29, 2005, 1:00 PM
The Seven Pools (or, currently, The Falls), Sedona AZ (with Coffee Pot Rock in the background)

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=798&stc=1
Dios mio de mi vida! Are the polar caps melting? Did the earth roll over on its axis? I can't believe the winter we are having!

Nena,
A buddy and myself ran Broken arrow last Saturday and it was the same scene as your pic, absolutley beautiful! ( I like snow and playing on a slippery 3.0 trail added some challenge to it)

Only one pink jeep out and about doing some sweeping of snow (do they do this to prevent ice?) and we took tons of pictures.

This was a last minute trip after doing a run in the morning and I would have loved to have hung in Sedona and ran some other trails. My wife's a big fan of Sedona, and it's never a problem to drag her up there, so maybe we can do a multi-trail weekend sometime?

Where do you find the Jeep vortex anyways?
Jim

Sedona Jeep School
02-04-2005, 06:50 AM
...maybe we can do a multi-trail weekend sometime?
Where do you find the Jeep vortex anyways?
Jim
Actually, I have been talking about a weekend Jeep rally with Farabee--maybe in May. I will post here when we have some plans.

The Jeep vortex? :D I suppose that would be in your garage--don't you feel the money being sucked out of your pockets? :eek: ;)

Happy trails!