PDA

View Full Version : Homeless Vets

offroadz
04-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Is there any information I can give them to help them out? Do we have programs here locally where they can go to get help? Rather than give them a few bucks, I want to make sure there is somewhere they can go.

Thanks for all that have served.

weasel_ugs
04-20-2012, 06:04 PM
I think the VA would be a good place to start.

P.S. On second thought they told my dad they couldnt afford to pay for his cancer treatments so maybe they cant help

TJXtian
04-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Is there any information I can give them to help them out? Do we have programs here locally where they can go to get help? Rather than give them a few bucks, I want to make sure there is somewhere they can go.

Thanks for all that have served.

This is so nice...you're awesome! Now I want to go and search it out. There has to be SOMEthing.
Back home my husband and I ran an Off-Road Club that was also a Christian Outreach and we
worked with both shelters and food pantries to help out the less fortunate.

We've been here 6 months and haven't gotten back into that groove. Thank you for posting
this and reminding me of what we'd been called to do....we gotta get off our butts!

x2 with the thanks for serving!!!

sally
04-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Im a vet with 2 tours on my third and all the time i hear if i need help the VA is there. So like others have said id call there. But keep in mind there are a lot of vets and not as many doctors...but a good place to start none the less..

and your welcome i enjoy doing what i do.

TJXtian
04-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Glad you made it out there safely....now, do the same coming back!
It was nice meeting you the day you dropped off my husband's trailer. Be safe and happy.

:)

sally
04-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Glad you made it out there safely....now, do the same coming back!
It was nice meeting you the day you dropped off my husband's trailer. Be safe and happy.

:)

Thanks and will do. Just hope the time goes by fast im ready to wheel again

offroadz
04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestion on the VA. I'll have to mention it to some of the vets that I see and make sure they have a way to contact the VA also.

TRobertsRN
04-26-2012, 11:48 PM
I think the VA would be a good place to start.

P.S. On second thought they told my dad they couldnt afford to pay for his cancer treatments so maybe they cant help

By the way if Dad is old enough to have served during Vietnam and was even off shore on a ship he has money coming due to cancer. Diabetes, cancer and some other illnesses have been linked to agent orange exposure, and make disability pay available. You do not have to have been on land to get exposted. Marines and others coming aboard ship exposed everyone.

My dad is getting a check every month. His cancer doc did all the paperwork for this.

AZLugz
04-27-2012, 06:31 AM
In the Patriot Guard, we donate a lot of stuff to three places in downtown phoenix that are set up specifically for Homeless Vets. The Mens home is called the Mana House (Marines, Army,Navy, Air force), the Womens facility is called Sally's place, then there is another place we support called The Vet Store where we donate funiture and stuff that they give to homeless Vets that find a place but need to furnish it, the Vet Store is run by Veterans for Veterans at 1620 E McDowell Rd. They are a registered non profit, and can provide a tax id number. Their info Dave @ 602-253-0759 Please leave a message if necessary.

I have delivered stuff to all three of these places, met a group of the residents of the two shelters and toured the buildings and I must say that they do amazing things for vets in need. The store is not much to look at but has helped more than 90 vets fully furninish homes this yeaar alone and they are always looking for more stuff to help.

Mana house is down on Madison st in south Phoenix and the Womens house is farther north in mid phoenix.

I have a contact point that I can get more info from if you need it but if you search for Madison Street MANA house there is a website, I can't get there at work tho.

94WHYJ
07-09-2012, 02:15 PM
In the Patriot Guard, we donate a lot of stuff to three places in downtown phoenix that are set up specifically for Homeless Vets. The Mens home is called the Mana House (Marines, Army,Navy, Air force), the Womens facility is called Sally's place, then there is another place we support called The Vet Store where we donate funiture and stuff that they give to homeless Vets that find a place but need to furnish it, the Vet Store is run by Veterans for Veterans at 1620 E McDowell Rd. They are a registered non profit, and can provide a tax id number. Their info Dave @ 602-253-0759 Please leave a message if necessary.

Good to know. I always give my stuff to the Good Will but I would rather target Vets given a choice. Thanks for the info.

I have delivered stuff to all three of these places, met a group of the residents of the two shelters and toured the buildings and I must say that they do amazing things for vets in need. The store is not much to look at but has helped more than 90 vets fully furninish homes this yeaar alone and they are always looking for more stuff to help.

Mana house is down on Madison st in south Phoenix and the Womens house is farther north in mid phoenix.

I have a contact point that I can get more info from if you need it but if you search for Madison Street MANA house there is a website, I can't get there at work tho.

Good to know. I always give my stuff to the Good Will but I would rather target Vets given a choice. Thanks for the info.