PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras...

BRUZR
12-28-2004, 12:18 PM
I'm in the market for a digital camera and have looked at two specifically:

Konica Minolta Dimage Z1 (3.2MP, 10x optical zoom, and 4x digital zoom)
FujiFilm Finepix S3100 (4MP, 6x optical zoom, and max 3.4x digital zoom)

Obviously, it'll see A LOT of use on the trail, but it will be used for family picture taking, you know the norm...

Does anyone have a camera in the $200-$250 range that they really like other than these two?

DsrtJeeper
12-28-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm interested as well. I've had a digital camera in the past and it seemed like such a hassle. My standard 35mm camera always seemed to take better pics.
Between the cost of a digital camera and the ancilliary equipment needed; it can get pretty costly. (Read: Less mods to the Jeep. ;) )

JamesT
12-28-2004, 01:28 PM
I just bought a new camera after quite a few days of going to the store, looking at cameras, coming home looking on the internet for reviews & prices, going back to the store, and so on.

I was looking for a something in the 5-8MP range though.

I ended up getting a Kodak DX7590 (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DX7590/DX75A.HTM), 5.0MP 10x optical zoom. Most all of the independent reviews I read about it had good things to say. Best Buy has their SD 1gb memory cards on special right now, $79.99 -$20 rebate, which puts them at the same price as the 512mb cards.

blackeyedt
12-28-2004, 03:19 PM
after years of 35mm only photography, I made the jump to digital.. I was told to stay with a Carl Ziess lens...Sony seems to be the only one using Ziess optics..... I got mine for $300, 5mp 4x zoom... tons of options, It will even take little movie bursts! I love it ! :)

Rioshilo
12-28-2004, 05:20 PM
I just bought a Sony also. I really like it and it has tons of cool features. I like being able to take some video on the trail without taking my camcorder. The video does fill up the memory cards rather fast though.

I have my old digital still if anyone wants to buy a cheap digital to take on the trail. It's a Fujifilm FinePix 1400. 1.3MP

Rio

Crawldit
12-28-2004, 05:30 PM
I just bought my wife a Kodak Easyshare for Christmas. It's 4 mp with the video clip option as well. I forget the zoom ratios....but I bought it at Staples last week for $200 and it came with a free 128 memory card and a starter kit that had a little tripod, some paper and some photo software (among other things). I think that the image quality is comparable to the Minolta QTsi SLR 35mm that it's replacing. You've got lot's of options out there :D Good luck with your choice

BobnJeep
12-29-2004, 08:32 PM
I like being able to take some video on the trail without taking my camcorder. The video does fill up the memory cards rather fast though.

If you go to Costco, they have the cheapest 256 mb memory cards that I can find.
I have a Kodak Easyshare DX4530 thats my first Digital, and I love it! I shopped around a lot, and ended up with this one from Walmart. I think its 5.0+ MP. My biggest problem is downsizing the photos after I upload them to the puter. They end up 2000 x 1500 pixels wide, and I have to cut that down to 40% if I want to email them or upload them to this site.

Linda
12-30-2004, 11:40 AM
I have a Canon SureShot digital camera. It has a ruggedized aluminum case and it is about the size of a deck of cards. Takes great pictures. Mine is an old one. The new ones are in the 5Mp range and cost around $300.

My first digital was a Kodak DC-40. I got it as a graduation present in 1996. That camera took really good pictures, but used Kodak's proprietary software and format, but could convert to tif and jpg. I still use the software, Photo Enhancer, for modifying jpg images.

JamesT
12-30-2004, 12:22 PM
I was cruisin around the Kodak site and found out that since I bought my camera between 12/20-12/31, I can get a free 1Gb memory card. I filled out the forms yesterday and sent them in. Best Buy never mentioned this.

I just bought a new camera after quite a few days of going to the store, looking at cameras, coming home looking on the internet for reviews & prices, going back to the store, and so on.

I was looking for a something in the 5-8MP range though.

I ended up getting a Kodak DX7590 (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DX7590/DX75A.HTM), 5.0MP 10x optical zoom. Most all of the independent reviews I read about it had good things to say. Best Buy has their SD 1gb memory cards on special right now, $79.99 -$20 rebate, which puts them at the same price as the 512mb cards.

BRUZR
12-30-2004, 12:31 PM
I was cruisin around the Kodak site and found out that since I bought my camera between 12/20-12/31, I can get a free 1Gb memory card. I filled out the forms yesterday and sent them in. Best Buy never mentioned this.
1GB is A LOT of pictures, even at high res... :D

Crawldit
12-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Is this just for your style Kodak or all Kodaks??? I bought my wifes camera within that range of days and would love a 1 gb card. Do you have a link to a specific page? Thanks :D

JamesT
12-30-2004, 04:19 PM
1GB is A LOT of pictures, even at high res... :D

Yeah, when it comes in I will have 2 - 1Gbs. At 2Mb each that is 500 pics. The good thing about the SD memory is, it is the same kind I use to hold the maps in my GPS. It is also the same memory my palm pilot uses to store MP3's and other files.

Is this just for your style Kodak or all Kodaks??? I bought my wifes camera within that range of days and would love a 1 gb card. Do you have a link to a specific page? Thanks :D

Looks like it was just the model I bought. http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/products/highlights/rebates/1GBCardOffer.jhtml

You might try going to: http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/19&pq-locale=en_US
Then selecting your model camera and see what happens.