PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with U joints for both YJ (D30) front axle shafts

skullcaps
02-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Does anyone in Gilbert, QC, or San Tan have a press or something I could use to remove and replace the u joints in my front axles? I've already pulled the axle shafts out but I'm having trouble getting the old u joints out. I can take the axle shafts and new u joints to your location (along with a six pack?). Send me a PM, Thanks!

zjfabn
02-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Pull the clips with a set of pliers. Then use a large socket to receive and a small socket to hit them out with a hammer. Use are large C clamp and the small socket to press the new ones in or if your careful you can use the socket and hammer method. Install clips and tap the ears a little to set them and make sure they move freely and your done.

hogelectra
02-04-2012, 04:26 PM
That works - I've used the same technique

skullcaps
02-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the replies! That's the method I've successfully used before on my driveshafts. Been trying to do the same on the axle shafts but they're not moving. Maybe I'm being too big of a sissy with the BFH!

zjfabn
02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the replies! That's the method I've successfully used before on my driveshafts. Been trying to do the same on the axle shafts but they're not moving. Maybe I'm being too big of a sissy with the BFH!

Soak em with some PB and let them sit as long as you can up to 48 hours is enough. You can hit them pretty hard but be careful its no too hard or you'll bust an ear. Good luck.

62willy
02-04-2012, 09:50 PM
You might try a highlift and you bumper too but I think the shock from the hammer will probably work better

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mingoglia
02-04-2012, 10:25 PM
You're welcome to come by tomorrow morning/early afternoon and borrow my ujoint tool. I'm on Gilbert/Pecos.

Mike

skullcaps
02-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Well, I ended up borrowing a ball joint press from a neighbor and I've been at it all night with the impact and no success. They're soaking in PB now overnight.

mingoglia-Mike, is your ujoint tool something other than a ball joint press? If so, I'd like to give it a try tomorrow. Thanks!

ehall
02-05-2012, 05:39 AM
I always had good luck using a 2 sockets in my vise

zjfabn
02-05-2012, 07:22 AM
If there stuck pretty good, nothing beats the shock of a bfh and a socket to get them started. Ive had to hit some pretty ****ing hard.

mingoglia
02-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Well, I ended up borrowing a ball joint press from a neighbor and I've been at it all night with the impact and no success. They're soaking in PB now overnight.

mingoglia-Mike, is your ujoint tool something other than a ball joint press? If so, I'd like to give it a try tomorrow. Thanks!

Yeah, it's a ball joint press. Are you trying to remove it with a impact gun? I find these work best with the press as the impact tends to loosen stuff up easier than just using leverage. This should be all you need to remove the ujoints easily. I remember when I first got mine I used it to remove my 10 year old D30 ujoints on my Jeep which spent the first 8 years of it's life in Ohio. My ujoints were about as rusted as you'll find and it had no problem removing them.

skullcaps
02-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Got em all out guys, thanks for your encouragement! I don't know if it was the PB soak overnight that did it or the "I don't give a F if I break something, I just want these out" attitude, but they came out using the BFH and socket.

mingoglia
02-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Got em all out guys, thanks for your encouragement! I don't know if it was the PB soak overnight that did it or the "I don't give a F if I break something, I just want these out" attitude, but they came out using the BFH and socket.

If it helps, the next time you do this it will be much easier. The first time you're not confident enough to hit it hard enough... the second time you feel like an 'ol pro and just attack the damn things right off the bat. :-)

aribelin
02-05-2012, 11:03 AM
This discussion makes me know that I am really going to miss the 100 ton hydraulic press in my shop in Flagstaff, it made easy work of this automotive stuff. We have to press things for our business that even the 100 tons is barely enough, some things have "popped" with so much force that the buidling shakes when they finally let go.