PDA

View Full Version : Insurance help/ terriers/pitbulls

fatbob
01-18-2012, 05:02 PM
I kind of rescued an abandoned dog maybe 6 months ago.
And you guys know the story, couldn't find a home for her,
she gets along well with the other dogs, and now she is part of the family.:banghead:

So I'm trying to get homeowners insurance today, and I know better than to say
she's part pitbull, Sooo I tell them I have 1 Lab, 1 Boxer, and 1 Terrier mix.:)

I didn't fool them one bit. Geico will not insure anyone with a dog with any terrier in it.

Anybody have a GOOD animal friendly insurance companies to try?

Digger
01-18-2012, 05:18 PM
I feel for you, good luck. If you get a second chance, just say mix, looks mostly like a lab.

T-Ray
01-18-2012, 05:31 PM
I always said lab mix with my pure bred American Staffordshire, never failed even though she was black & brindle. Also make sure your vet lists it as lab mix & show a vet receipt with that on there to the insurance company. Register it with county as lab mix too. I doubt any insurance company is gonna come look & then take tests to determine breed. Good luck.

jpjeeper95
01-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Or just tell them you have two dogs . . .

mingoglia
01-18-2012, 05:36 PM
State Farm is Pitbull friendly.

Jeeperxtian
01-18-2012, 06:05 PM
I have Farmers and don't remember them asking. They know we have a rot/lab mix

fatbob
01-18-2012, 08:29 PM
I have State Farm but am looking for the best rates/ and or better agent, and maybe Farmers is worth a look.

Although I could be completely deceptive about the dog, I would prefer to spend my money with companies who do not practice dog racisim.:mad::smash:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jeeperxtian
01-18-2012, 08:42 PM
I did not get a bunch of quotes since I bought the house before moving to AZ from MD. Matt Long (my realtor) recommended them. Office is in Queen Creek for my agent. Typically has a good response time, better when I was getting the numbers and a little slower once signed up but always in a good time frame.

TRobertsRN
01-18-2012, 08:44 PM
I had to do some shopping around when I had rented out the house I live in now as my renters had pit bulls. I settled on All State as they don't care about the breed of the dogs.

Erica White is my agent.

623-875-0990 is her number or might be her partner Dean Wilheim's number.

Allen
01-19-2012, 12:02 AM
I kind of rescued an abandoned dog maybe 6 months ago.
And you guys know the story, couldn't find a home for her,
she gets along well with the other dogs, and now she is part of the family.:banghead:

So I'm trying to get homeowners insurance today, and I know better than to say
she's part pitbull, Sooo I tell them I have 1 Lab, 1 Boxer, and 1 Mutt.:)

I didn't fool them one bit. Geico will not insure anyone with a dog with any terrier in it.

Anybody have a GOOD animal friendly insurance companies to try?

Fixed!

My Green Jeep
01-19-2012, 03:24 PM
We use Liberty Mutual... they know what type of dogs we have... but then again I dont have big dogs...
I have 3 chihuahuas, 1 chihuahua/min pin mix, & a yokie/poodle/terrier/chihuahua mix

AZLugz
01-19-2012, 03:28 PM
We have USAA and they didn't ask about the dogs.....they balked a little when I told them the wife was Texan, but I just pay a few dollars more and now its ok

AZJeeps
01-19-2012, 06:40 PM
x2
I have Farmers and don't remember them asking. They know we have a rot/lab mix

Stay away from Geico's home owners. It is subbed out to American Strategic Ins. (ASI). They suck. My first year quote was good, but I had one claim with them for the hail storm in 2010, and my rate went up over $400.

aribelin
01-20-2012, 01:17 PM
.....they balked a little when I told them the wife was Texan, but I just pay a few dollars more and now its ok

;)

timgtndrty
01-20-2012, 05:58 PM
We have USAA and they didn't ask about the dogs.....they balked a little when I told them the wife was Texan, but I just pay a few dollars more and now its ok

;)

Hahaaha My girl is from East Texas... good to know! hahaha

Crunch
01-20-2012, 06:14 PM
I use State Farm on my home and the rentals, they will cover pitbulls, but I still wont rent to anyone with Pitbulls. You don't want to be deceptive about the breed or when you have to file a claim for the little girl that was malled they will find out. :(

mingoglia
01-20-2012, 11:34 PM
I use State Farm on my home and the rentals, they will cover pitbulls, but I still wont rent to anyone with Pitbulls. You don't want to be deceptive about the breed or when you have to file a claim for the little girl that was malled they will find out. :(

That's a very ignorant stand IMO (minus the part about being deceptive). I bet you don't like black people because statistically they're involved in a disproportionate amount of violent crimes?

AZXJ
01-20-2012, 11:55 PM
just put her down as an American bulldog..

Digger
01-21-2012, 05:37 AM
:) Great information everyone! I might just have to switch Insurance company (of 25 years) in the near future. I am fostering a new little friend, who was out of time at the county pound. Her face reminds me of Digger, and ...well so goes the story..
I picked her up yesterday, and she is a pit mix, but she is so tiny, 19lbs, her body is the size of a half roll of paper towels, with every bone easily seen, even in her tail. She is very friendly, non aggresive even with food in her staved condition. She doesn't seem to make any type of vocal noise. lol, she looks like a Chi. with a baby pit face.