PDA

View Full Version : House plumbing

blooddrive
12-31-2003, 09:03 AM
We are looking at purchasing a house that has galvanized piping. In so doing we are anticipating having to replumb it. Is copper plumbing still the best way to go? I've been told there is some newer stuff out that works better and is easier to install, but after the whole law suite thing with the polypropylene (sp) I'm not so sure I want to try experimental stuff unless it's a sure thing.

Qman
01-01-2004, 12:04 AM
Copper is still today really your only choice... There is a plastic Tubing they are using today but you have to have a special tool to expand the plastic around the Fittings and it is very reliable but it is like a $500 tool and i know it is hard to find at if at all at Rental Places...not sure what City Code is but they use CPVC back in the Midwest alot and it is as reliable as PVC if not better... if you are going to be doing it yourself then your best bet is Probably copper. I just bought a house that had Galv. pipes and i had to replace them all last spring wasn't easy but i have done it alot in the past so it really depends on what kind of experiance you have to how easy it is going to be and how many holes you feel comfertable punching in the walls... Good luck

blackeyedt
01-02-2004, 07:39 AM
Yes, stick with copper... Since the first plastic tubing or "spaghetti" type pipe came out 10+ years ago, it has proven to not be reliable....lots of manufacturers have come and gone but the problem has always been longevity...good luck.. Bob J