PDA

View Full Version : DVD recorders ??

JamesT
12-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Anyone have a DVD recorder that connects to the TV/VCR/DVD player/Video camera. I am not looking for one that connects to the computer. I would like to get some old videos on DVD and an easy way to transfer from the camcorder to a DVD.

There are quite a few out now and I am just wondering which ones are the best buy(s), the best quality or any other options.

I kind of like the GoVideo setup that has a VCR and DVD recorder all in one. This would allow me to get rid of the VCR I have now. Another plus for GoVideo, I like helping out the local companies (GoVideo was started in Tempe, I am not sure if they are still there or not). I am not sure how these units work with the other inputs, i.e., camcorder, DVD player, TV, TIVO (future thoughts) or similar.

I thought maybe HP had one that could be hooked up to the computer or a video center console. I dunno for sure though.

TIA

John in AZ
12-02-2004, 05:56 PM
I have a govideo dvd recorder right now. Have had it for a year seems to be working still. I just went with my dad to get one for him & we decided on the LG one with dvd & vhs it makes dubbing real easy I guess. The big factor to me was it was one of very few that would record in either + or - dvd format.
John

jeepin_in_az
12-02-2004, 07:13 PM
James, I have a Samsung, it was about $350. Not totally impressed by it, I have had some problems with chapters not showing up on DVD's. I have wasted as many DVD's that I have burned. Don't know if it is my doing, or the burners??? I used cheapo DVD -R, and Verbatim DVD -R. The Verbatim seem to work more consistanley, but still have problems with the chapters.

You are more than welcome to come over and try it, I have some blank DVD's you can use.

One bad thing about going from tape to DVD...you don't have chapter selection, unless you stop the recording session, and start it again. Seems like no problem, but it becomes a PITA.

OlneyJeeps
12-02-2004, 09:09 PM
on a related note, anyone got a portable (for use in vehicle) DVD player they want to sell/trade for something (driving to Montana soon)

jeepin_in_az
12-03-2004, 08:16 AM
on a related note, anyone got a portable (for use in vehicle) DVD player they want to sell/trade for something (driving to Montana soon)

I just bought one from Target, under $200. Works fine, but not the one I wanted (over $700!)

Kohls has one on sale for $150ish, 7" screen...about the best deal I have seen. They usually advertize them in thier circular, but be warned: Get there at 5:30 AM before they open, they are the first items to be sold out.